Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peak (foil kite) Poll

For all foil kite riders

Do have a dedicated bar for each Peak (or foil kite)

Poll ended at Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:50 am

Yes.
46%
No.
41%
I would but too expensive.
12%

Total votes: 41

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Peak (foil kite) Poll

Postby IWantToFly » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:50 am

I’m curious to see how many of you with Peaks or other foil kites have dedicated bars for each kite so you [usually] have less sorting to do.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Peak (foil kite) Poll

Postby Trent hink » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:29 am

Its no big deal.

Pack the kite correctly, with the bridle ends hanging out of the top of the bag.

There's zero reason to stick the bar and wet lines in the bag anyways.

With the bridle ends hanging out of the bag, it takes almost no time at all to sort the lines if you have kept the bar attached, and not much more than that if you have disconnected them.

If you keep the bar on the kite, just pack it correctly, and removal is the opposite of installation.

If you have to remove the bar, larkshead each front line to one of the back lines, and leave all bridle ends hanging out the top of the bag.

You can keep the bar attached until you realize you need to switch kites

If you stuff the loose bridle ends in the bag, anything can happen, but if you leave a foot or just a decimeter hanging out, there is no chance for the ends to fall into the bridle and make a difficult mess to sort out

If you know how to pack and unpack the kite, and can follow the procedure I am describing, the worst that can happen is that the back lines get crossed, and only if you have disconnected the bar.

When you unpack the kite, sand the trailing edge for a hot launch, or sand one wingtip for something less than 'hot."

The only thing to keep in mind is, every time, sort the bridles out just past where they connect to the flying lines on the bar...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:58 am

I would add one thing: I always lay the kite I have used out flat when I get home - out of the wind - & check that the mixer lines are clear and ready to go. You don't want to be dealing with any tangles when you're setting up on a windy beach & anxious to get kiting. This also gives the kite a chance to dry out as I usually have had to kneel on the edge of the kite in order to fold/roll it on the windy beach & this results in the kite getting somewhat wet.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:46 am

I disagree.

Find it a lot faster to leave the bars on.

Setting up can be done superfast now, it really makes a big difference for me in time and how willingly I am to change kitesize :D

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:18 am

I know time doesn't matter usually, or for most, but there is a mental blocking if you know it is even just a bit more cumbersome, as to whether you change kitesize :rollgrin:
From a 3 year old post where I compared setting up a Peak with a LEI, but have removed the LEI part here in the copy:

-------‐----------------

With my Peak4, I timed it once on a summerday, just to see HOW fast I could be ready (at a spot where I could launch and land in the parking lot just at the side of the car).

120 seconds from I parked the car, till ready to go on the water, meaning 2 minutes it took me to:

Foil out of the car, assembled (if not, I only got one screw so does not take long).
Harness out of the car and on (summer, so only shorts, would take longer if having to get in a shorty).
Kite out of the bag, lock the car and hide the key.
Put the kite on the ground and roll the lines out and launch, trusting lines are sorted as they usually are on these kites.

Packing down, I had to use 3 minutes before I could drive away:
Backing the kite down.
Get the key, and put harness in the car.
Rolling lines up.
Folding kite.
Put it in the bag.
Foilboard in the car.
Drive away.

And it would be closer to 3½ minutes, if I were to get in dry clothing, meaning shorts and maybe T shirt.

The most time consuming part is if you have a full wetsuit, especially the warmer ones, it takes much longer than rigging and launching a kite, I found out.

I dont rush like above normally, but because I had been out in one spot, wind died, I drove to another, wind okay - I had the chance to time HOW FAST I could be, from parking the car till standing ready to go in the water, kite in the air, board under my arm :rollgrin:
It was fun, and amazingly fast, I had an idea, but did not knew exactly !

With big lightwind foil kites, setting up is very fast too, a bit longer though.
But packing double skin foil kites DOWN, is horrible - it takes so much longer to get these deflated and packed in the bag, that everything you gain on the start compared to LEI's in terms of less time, is more than lost.
It does not matter as much though, as the important part is usually a quick setup, so you can get on the water while there is wind.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
IWantToFly (Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:16 am

For the early responders…

I suppose it does not go without saying, so I will expressly say that I do know how to sort out the bridles and I don’t find it too cumbersome to add the bar. This is not a question about how to sort lines! I do not have a bar for each kite so that’s my current practice. But if I had a choice I would rather have a bar on each kite to save the time and making the packing and unpacking easier.
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:38 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:43 pm

For me it was easy....

Having kitesurfed since the start 1999, I have loads of worn out bars and "excess" lines.

So no biggie making kitefoil bars with the desired length - or even buying new ones as they are not that high cost, and they are good and lasting.

Meaning, I have almost always had a bar for each foilkite, in fact sometimes more bars than kites.

As I have t.ex an ultimate marginal wind bar having 0.6 mm rear lines and 0.83 mm front lines for less drag thus better lowend.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
airsail (Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:04 am)

thatwildtype
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: allornothing

Postby thatwildtype » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:13 pm

I only use one very expensive carbon bar for my foil kites. Yes, setup takes maybe 3 minutes longer that way, but I really don’t care. Would cost me a fortune to habe such a nice bar (SK Shapes Prime Bar) for all my foil kites. Only have one separate 60 cm Bar for my large (15m) Soul.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:30 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:43 pm
For me it was easy....

Having kitesurfed since the start 1999, I have loads of worn out bars and "excess" lines.

So no biggie making kitefoil bars with the desired length - or even buying new ones as they are not that high cost, and they are good and lasting.

Meaning, I have almost always had a bar for each foilkite, in fact sometimes more bars than kites.

As I have t.ex an ultimate marginal wind bar having 0.6 mm rear lines and 0.83 mm front lines for less drag thus better lowend.

8) Peter
Someone recently dumped a bunch of lines and older bars on me so I’m building them up to have dedicated bars for each kite. Simple leader line and a Chinese finger trap adjustment on the power lines. I use an Infexion quick release so the bars only need a simple ring. And for the Peaks and small clouds I’m flying I usually don’t have a flag out line so I only have that on a couple of my bars. Super easy.
Attachments
IMG_9826.jpeg
IMG_9826.jpeg (116.12 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:32 pm)

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:08 am

I built bars to use with my Peak & Cloud kites. I use a clamcleat trim, cabrinha/BRM old simple latch quick release and suicide safety since I use the kites underpowered. The reason for different bars is for different line lengths for hydrofoil size-loop starting and riding. Something like:
- 30m Bar = 13m Peak (6-10mph)
- 22m Bar = 8m Peak (10-15mph)
- 18m Bar = 6m Peak, 8m & 6.2m Clouds (12-18mph)
- 15m Bar = 5m & 4m Peak (15-22 & 18-27 mph)
These users thanked the author PugetSoundKiter for the post (total 2):
IWantToFly (Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:23 am) • alekbelia (Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:07 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Foil Kites”