Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Repairing Peak bridle

For all foil kite riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Repairing Peak bridle

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:47 am

Just came off the water after a great session on my 4m Peak4 and noticed that the sleeving on a section of one of the bridle lines (the trailing edge) has come off /worn away. I've got to assume this was due to some rubbing at some point. Only the white internal line is intact. I was thinking I could use the B-safe grey line to replace that section of line, tying a knot with a larks head at each end. I'm assuming the line is strong enough -probaby stronger than the original line. Has anyone tried this?

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Re: Repairing Peak bridle

Postby ieism » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:02 am

The coloured line, or the thin white bridle?

I have repared the white bridle line on a Peak 11 this way. I used D-Splicer dyneema whipping twine, mostly because i had it laying around and it looked kind of the same thickness. On the peak 4 the B-safe is almost the same as the bridle, on my Peak 5 it's a little different but would probably work fine too.

The colored lines are different story, but Flysurfer sells this as well as Liros and Premiumropes.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:31 pm

ieism wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:02 am
The coloured line, or the thin white bridle?
The coloured line. The grey B safe line is way heavier duty than the white bridle lines.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:50 pm

Oh, that's a sleeved line. On my Peak4 it's stiffer than the b-safe line I think. On the Peak5 / control bar 2 the beginning of the b-safe is blue and sleeved as well. That feels similar to the orange lines to me.

I think you could order just that line from flysurfer. Look up the line plan online and order just the one you need. https://shop.flysurfer.com/spare-parts/ ... -pcs?c=306
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:22 am

ieism wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:50 pm
Oh, that's a sleeved line. On my Peak4 it's stiffer than the b-safe line I think. On the Peak5 / control bar 2 the beginning of the b-safe is blue and sleeved as well. That feels similar to the orange lines to me.

I think you could order just that line from flysurfer. Look up the line plan online and order just the one you need. https://shop.flysurfer.com/spare-parts/ ... -pcs?c=306
Thanks for the link ... but it's really hard to understand the Flysurfer website. As far as I can tell the price for a length of line ... pretty much any line from the bridle set of any size Peak, whether 13m or 3m, - is a flat price of 29 Euros ... which is kind of insane. Plus shipping from Germany. But in any case, if you try and put it in your "basket" a message comes up saying: Unfortunately, the requested product is no longer available in the desired quantities.

It seems to me that any appropriately sized line would do the job. The B Safe line that comes with the Peaks seems pretty strong, although it is not sleeved. I'm going to tie a larks head at each end & attach it to the bridle. I don't imagine there is much stress on those bridle lines an even if it did break it wouldn't have a dramatic effect on the shape of the kite.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:30 am

On the Peak5, the repair kit contains those spare bridle lines. See if you can borrow one from someone, while you order a replacement.

I understand this is called the Sparepart and is common to all FS mixers and independent of size. It's mentioned in the peak4 user manual, section 12.01

I managed to get one in NZ from the FS distributor, added to his next order. So should be easier pretty much everywhere else in the world.

EDIT sorry, reread the original post, and realized it's not about a part of the mixer... Anyway just in case, I leave my reply as this part going through the pulleys gets worn out eventually

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:30 am

I understand, that's too much and strength is not really the problem. Almost any line will be strong enough, but the sleeves lines tangle less and are more wear resistant.

If you can find someone in your area or here with a Peak 5, ask for the lower blue safety line. A lot of people are not using the safety and it's the same material. A paraglider repair shop might have a piece of this as well.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:33 am

The "Spare Part line" is the one going throug the rollers in mixer. Not part of the bridle.

Find your line in the line plan. You can see what kind of line it is. Get that line and make a new one. If you can't do it, go to your local repair shop with that info and let them do it. Every repair shop can do this. Best would be to remove that line from the opposit side and use it as a "template".

- Oliver

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:34 am

The line that is damaged is the blue sleeved C1 line that leads to the C1 & C2 line attachments on the kite. I have replaced it with a length of the B safe line. a relatively straightforward process as the thin C1 & C2 lines can be removed from the kite in order to feed the new line through and back up towards the C pulley.

It's really unclear from the Flysurfer website whether the replacement lines are actually available to order. The website says "delivery time 5 working days", but when you try and put it in the shopping cart the message comes up: "Unfortunately, the requested product is no longer available in the desired quantities. Our service team will provide you with the delivery time via e-mail." The cost appears to be 29 Euros for both the C1 sleeved lines.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:08 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:34 am
It's really unclear from the Flysurfer website whether the replacement lines are actually available to order. The website says "delivery time 5 working days", but when you try and put it in the shopping cart the message comes up: "Unfortunately, the requested product is no longer available in the desired quantities. Our service team will provide you with the delivery time via e-mail." The cost appears to be 29 Euros for both the C1 sleeved lines.
Those lines are made by hand locally to order. That's why they have no fixed delivery time.

Return to “Foil Kites”