Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peak 4 landing @ top end LE or TE down

For all foil kite riders
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Peak 4 landing @ top end LE or TE down

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:20 pm

Curious to know about opinions regarding landing Peaks in the top end of their wind range without B safe. Traditionally you back a foil kite down onto its TE. As the Peak does not have vents to sand ingress, easing it down on the LE is reasonably feasible.

Backing them down can be a little grunty and the TE can curl up if you overdo Z. Anybody prefer to put them down on the LE instead and if so what is your technique and how is the LE wear? Any comment on how well the kite stays put compared to traditional method?

PS Apologies if this has already been covered!!

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Re: Peak 4 landing @ top end LE or TE down.

Postby joriws » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:38 pm

If I am without a buddy landing Peak4, I crashland it to wind window side without the leash. Quickly safety eject chickenloop, grab the steering line of wind window side, throw bar downwind keeping the steering line. Steering will flag the kite when high wind starts to roll the kite. Walk to the kite with keeping steering line tensioned.

I use this same technique with double skins too. Grabbing steeringline and tossing the bar also works with te backstalled kite.

Here is the video I started to develop my technique. Tossing the bar and 3 lines downwind ensures the lines are flagged out and the kite will not lift off. Steering line is pivot point for the kite to flag downwind, like in this video when one steering line is released. Imo video as both steering lines are kept in tension allows kite to fly te first.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Peak 4 landing @ top end LE or TE down

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:33 pm

Thanks for the reply joriwis. Unless I am missing something the landing you describe puts the kite down on the trailing edge (TE) and is what I, more or less, called a traditional backstall landing. I am more interested to hear about anybody landing the Peak onto the leading edge (LE).

For example putting the Peak on a tip @ the edge of the window, keeping the bottom tip braked and walking across the wind to get the kite a little in the window to make the top tip overfly the bottom tip thus putting the kite on the LE and then pulling the fronts. Or you could just pull the fronts with the kite at a little height to get it to crash onto the LE before pulling in the fronts or perhaps just tethering the fronts! (Jon Módica style?)

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:37 pm

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:40 pm

^^ Nice vid but not top end and not what I am talking about. Found a vid for stuff I am referring to for the hybrid at this link

Avoids back stall grunt and the need to pull a single line when kite is at top end of wind range. Not sure why the guy in the vid takes so long to park it on the LE but he makes it look cool. Does the Peak always sit nicely on the beach when tethered to the fronts as the hybrid did in this video?
Last edited by Herman on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Unassisted and windy; I just put my foil at the landing spot and land the kite on it so that some outer bridle lines get stuck on it.

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:26 am

Herman wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:40 pm
Nice vid but not top end
Using the same technik on snow and water (hydrofoil). Landed in wild conditions many, many times. Only have no video.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:52 am

Herman wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:33 pm
Thanks for the reply joriwis. Unless I am missing something the landing you describe puts the kite down on the trailing edge (TE) and is what I, more or less, called a traditional backstall landing. I am more interested to hear about anybody landing the Peak onto the leading edge (LE).

For example putting the Peak on a tip @ the edge of the window, keeping the bottom tip braked and walking across the wind to get the kite a little in the window to make the top tip overfly the bottom tip thus putting the kite on the LE and then pulling the fronts. Or you could just pull the fronts with the kite at a little height to get it to crash onto the LE before pulling in the fronts or perhaps just tethering the fronts! (Jon Módica style?)
Crashlanding I tried to explain is le first in an angle to ground, flying forwards and crashing it with some speed but in an angle not full on le. After hitting the ground kite usually goes to taco shell meaning collapses like folding to half and starts to roll down wind due to high true wind unless you can crash it to a wind shadow.

*edit* after looking part of the hybrid video. My crashing is a bit similar to hybrid video above but with more intention to crash it faster so that kite collapses, around 0:38 mark you can see kite hitting ground and going taco. At this moment the bar should be flying downwind and you holding downtip side steeringline as high as possible.

I would *not* "sandpaper" kite's le allowing it to move back and forth in the ground with wind pressure pushing le against the sand. Same goes for ice landing. LE fabric will wear.

Edit2, added not to sandpaper part, quite important addition :)
Last edited by joriws on Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies and clarification. Up to now if it is top end I have been putting it on the tip with the front flag line on the bottom and just letting it flag. I will give the mild LE crash followed by steering line flag a go as I see its merits. As I tether a lot I will also try the flag and tether to both fronts to see how that goes. Thanks again for all the inputs!

dsachik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Sail Bay, San Diego
Belmont Shore, Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: Belmont Shore, Los Angeles
Event Site, Hood River, Oregon
Kite Beach, Cabarete
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sabfoil 800/399
Sabfoil 940/370
Triton T1
Slingshot Hopecraft 103cm
11m Core Xlite
8m Slingshot Ghost
6m Slingshot Ghost
4m Slingshot SST
9.5m Flysurfer Hybrid
7.5m Flysurfer Hybrid
5.5m Flysurfer Hybrid
3.5m Flysurfer Hybrid
12m Flysurfer Soul2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dsachik » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:49 am

Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:13 pm
Unassisted and windy; I just put my foil at the landing spot and land the kite on it so that some outer bridle lines get stuck on it.
Can you elaborate more on this?

Return to “Foil Kites”