Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

For all foil kite riders
artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4 / Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

Postby artificialname » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 am

I’ve heard the advice that the quickest way to untangle a foil bridle is to start with “A” line and clear that fully.

1) do you disconnect the bridle from the bar when you do this?

2) why does this work? Would it be very different if I started with Z?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: Untangling bridle on foil kite- do I have to start with “A” line?

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:49 am

artificialname wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 am
I’ve heard the advice that the quickest way to untangle a foil bridle is to start with “A” line and clear that fully.

DO NOT disconnect the bar. Starting with A or Z is personal preference. I usually like to start with Z and work my way up.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:04 am

With due respect, do not be afraid of disconnecting the bar. I used to be afraid of disconnecting the lines in fear of making things worse. But,

In general: do not disconnect the bar.
In general: the bridal lines are not usually actually tangled but they are twisted. Generally the pulleys will be holding the twisted lines from untwisting. Just gently loosen and shake the twists out.

But,
do not be afraid of detaching the bar. When you take the lines off, you will learn the bridal much better and how they should look in relation to each others.
Do not even be afraid of actually causing a true twist in the bridal. With patience you will learn how to get the twisted lines un twisted.

Also but detaching the bar and lines, you can separate the two problems away from each other. Meaning, you can untwist your lines easier while detached. And you can clear the bridals easier while detached.

Like Jason says: it doesn’t actually matter whether you start with the A or Z lines first. Just methodically open all four to make sure each set are free from the others.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:17 am

Like Flyfish states, don't be afraid of detaching the lines there will be nothing wrong and you understand the briddle better.
But imho it is handier to start with A's first if you have your kite laying flat and spreadout and standing on the TE side of the kite.
It's like with paragliders, we start with A's shake a little and you see immidiatly if you have to turn the riser (where the briddle ends), keep it in the air and then pull Z and you can see if all briddle lines are without knots.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:27 am

I only say don't disconnect the bar because it seems like he's new and you can start getting into real trouble that way if you aren't familiar with the bridle layout.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:16 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:27 am
I only say don't disconnect the bar because it seems like he's new and you can start getting into real trouble that way if you aren't familiar with the bridle layout.
Thats a legitime advice :thumb:
But "Real trouble" he won't be in, the briddle is not rocket science 8)
Every foil kiter should know the bridle and check it when it is without twists, knots or line overs so you know how it should look.. and if you then start like I wrote with the PG methode A-B-C-Z (depending the number of briddle lines) it is very easy to understand and it will take away briddle fear

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:23 am

If you have a heap of spaghetti, if you do not take the lines off, all the problem consists of are twists and loops. Looking at the spag you will see single lines and pairs of lines emerging from junctions in the chaos. If you milk a single line out you are just rearranging the chaos, if you milk out a pair of lines you are removing a loop from the junction and thus reducing the chaos.

Another rule of thumb is to keep everything loose. If I decide to take the lines off look for a sheltered spot or calm day, although removing the lines can partially negate my first observation, it can still be ergonomically quicker, particularly if things are tight. You just get better with experience. (Search for “bar magic” for a related topic if not already seen - its an example of not detaching lines.)

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Re: Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

Postby mr-markus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:37 am

got me a lot of tangles in the past, mostly due to people who didnt know how to land a foil kite. sometimes it was much easier to disconnect the Z line from the kite, pulled it through the spaghetti and lay it a side and continue with ABC. saved me a lot of hours.

Vivo3d
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: ~71
Gear: Duotone EVO SLS 2023
Duotone Click Bar
Duotone Select SLS 2023
Mystic Stealth Gen2
O'neill Psycho One 5/4

Postby Vivo3d » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:03 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:27 am
On a gusty day, while landing, it inverted and twisted my Peak a couple of times. And every try to sort the mess out, made it worse. And then it started to rain as well. So ended up with a BIG mess - when I was back home, I disconnected the bar. It took me ages to untangle everything but I learned a lot about the setup.

Start with A or Z but the one thing that helped me the most was to attach the line onto a high object so that it would hang and not be on the floor. It made it more visible. Once a line was free, I would hang the next one at a different point.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

Postby edt » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:58 pm

artificialname wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 am

The below video shows how to untangle if it's tangled up really badly.

The method doesn't matter too much, but as long as you keep working on it, the lines will untangle. If it is barely tangled at all, just walk it out from the A's or the Z's. If it's complete spaghetti, then you want to work at it both from the A's or Z's and from the kite end. If it's only lightly tangled keep the control bar on, but take the control bar off if it's severely tangled.

Why does it work keeping the control bar on? Geometry. If you had a bow tie or were not careful packing up the control bar, you will have to pass the control bar inside itself to get rid of line inversions.

A line Z line, removing control bar, keeping it on, it all depends on how tangled up your lines are. Normally I never take off the control bar, and work from the A's, then walk the lines out from the kite to the control bar and then pass the control bar inside itself to get rid of inversions.

Return to “Foil Kites”