Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

R1 V4 vs Chrono V4

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: R1 V4 vs Chrono V4

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:27 pm

Regarding Chrono V1 and V2. I owned both of these kites in 15 and 18m sizes. The depower range was limited and they are terrible in gusty wind. That is why I didn’t even try a V3.

A friend let me try the R1 V4 13m and I jumped 21m in the first session without even trying.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
Guttorm (Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Guttorm » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:45 am

How difficult is it to change out the "flimsy brideles" on the R1 v4 for better ones?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 am

fernmanus wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:27 pm
Regarding Chrono V1 and V2. I owned both of these kites in 15 and 18m sizes. The depower range was limited and they are terrible in gusty wind. That is why I didn’t even try a V3.

A friend let me try the R1 V4 13m and I jumped 21m in the first session without even trying.
Your statement of old Chronos sounds weird to me. Indeed Chrono V1 was unstable in gusts, when I first tried it I thought it was a complete failure. It just kept collapsing time after time and you had to be constantly alert to prevent it happen

Chrono V2 is very different kite, they changed airfoil to much more stable and also bridle is made of high quality line even though it's a bit old fashioned design. As far as I've used V2 it has been completely stable and also wingtips are rock solid, definitely a good kite even by today's standards. Depower is good also, it is easy to hold it so far it boosts well.

I was thinking to buy a second hand R1V4 but thin bridle and thin fabric are less than appealing features. When there is enough wind to boost high these things are pretty much insignificant

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:12 am

Guttorm wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:45 am
How difficult is it to change out the "flimsy brideles" on the R1 v4 for better ones?
A few hours work, assuming you bought a new complete bridle set.

If you also have to make each line I would just replace the broken ones as the lines are strong enough when the kite is flying and are only prone to brake when launching, relaunching and bow-tying the kite. Most likely to break are the 25DaN primary lines close to the kite.

KappuhH
Medium Poster

Postby KappuhH » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:28 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:12 am
Guttorm wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:45 am
A few hours work, assuming you bought a new complete bridle set.

If you also have to make each line I would just replace the broken ones as the lines are strong enough when the kite is flying and are only prone to brake when launching, relaunching and bow-tying the kite. Most likely to break are the 25DaN primary lines close to the kite.
What is the standard line thickness/strength are often used in the bridles of an R1? And what type of lines that go through the pulleys?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:56 am

It's a mix of edelrid 8000 series aramid bridle lines in the range of 25-190DaN. The exact strength for each line should be stated in the line plan.

Pulley lines are sheeted dyneema. Similar to what flysurfer uses.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
KappuhH (Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:50 am)

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:11 pm

[quote=fernmanus post_id

The amount of depower is also greater on a foil. You should be looking at a Gin Instinct, Flysurfer Sonic 4 or Ozone Chrono 4. The Ozone R1 V4 will outperform those 3, but I can’t recommend it due to the flimsy bridles.

I can tell you that I have jumped over 15m high on the 18 Gin Instinct and over 20 on the 15m Instinct. Never got close on the big Edges. Only got that high on an 11m Edge.

[/quote]

How does gin instinct compare to chrono v4 in terms of build quality, performance , canopy materials bridle stretch or just overall? Funny gin used the name for ozone’s first lei kite from about 17 years ago.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:55 pm

Gin, Ozone and FS are all high quality products. Instinct has thin bridles which I've seen to shrink and fray but I'm afraid all kites having such bridles are pretty much similar. Sheathed bridles do last longer and tangle less but they have more drag and weight.

FS has had most complicated and most advanced designs and some useful details like LCL's, LMT and easily adjustable mixers. But nowadays many other kites also have adjustable mixers and even Pansh has very sophisticated design in kites like Hawk and Kestrel, they are not simple "cheap" kites at all. So this FS design edge has got much smaller than it used to be.

Instinct, Sonic3/4, latest Chronos and R1V4 have all very high performance. They rate a notch above Speed4/5 which already easily beat every LEI kite for upwind and hangtime. R1 being a race kite is no doubt fastest of these if you race and guys like Jamie show how good it is for big air and air style. But of course Jamie could boost very high on all of these kites.

I've had couple of sessions with PL AeroV2. It is also very impressive kite, high cell count, very technical and boosts high like Instinct does. At least in those times I was on it it felt stable an reactive. R1V2 I tested felt worse than Aero.
Last edited by kitexpert on Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
papasmerf (Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:08 pm)

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:10 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:55 pm
Gin, Ozone and FS are all high quality products. Instinct has thin bridles which I've seen to shrink and fray but I'm afraid all kites having such bridles are pretty much similar. Sheathed bridles do last longer and tangle less but they have more drag and weight.

FS has had most complicated and most advanced designs and some useful details like LCL's, LMT and easily adjustable mixers. But nowadays many others kites also have adjustable mixers and even Pansh has very sophisticated design in kites like Hawk and Kestrel, they are not simple "cheap" kites at all. So this FS design edge has got much smaller than it used to be.

Instinct, Sonic3/4, latest Chronos and R1V4 have all very high performance. They rate a notch above Speed4/5 which already easily beat every LEI kite for upwind and hangtime. R1 being a race kite is no doubt fastest of these if you race and guys like Jamie show how good it is for big air and air style. But of course Jamie could boost very high on all of these kites.

I've had couple of sessions with PL AeroV2. It is also very impressive kite, high cell count, very technical and boosts high like Instinct does. At least in those times I was on it it felt stable an reactive. R1V2 I tested felt worse than Aero.
has gin been around as long as ozone and flysurfer? maybe i am out of touch, but i have only heard the name in the last 2 years. did they just come out of nowhere to be on par with what i consider the 2 leaders in the foil kite world?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:39 pm

Gin has made high quality PG's for very long time and also snow kites from the early years of sport. But those kites were more like Ozone Frenzy level than FS Psycho/Speed level kites. One of their snow kite had an interesting feature, so called V-bottom which made kite slightly lighter in weight, also having a bit less volume. That kite also had very complicated mixer and more line rows than what is usual.
I rate Gin same level brand as FS and Ozone are. Instinct is very very good foil kite, one of my all time favorites
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
papasmerf (Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”