Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where Can I buy bridle line?

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Where Can I buy bridle line?

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:08 am

I want to upgrade the bridles on my Ozone R1V4. The line manufacturer is Eldrid. I can’t find a source on the internet.

My local paragliding shop will make me lines at $25 per line, so replacing all of the thin lines gets expensive fast. I am thinking of just buying a spool on unsheathed kevlar line. Question, could I use kevlar fishing line? It is easy and cheap to source, but I have no idea if it is as strong.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where Can I buy bridle line?

Postby ieism » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:32 am

Im not sure what you mean by "bridle" line, and what is referred to online as bridle line is often for tube kites and different too. Are you talking about the thinnest lines directly on the kite? It's not very easy to replace these on a foil kite I'm guessing. I've build my own flying lines, you have to splice and getting the length right is very tricky. I would not be able to do foilkite top bridles myself properly because they are not equal length and I do not know how much the material stretches or shrinks after splicing. And I would certainly not attempt to do it with a line intended for fishing.

There are people on here who build their own foilkites, so they would know. Look for diy foilkite.

That said, Liros sells this and in paraglide we call this top- or gallery lines. An online source for Liros in Europe would be blackbox-sailing.de
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
fernmanus (Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:28 pm

The exact specifications for line length are on-line. There are videos available showing how to splice lines.

I am looking for a US Distributer.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Smeagle » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:02 pm

25$ per line is not reasonable IMO... My local line shop sells line per m, those lines are usually not very expensive, normally below 1€/m. And if you can't splice I would learn it... My local shop asks 5€ / splice. It's a little difficult on very thin lines, it is possible they would charge a little more? Not sure. I would really make this myself.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:49 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:08 am
unsheathed kevlar line. Question, could I use kevlar fishing line? It is easy and cheap to source, but I have no idea if it is as strong.
Do not use kevlar. While it is strong it is brittle and breaks if bent repeatedly. The only type of line you want to use is some kind of UHMWPE like Dyneema for instance. You can use any dyneema you like. Stunt kites use a size of dyneema that is suitable for foil kite bridles and it's quite easy to source. You can get a 50 meter spool of kite line 100 kg strength for about $25 retail. I can't remember off hand what the exact specs are of the original bridles, so make sure you match or exceed those specs. Do not use any other kind of material, not kevlar not any other high strength line. Some material is too stretchy some of it is not UV resistant, sometimes it's somewhat brittle compared to dyneema. Only buy dyneema or the equivalent (like spectra). If you want to splice it yourself be careful and make sure it's 12 strand dyneema, as a lot of that stunt kite line is 4 strand not 12 strand. If you find 12 strand dyneema fishing line that's ok too. Just make sure it's UHMWPE. At a guess this task might take more than 40 hours. It's a lot of measuring. The splicing doesn't take too long but getting the length right takes time. The only reason I would do this is for the learning experience.

Label your lines carefully before you take them off. You want to be able to reverse this in case you screw up somewhere in the measurements.

The actual lines that go to the kite are much weaker than the mixer lines by the way. The lines in the mixer can be somewhere between 200-500 kg breaking strength so they are pretty thick. The smaller lines that attach on the kite are much smaller and weaker, but I'm not sure of the typical breaking strength. If you are replacing all of the flying lines, all the mixer, and all the bridle you will want a range of thicknesses.

Return to “Foil Kites”