Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

For all foil kite riders
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:25 pm

Removing the bar or not is a case-by-case basis sort of thing IMO but more often than not I leave the bar attached. Mostly because it eliminates the risk of pulling or pushing something the wrong way and adding to the original mess you made. When I usually disconnect from a bar it's one line at a time and it's the line I am working
on. Though sometimes if it's windy and you're doing this in the field disconnecting and then having the bridle ripped out of your hand while you're working can make things way worse.

For me, I do a few things. First, never pull something tight. Literally, massage the mess and try to loosen everything up. Then when you have things a bit loose you can better see what you're dealing with. Generally, if you find something that is fairly loose that is a good line to start with. Focus on that line and take your time. If something gives you resistance, don't force it. Find out where the snag is and work that and then resume the initial line.

Once you get that line resolved and put aside, the next one will be easier, and so on.

I've dealt with enough of this for so long that at this point I can watch TV and do most issues by feel. Makes it a lot less painful to deal with.

Here's an example of one of my personal tangles...

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Untangling bridle on foil kite: do I have to start with “A” line?

Postby Smeagle » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:34 pm

I say, really never remove the bar. Even if the bar has been put through the bridle, it's most likely only a few times... But most of the time the bar

Wind up the bar as much as you can. Loosen up as far as possible, put the bar further away. You will see which bridle part is the shortest, work on that. Repeat until finished.

I think most people have to go through a very bad tangle only 2..3 times. With experience it happens no more or at least not as bad. When I started out, I had big tangles after a self rescue or even after self landing. But nowadays I have no tangle at all, as I know how to wind and pack lines and bridles so they don't get tangled... I found methods to land and keep the kite parked without tangles.

Return to “Foil Kites”