Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peak 4 landing @ top end LE or TE down

For all foil kite riders
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Peak 4 landing @ top end LE or TE down

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:52 pm

Stall handles make landing foils in high winds painless and easy. Especially in high winds.

Even more so on the Peak. De-trim, bar completely out, pull stall and you can land directly in the window if needed.

Anchor the handle, disengage from the system, go grab your kite.

In extreme situations,, bring to the edge, use the stall handle and stall it out. It will drift back and slide towards the center of the window but remain in deep stall.

At that point I reel in a front line and flag out.

Conversely, if the wind is a steady direction, you can successfully land it leading edge down. You can do it ugly by just letting the bar out and whipping it in (I don't really recommend but it usually doesn't cause any harm) or you can bring it across the window, slow it down, dip a tip and roll it in. Once leading edge down as long as you don't tension the rear lines, causing roll over or reverse launch it will stay in position.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:27 pm

I often land like joriws, chrashlanding to one side, if a bit of grass it works even better as no air inside and grass will keep it from sliding, it might taco but never fly up.

This landing only works really well with Peaks or other single skin kites - hybrid kites cant be landed this easily at all.

Backstalling a 3 or 4 m2 Peak kite at their top end can be dangerous - you wont get lifted no, but the immense peak pull you get is risky, as you can not control sheeting very precisely in the upper end, having full sheeting range on a few centimeters only.

Use a camera mount often, so always hotlaunch - but after the session it is usually a side "soft" chrashlanding - works great.

Not so with double skin kites or hybrid kites, almost needs to be backed down in order to not fly away :rollgrin:

8) PF

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:18 pm

I thought the peak 4 will sit on a wing tip like an LEI? Why not do a tether landing?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:28 pm

^^Good point. The first part of the vid with the hybrid is probably a reasonable demonstration of how the kite would behave during a tether landing if it becomes unpinned, and it would eventually with a shift of some sort. Even if it crumpled and rolled into the flying position a Peak would not pull that hard if it flew up fully sheeted out, as would be the case as long as nothing snagged. Something to trial in a big open space to ensure that it is really a practical proposition?
Last edited by Herman on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:16 pm

Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:13 pm
Unassisted and windy; I just put my foil at the landing spot and land the kite on it so that some outer bridle lines get stuck on it.
Hmm, too me that sounds, as you risk damaging both kite and foil ;)

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:36 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:18 pm
I thought the peak 4 will sit on a wing tip like an LEI? Why not do a tether landing?

It will. But not ideal in high winds and definitely not where winds can be potentially shifty and unstable. ;-)

This said, in higher winds if you bring the kite to the position illustrated here, pull the stall handle in and let it drift back into the window in deep stall it is easy to then either anchor by the stall handle or flag out by yarding in a front line.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:09 pm

Smeagle wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:16 pm
Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:13 pm
Unassisted and windy; I just put my foil at the landing spot and land the kite on it so that some outer bridle lines get stuck on it.
Hmm, too me that sounds, as you risk damaging both kite and foil ;)
No it isn't and we are taking about Peaks here 8)
There is also a method of sticking a pole with bal on top (something not sharp) in the ground pointing a bit upwind and then land the kite outer briddle in it, just let it hook in and the flag it out.
I never worry about landing a Peak, never damaged it with landing. it's done carefully, no dumb dumping action :lol:
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
Smeagle (Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:33 pm

Another option when the wind is steady...

Return to “Foil Kites”