For all foil kite riders
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

line tangle even if bar left on?

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:52 pm

Hi all, I have a 12m soul that I leave the bar on, any idea why sometimes I still have to disconnect and re-attach the lines to get them right? Sometimes they are fine but sometimes as I walk up from the bar by the time I get to the kite I have to detach the steering line as its got a few twists around the centre line?

any thoughts appreciated!

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Re: line tangle even if bar left on?

Postby jbrodin » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:17 pm

Either you have threaded the bar through lines when wrapping or unwrapping, or the kite have inverted or threaded itself through the bridals. The latter happens quite easily if the kite rolls about about during a self landing.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:34 pm

You have to be careful after landing where you place the bar so you don't get one of the lines crossed over another and wind them up that way. Make sure that the kite is laid out for a launch and there are no crossed lines before winding your lines up. Also, after winding them up I put two half hitches of the lines around the bar (overkill as one may do) and keep the bar outside of the kite. When you lay out your lines before launching you need to make sure you unwind them without any lines going under the bar (or backside of the bar). Holding the bar near the chicken loop will prevent this.

Another thing I noticed about my 12m Soul is that the mixer can get twisted and the rings on the flying lines makes it hard to get the twist out after launching. I've had to run downwind and shake the lines to get the twist out. To avoid this I make sure the mixer is wide open with the lines separated before launching.

Hope this helps.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:38 pm

You *never* have to disconnect/reattach lines.

I f something is crossed you can just stick the bar through the lines at the right place.

It doesn't even matter, if the kite inverted through the lines or if you put the bar through, it can always be resolved by putting the bar through lines.

How to prepare for start: First unroll the bar only 1..2m, you only need the full mixer free. Untangle everything upside of the line connectors. After that unroll the rest of lines, take center lines between legs, outer lines in your hands and walk from kite to the bar. First time you try it walk close to the bar ~2..3m, and fix the four lines with some stones etc and look at the lines between that point and bar. First remove any bar rotations and after that you should see how the lines cross and remove those crosses by sticking the bar through. Hard to explain, easy to do with some practice.

First time this will look very complicated, but after you have done that a few times it will be easy, you won't even need to fix the lines, will be enough to walk to the bar, lift the bar with lines still in your hand, it will "unwind" and you will see the crosses and resolve them without even laying down the lines on the ground.

And when you get more routine with packing/unpacking it will not happen very often, most of the time your lines will be just fine.

- Oliver

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:53 pm

that's a line inversion. You don't walk it out from the bar to the kite when you keep lines attached, walk it out from the kite to the control bar. Then when you are at the control bar, if there's a line inversion just flip the control bar around. Easy.

as for the advice "be more careful" i never do that I'm in such a damn hurry to launch and land I never get it right. But fixing a line inversion is simple.

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:08 am

thanks so much all, thats super helpful

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am

I used to get this all the time - literally every single time. I worked out that my method of wrapping bridles onto separate bar ends (after I got to the pigtails) to make tidying easier made it more likely to happen. If you leave the bridles longer and wrap them in the last roll of the kite then it seems a lot less likely to happen because the chance of the bar passing inside the lines is a lot reduced.

I changed to the pack up method I saw on the forum and this happens a lot less

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:05 pm

These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
edt (Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:53 pm

Toby that's exactly how I do it too. I also have a line inversion fixing video.

Anyway remember, if you keep the lines attached always walk out the lines FROM the kite TO the bar. If you walk them out from the bar to the kite then you can't fix the line inversion. Only walk them out from the bar to the kite if the lines are not already attached.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:11 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:53 pm
Toby that's exactly how I do it too. I also have a line inversion fixing video.

Anyway remember, if you keep the lines attached always walk out the lines FROM the kite TO the bar. If you walk them out from the bar to the kite then you can't fix the line inversion. Only walk them out from the bar to the kite if the lines are not already attached.
perfect ! I didn't know about this, guess foil riders have way more experience with this.

Return to “Foil Kites”