Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Sonic 4

Postby sonny2727 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:41 pm

looking at the sizes which correspond to Soul sizes its obvious FS wants the Soul riders to upgrade. But this segment is crowded with some very good kites from Ozone and Gin. Wonder how Sonic 4 compares to Instinct HB which weighs the same

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 am

Some videos where the more fluid turn characteristics can be seen. with the Sonic3 they get more pivotish, with loss of drive bc the kite has to accelerate again. A finer hand on the bar of the S3 is needed to turn it in a sharp radius , without stalling the inner tip. This looks very good with the S4, more dynamic turns within a narrow radius. The kite seems to be very tolerant to backstalling and easy to fly and landing higher jump

this guy has a gentle hand

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:29 pm

So far most testers told about MORE power (at least when boosting high). Not sure about speed, though.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:44 pm

Hi. Two days ago I had my first session with the new Flysurfer Sonic 4 12 m.....this kite is simply awesome, way better than the previous version, lighter, faster, more reactive and stable. The wind was ranging from 8 to 14 Knots, very gusty and on/off nevertheless I had a lot of fun. Now I'm looking forward to having a TT session with It.

Cheers
Carlo
These users thanked the author haiku for the post:
nothing2seehere (Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:06 pm

looking at the sizes which correspond to Soul sizes its obvious FS wants the Soul riders to upgrade. But this segment is crowded with some very good kites from Ozone and Gin. Wonder how Sonic 4 compares to Instinct HB which weighs the same
You are getting at the crux of the matter. The Sonic 3 was abandoned by many big air riders because it is unstable in gusty winds. The Soul 2 is more stable than the Sonic 3 by a wide margin. However, the Gin Spirit and Instinct HB are both more stable than the Soul 2, but perform at the level of the Sonic 3. So, the question I have is how does the Sonic 4 compare to the Gin Instinct HB and Chrono v4.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:10 pm

I just had my first session on the Sonic 4 15m.

Not going to go into much now as I am knackered.

It is basically a much higher performance version of the Soul 2. Turns so much quicker than my S3 15m, it's so damn stable, quite incredible. Launching was no drama and when static, there is very little pull in the kite. It flies very much from the front lines and overall a very refined kite.

10/10 IMO.

Tony

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:56 pm

For ultra-low wind hydrofoiling I wanted to enhance my kite quiver. I already had Sonic3 11m which I found a bit stiff on low wind hydrofoiling, it pulls in ridiculous wind but I wanted more agility and dynamic behaviour. On Peak series I have v4 5m which I can ride lower winds than experienced friends with lei & twintips but I wanted to go lower on Peak-like behaviour but with jumping and high wind twintipping.

In short I wanted a kite which to use hydrofoiling, twintip and snowkiting, including jumping and even racing. I decided to skip peaks over 5m and also hybrid (7.5m+) for ultra low wind did not raise will to purchase.

I got Sonic4 8m. What a kite for my multi-discipline wishes. On first flight I rode it for 62km (40miles?) with hydrofoil freeriding.

I got very thrilled about it during my hf session as I found it capable of pulling me from water to board in every circumstances I encountered. With Peak4 5m maany loops would have been required. It was just easy. Tacking kite via zenith was possible to very low winds and kite drifted enough for tacks. Also on beach 20m sprints under the kite just made it drift, not frontstall. It has on command lift for footswitches and provides nice power for jumping. Can't wait for more sessions. :jump:
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
djdojo (Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:01 am)

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:10 am

joriws wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:56 pm
For ultra-low wind hydrofoiling I wanted to enhance my kite quiver.
I'm keen to hear more as you get more sessions in. I tried a 7m Soul to extend low end below my Peak4 5m, and it did, but I didn't enjoy the heavy feel. By this I mean the requirement for so much more line tension than the Peaks just to keep the kite in the air. I ended up selling it to a guy who likes to ride more powered.

I understand that no twinskin will stay in the air with low line tension like the Peaks, but wondering if the Sonic 4 comes closer, or if that requires lower aspect like the Hyperlink? Obviously other performance characteristics will differ widely, but the bottom line is that it's no fun if you have to work too hard just to keep the kite up. Everything beyond that is more negotiable. And I understand that bigger sizes stay up in less wind, but I tend to ride pretty underpowered compared to other foilers, so I'm only potentially interested in the 8m. Cheers

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:50 am

Smeagle wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:29 pm
So far most testers told about MORE power (at least when boosting high). Not sure about speed, though.
SPEED is downgraded....

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:52 am

djdojo wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:10 am
joriws wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:56 pm
For ultra-low wind hydrofoiling I wanted to enhance my kite quiver.
I'm keen to hear more as you get more sessions in. I tried a 7m Soul to extend low end below my Peak4 5m, and it did, but I didn't enjoy the heavy feel. By this I mean the requirement for so much more line tension than the Peaks just to keep the kite in the air. I ended up selling it to a guy who likes to ride more powered.

I understand that no twinskin will stay in the air with low line tension like the Peaks, but wondering if the Sonic 4 comes closer, or if that requires lower aspect like the Hyperlink? Obviously other performance characteristics will differ widely, but the bottom line is that it's no fun if you have to work too hard just to keep the kite up. Everything beyond that is more negotiable. And I understand that bigger sizes stay up in less wind, but I tend to ride pretty underpowered compared to other foilers, so I'm only potentially interested in the 8m. Cheers
Unfortunately I do not have experience with Soul series of kites, only ridden 18m for 30min to check against my former 15m Sonic2 and what I recall Soul was much more heavier/stiffer. On lower AR, my previous 8m kite was Speed4 DLX which is 10y old - back then HF were not existing. Speed4 is very fast & light and is actually IMO quite good for HF. But my old Speed the fabric is worn out mechanically so that was partially the purchasing trigger for Sonic4. It is very hard to say low/high AR differences without flying them at the same session back to back on about the same wind. Both AR would stay in the air, but I mean how much effort/attention to keep kite up per AR.

On low wind relaunch, now I got experience on that, here is the video with my feet on the bottom. No problemo.

Wind was 10km away 4 m/s but usually on this bay location it is that wind speed minus 1-2 m/s. So I'd say 4-6 knots or 2-3m/s for the wind. Kite stayed up quite nicely backstalling sometimes but not dropping due to lack of wind - but I could not ride it on that wind for 3 main reasons; hf front wing too big & buoyant making hard to submerge it, bay a bit too shallow preventing longer looping and wind a bit too low for my weight for instant acceleration. At the same time 6m Peak5 was flying nicely and a bit less backstall, and lighter rider could not get foiling too when I was on water trying at the same time.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
djdojo (Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:18 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”