For all foil kite riders
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Tuto how to jump on a foil kite

Postby edt » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:50 pm

The main difference in a soul and a tube kite is 1) it's slower and 2) there's less pop than a tube kite. What this means is when you are popping on a tube kite you can really dig in and have a short takeoff. For the soul you want to have a relatively gentle pop, as it won't yank you off the water like the pop of a tube kite will. So a longer more gentle bigger curve on the pop. The second thing is because the soul is slower than a tube kite you need to start the boost sooner. Everything needs to be done slightly ahead in timing for the soul over the tube because it takes more time for the kite to get to the right spot. So for instance, on a tube kite you might initiate the jump 1/2 second before you leave the water. For the soul you might initiate the jump about 3/4 of a second before the jump

All kites lose power when they turn as it deforms the canopy, but the tube kites lose a lot less power when you yank hard on it and deform the kite. The soul by contrast tends to loose a lot more power when you turn it too hard and deform the canopy, as the kite really needs to be in a perfect shape for you to get maximal lift.

Every foil kite is different but in general you want to be more gentle overall, and take things slower so you don't dump all your power by deforming the kite. It really helps of course if you have a kicker, then you can really pop hard as you like using the kicker instead of the kite for pop.

Chriz76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kite Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Chriz76 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:05 pm

funalex wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 pm
there are some 12m jumps here with the same process... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wV4TDtFAQ or here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7OKvHHN0f8
Thank you for the videos. You are depowering on your way down. This seeemed to help me, too.

I only tried the heli loops a few times on my way down when I already dropped my foil board but it still always ended with a very unpleasant landing when the loop crashed me into the water.

What I couldn't see in your videos is the bar before takeoff. Are you sheeting out the bar while the kite goes up to twelve before you launch the jump and pull in the bar again?

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:20 pm

You need to steer more firmly than with a tube. Send it hard and fast up, and hard and fast to the front again when coming down. The kite can backstall and become slow, to make it move faster for the catch, unsheathing slightly can help.
These users thanked the author jbrodin for the post:
Chriz76 (Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Mellowyellow
Medium Poster
Weight: 62
Local Beach: South west France
Style: All round
Gear: Reedin supermodel

Postby Mellowyellow » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:09 pm

As I started the topic I would like to re focus on my subject please.

How to jump high with a twintip on a foil kite airwave koala 8m (pretty similar to a flysurfer soul 8m).

To sum up things :
- You said I need very high wind (more than a tube kite ?)
- Bringing the kite to 12 more slowly that a tube kite ? Or more firmly ?
- Starting to pop less aggressively than on a tube kite
- sheet the bar in earlier than on a tube kite and slower. - and keep the bar sheet in as long as possible ?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:30 pm

Remember this is the internet. You have a dozen contradictory answers. It's up to you to figure out which of these answers is correct. It could be one or maybe two answers are correct but there's not much chance every answer is correct and you just have to combine them all together like a stew.

knucklehead beginner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 180 LBS
Gear: lots of kites

Postby knucklehead beginner » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:42 am

. there are some 12m jumps here with the same process... or here
I have a couple suggestions after viewing your video:

1. Launching - Try putting sand all the way around the front of the leading edge. If you weight that kite down more you can maximize the pre-inflation. Using a lot of sand, I am able to almost completely pre-inflate the kite without inversions in strong wind. It may be hard on the kite, but so much safer.

2. You are sending the kite past zenith, you could go higher by popping a tad sooner and then only taking the kite to zenith.

I need to try the Pansch Kestrel. I just wonder how it compares to the Gin Spirit and Ozone R1 V4, my current favorite boosting kites.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:54 am

MellowYellow and Chrisz,

Please give us a little more info.

1 How much do you weigh?
2. What size foil kite are you taking out for given conditions?
3. are you seeing a decrease in jump height since moving to a foil or about the same?
4. Are your landings always soft or do you frequently crash?
5. Are you doing straight airs or doing tricks?

A little more information is helpful.

Expectations - if you are not afraid of riding a kite that seems a bit large for the prevailing conditions, you should expect to see the following jump heights:
18m 8 to 12m jumps
15m 8 to 14m jumps
12m 8 to 16m jumps
10m 8 to 18m jumps
All with SOFT landings.

8m and smaller foil kites in strong winds are another story. Yes, you can go very high, but launching an 8m in high wind is risky business. I personally prefer to move to an LEI in strong winds.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:44 am

See,

even that is opposite of some expert Soul riders who would rather take smaller Soul on >30kn.
But that is related to the wind.
We have ultra strong seabreeze. Not cold front, but constant wind, no gusts, summer temp.

And flat water. So 8m will take you to the Moon, with looping it if having guts. And our riders do.

So for 8m sorry, but that really needs 25kn min.
Im on 10m V2 on 20kn. 60kg, board 120cm hand made.

On >25kn the 80kg guy on 8m Soul is killing it. Plus, 1500Euros board. The jumps he does are insane. But man, his leg is like my waist, I cant hold that edge like he does.
His landings are ultra fast. Me? Feather like.

Both of us are on a seat harness, huge bar throw.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:51 am

My best jumps with a foil kite come with the 'Big kite' technique. This is max speed and slowly bring the kite up to about 11. Then at 11 (or 1) you crank the bar as you start your upwind carve. I could never hold down an edge just cranking the bar from low down like I could on an LEI. Have the same problems with 12m and bigger LEI kites where I can't just crank the bar if its not light wind.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
funalex (Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:34 am

knucklehead beginner wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:42 am
. there are some 12m jumps here with the same process... or here
I have a couple suggestions after viewing your video:

1. Launching - Try putting sand all the way around the front of the leading edge. If you weight that kite down more you can maximize the pre-inflation. Using a lot of sand, I am able to almost completely pre-inflate the kite without inversions in strong wind. It may be hard on the kite, but so much safer.

2. You are sending the kite past zenith, you could go higher by popping a tad sooner and then only taking the kite to zenith.

I need to try the Pansch Kestrel. I just wonder how it compares to the Gin Spirit and Ozone R1 V4, my current favorite boosting kites.
Regarding Ozone R1 V4 - do you use the original bridal or re-inforced replacement. I find lines quite thin and wonder jumping with R1 in high wind

Return to “Foil Kites”