Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul 2 15m Low Wind Advice

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:05 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:36 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:46 pm
Longer lines and a longer bar will help you get the most out of the Soul 15m bottom end. You are a big boy so a little larger board will help with the planning as well. Looping to start is the key. Not sure how you sunk a kite because of a broken line but my suggestion is to practice recoveries a couple times(with the kite you don't want anymore) so you have it down for when it really happens again.

=Jason-
I was on a minimal board and rough seas and about a mile offshore. No way to pack the kite up and put on board as it has literally almost no volume. It quickly became a sea anchor.
My advice, if you are pushing the low end of the wind range and you don't want to lose expensive equipment or worst, put yourself in a very real life threatening situation, get a board with some volume.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:09 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:05 pm
Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:46 pm
Longer lines and a longer bar will help you get the most out of the Soul 15m bottom end. You are a big boy so a little larger board will help with the planning as well. Looping to start is the key. Not sure how you sunk a kite because of a broken line but my suggestion is to practice recoveries a couple times(with the kite you don't want anymore) so you have it down for when it really happens again.

=Jason-
I was on a minimal board and rough seas and about a mile offshore. No way to pack the kite up and put on board as it has literally almost no volume. It quickly became a sea anchor.
My advice, if you are pushing the low end of the wind range and you don't want to lose expensive equipment or worst, put yourself in a very real life threatening situation, get a board with some volume.
That's good advice, and my thinking was that a board with more volume may make it easier to get going in low wind. What do you think? If you have any suggestions about the amount of volume I should look for and /or any boards you would recommend, I am open to it.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:01 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:09 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:05 pm
Kitedougiefresh wrote:

That's good advice, and my thinking was that a board with more volume may make it easier to get going in low wind. What do you think? If you have any suggestions about the amount of volume I should look for and /or any boards you would recommend, I am open to it.
It would most definitely help with the ultimate low end as well. It will let you plan easier while it may take a couple more loops to finally getup on foil. I have ridden Groove boards for quite awhile now and love them. You can still get them super short but with volume so they are still playful but won't sink completely when you put your weight on them waiting out a lull or needing to do a self recovery. They also will customize the board to whatever you want. I honestly have no idea what amount of volume is appropriate but for example I'm 79kgs and I ride a custom Wave board from Groove thats 100cm long. This board has a very narrow tail as well so its more like a 90cm board. They always have been pretty helpful with suggestions and recommendations as well.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:34 pm)

rafinhakite_
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 63
Local Beach: Brasília
Favorite Beaches: Lago Paranoá
Style: Foil
Gear: F-one foil e breeze

Postby rafinhakite_ » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:20 pm

I have a Soul 2 10 m and Hydrofoil wing 1000. I'm 65 kg. With a Soul 15 would I be able to take better advantage of the minimum wind or would the lowend be very similar?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:01 pm

rafinhakite_ wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:20 pm
I have a Soul 2 10 m and Hydrofoil wing 1000. I'm 65 kg. With a Soul 15 would I be able to take better advantage of the minimum wind or would the lowend be very similar?
You are really light. While the 15m will give you a better low end and be able to achieve is easier, you will quickly be overpowered on that size. You might want to try a larger hydrofoil wing first.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:48 pm

rafinhakite_ wrote:
The 15mtr Soul is a bit of a truck, gets overpowered quickly, after trying one I bought the 15mtr Sonic instead which is a great kite. But, in ultra light I use the 10mtr on slightly longer lines, it’s 1kg lighter, easier to manage, faster and easy to roll up when you have that inevitable swim in.

Once the wind hits around 8 knots I’m back on the 15 for tacks, the 10 just doesn’t do tacks in light wind, not enough lift.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
rafinhakite_ (Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:28 pm)

rafinhakite_
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 63
Local Beach: Brasília
Favorite Beaches: Lago Paranoá
Style: Foil
Gear: F-one foil e breeze

Postby rafinhakite_ » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:31 pm

airsail wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:48 pm
rafinhakite_ wrote:
The 15mtr Soul is a bit of a truck, gets overpowered quickly, after trying one I bought the 15mtr Sonic instead which is a great kite. But, in ultra light I use the 10mtr on slightly longer lines, it’s 1kg lighter, easier to manage, faster and easy to roll up when you have that inevitable swim in.

Once the wind hits around 8 knots I’m back on the 15 for tacks, the 10 just doesn’t do tacks in light wind, not enough lift.
That's what's happening to me, the Soul 10 doesn't have enough power for light wind tacks. I can do the tacks in the bursts.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:49 pm

rafinhakite_ wrote:
That's what's happening to me, the Soul 10 doesn't have enough power for light wind tacks. I can do the tacks in the bursts.
I used to think that, but with practice I found that if you can waterstart, you can tack. Just send the kite late and don’t sheet in too much. You may have to loop it at the end to keep going but it’s possible to tack consistently.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:39 am

Jyoder wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:49 pm
rafinhakite_ wrote:
I used to think that, but with practice I found that if you can waterstart, you can tack. Just send the kite late and don’t sheet in too much. You may have to loop it at the end to keep going but it’s possible to tack consistently.
I should add that I mean light wind tacks with foot switch, regular tacks without foot switch work in any wind, but add a foot switch mid way and you need the lift of the kite to become weightless to switch feet.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:41 pm

rafinhakite_ wrote:
With your weight and foil size that 10m is perfect. I wouldn’t recommend the 15 at all. Maybe get a specific low wind bar, meaning a 55cm with 24 to 27m ultrathin lines (that’s what I’ll be building for this kite to unlock a bit more lowend)

Return to “Foil Kites”