Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kestrel Pansh in ultra light fabric

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Kestrel Pansh in ultra light fabric

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:09 pm

Open a dedicated topic to very high sizes, in EL version which is a Extrem Light cloth.

Juste received my 21m ...

What a monter when laid on the ground ....
IMG_20231222_163629.jpg

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Kestrel Pansh in ultra light fabric

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:07 pm

Give us a review I'm curious! I have the Aurora 2 22m It has served me well and it still flies good but I only use it on the snow now when the wind is very low and the snow soft! The price went up 3 times over I paid 400$ the Krestrel is 1250 USD hopefully it's worth still not bad compared to the big guys!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:31 pm

I had the aurora 22m and loved its power on a tt board... even if so low turning and poor depower which i bet Kestrel will be far better (but probably less grunt in low winds).

Let's see !

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:16 am

first test yesterday ...
A real monster ! not for childrens :-) ; on the french forum we sometimes rename kites after our feeling with it ; so I called it "21 Jump Style" in reference to the TV serie 30 years ago ... and to highlight the kite target in my quiver ...

So, yesterday, after coming back to shore with my 12m LEI on the foil, due to wind dropping down to about 8 knots (I started having difficulties to waterstart and come back to shore) , I thought it was the right time to test this Kestrel 21m , at last.

Inflation: "Kestrel Style", which is quite long and requires skill to shorten the "flemsy phase"; so with such an area, this is the main (only?) reason why I would not advise this kite for a beginner in a tricky launching area.

Then, on the water ... it turned my multi-loop waterstart required with the previous 12m LEI into one single, short and simple pull of the front hand, then immediately up on the water and then immediate speed and power ... OUahouh ... you can feel the power both in the harness and in the hands (high to very high bar pressure). Enormous power, you do not want more wind than those 8-11 knots.

Wind was not regular, with light turbulences, but kite remains absolutely stable, even after plot errors like jump landing mistakes ; and it keeps a very comfortable depower; not as amazing as the 15m, but far beyond main folkies (nothing to compare to the "always-on Gin Spirit) ; I can ride all directions without overspeed (with is not the case for race kites of this size); I should maybe try to add 1à cm on the rear line to check if I can get the same "power cut" than 15m .

In confidence, I try shortly what I bought it for : Jumps ; So I pull gently on the rear hand to see its lift ability. Second "Wouaou" : impressive natural sustentation despite my poor bar command, "quite easy" to send the kite forward again fco prepare jump reception ; "quite" because it remains a 21m , so low in turning but better than high ratio kites of 18m or more. I gain in altitude step by step and is really impressed by the hang time, a kind of paraglider jump :-)

I tested a slow Backloop, just to see; very low power leg input to limit ration speed, but the hang time is so incredible that I almost overrotate ; so ... double Backloop should be easy ! so I tried the double rotation with higher bar and body input ... wouahou ... as soon as you put more input , it sticks you in the air ; during the second rotation I had more altitude than I anticipated, so make an improvised third rotation ... complete ! Well, I am so happy it is exactly what I was looking for , with still its relatively good agility that allows you to redirect the kite at jump Apex (while on the Peter lin Aero 17m and Flymaax Boom 20m , it was so low that I had to anticipate far before the Apex, so it killed my jumps) ; I'll have to confirm this in lower wind of course but it seems very encouraging.

Then what I was afraid of , happened : wind increased ... significantly ; gusty, up to 18 knots ... one friend 20 kg more than me was correctly powered with its Dice 12m and race hydrofoil ... So, I was not in danger, rode at least 45 min in those condition, without any falls in water due to over-power : depower is working well ; not as amazing as lower sizes of Kestrel, but far beyond other foilkites I tried ; even at this high end, I was always in contact with water, controlling my speed whatever the angle toward the wind direction / all directions were possible (were race kite beyond 18m need to either point high upwind or deep downwind).

So in summary this wind was beyond my target for this kite, which is 5-9 knots , but it behaves very well, fun and in safety ; jumps were so long and smooth , and kite stability and depower put in confidence to keep on working tricks ; this will certainly be my "4 backloops trial" kite with my foil ; it should also be impressive with a TT board I suppose; it is a physical kite, high bar pressure, so better to know that.

Dreaming of the next session in 7 knots.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
Bart van Oers (Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:58 pm) • Greenturtle (Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:55 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:32 am

the video:
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 4):
funalex (Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:21 am) • Smeagle (Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:11 am) • Greenturtle (Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:55 pm) • Bart van Oers (Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:19 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

FunOnTheWater
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone

Postby FunOnTheWater » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:43 am

Which "Chinese" cloth is used by Pansh ? Is it Icarex polyester with PU coat ? or with silicone ?

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:12 am

Nice... Would like to have a 10m in Ultra Light. My 12m is a little too big for Kitefoiling but would like to have a lighter kite in lulls.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:17 am

yesterday at the very low end limit ... short ride in the end:
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 5):
Windigo1 (Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:54 pm) • Chriz76 (Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:18 pm) • Smeagle (Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:12 pm) • PugetSoundKiter (Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:07 pm) • 1234567Simon (Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:22 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:21 pm

That was real super low wind kiting

Turning/looping speed seems unusual for that size. Obviously more efficient speed system helps. Some of loops were borderline stalling but anyway impressive.

Long lines makes kite look smaller than it is. I would have believed it was 15m kite, also for its turning speed
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post (total 2):
Regis-de-giens (Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:47 pm) • Smeagle (Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:17 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:01 pm

Nice thanks for the review and the videos it really looks like Pansh stepped up their game this kite behaves really well for this kind of super low wind much better than the A2 and A3 is is worst than the A2 in every aspects one of the reason why I stopped considering buying this brand. I just came back from a vacation in Cuba I saw some people on Kestrels and they were doing really good! I'm not sure how big they were they always stayed really for away! Nice to know there is a good and more affordable option out there for a large foil!

Return to “Foil Kites”