Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peak 4 - 4m collapse

For all foil kite riders
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Peak 4 - 4m collapse

Postby Herman » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:55 am

High Smeagle, I think we may have been talking cross purposes depending on whether it is backstall or front stall etc. Either way with my small amount of Peak experience I think we might agree that it is hard to imagine a Peak anywhere near properly tuned front stalling because of the way it flys flapping drag sitting on the A, and yet the OP says the collapse occurs after sheeting out. Also generally, speaking we agree additional backstall in the sheeting range makes it easier to prevent luffing/front stall. Hopefully the op finds a small tangle pulling an element of A below the line of stall in the LE and the mixer in tune. I also think that I understand why you might prefer a little more camber, just not sure that it would solve the OP’s problem.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:09 pm

Yeah...

Peak DOES behave very bad when sheeted out too far it's not "front stalling" but that does not really matter, it's not nice to handle. My measures (and IMO all kinds of bridle tuning) will not change that. BUT the point were it happens will be at a much larger depower setting and it will make more powered settings more useful ;) SO it will no longer happen in normal riding.

- Oliver

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Also check your B-safe1 and B-safe0 line lenght, or remove it for a session. I once had a Peak 4 where this line was much too short from the factory and it didn't fly well at all. This line should basically be under very little tension when the kite is flying, if too short it will kind of do what you describe.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
Herman (Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

patrelsa
Rare Poster
Gear: kite

Postby patrelsa » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:45 pm

A=Z but B and C were way off.Before adjusting B and C I shortened rear lines and kite obviously back stalled.The collapse would happen when I was riding powered up and when I would sheet out the kite would fold from the trailing edge and then wing tips would fold and kite would fall out of the sky unless I sheeted back in immediately.I will try the kite again after adjusting bridle.Thank you everyone for your help.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:36 am

patrelsa wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:45 pm
A=Z but B and C were way off.Before adjusting B and C I shortened rear lines and kite obviously back stalled.The collapse would happen when I was riding powered up and when I would sheet out the kite would fold from the trailing edge and then wing tips would fold and kite would fall out of the sky unless I sheeted back in immediately.I will try the kite again after adjusting bridle.Thank you everyone for your help.
Did you get it sorted out and what was the best settings in the mixer?

/Atte

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:28 pm

Lots of people are commenting on the mixer settings. I'd be surprised if the underlying problem comes from the mixer. The peak is not at all sensitive to the mixer settings compared to most foils. I don't think an out of tune mixer will cause the peak to collapse. This problem sounds like something more fundamental. Maybe it can be improved a bit by fiddling with the mixer, but the real problem must be elsewhere.
Last edited by merl on Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:52 pm

Sounds almost like it's inverted and the Bsafe is inducing a frontal collapse. I've seen it with Peaks, seen it worse with other single skins.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:58 pm

Look at the tips, are they clean and straight, or a little or big dent/nick in the middle where the b-safe connects?

If so, the b-safe is too short, easy to make it longer.

Or remove it to see if works as said, but not easy to test as I don't assume you would ever ride in that much wind on purpose.

8) Peter

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:25 pm

We were talking about this on the last Peak page haha!

Summary: I'd seen it a couple times early on in my 'Peak career' but since I got a broader quiver, didn't find myself being overpowered enough and I forgot about it. The other day I saw it, and got curious about exploring the dynamic, since then I've been adjusting mixer, watching the luffing dynamic happen when overpowered/fully sheeted out (it causes one side to luff, lose lift and steer/pull towards the ground, not a front stall).

Mixer adjustment hasn't fixed it, checked the plastic 'battens', without making the dynamic go away. Suspect if you adjusted your stopper down half an inch it wouldn't happen. I'm chalking it up to being too overpowered, but good discussion!

patrelsa
Rare Poster
Gear: kite

Postby patrelsa » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:19 am

Adjusting the bridle lines helped alot.....its still occurs somewhat when i totally let go of the bar.....i have too much throw in the depower line(should help even more to shorten it) and the canopy is pretty worked/stretched...but im much happier how it flies now compared to out of tune bridles

"I get the best performance using the following settings:
A = Z
B = +1.5cm
C = +1.0cm"

thanks all for the helpful hints

Return to “Foil Kites”