Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone EXP Question

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Ozone EXP Question

Postby fernmanus » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:18 am

I have the new Ozone EXP 18m. The longest bar length that I could order was 55 cm with the 5 line re-ride bar that makes full depower possible.
The depower system is often and works as promised. However, the kite turns so slow. I flew it back to back with a Sonic 4 18m. I noticed the bar pressure is lighter on the Sonic 4 and it loops so much better. I had to grab a huge handful of leader to loop the EXP w/o it crashing into the ground.
I am curious if the Chrono 5 loops better? I can say that the R1 V4 19m, Sonic 4 18m and Gin Instinct all loop way faster. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being an open cell kite?
I am also curious if the bar can be taken apart, so that I can buy a 62cm Ozone foil bar and swap out the center sections?

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone EXP Question

Postby Sun » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:24 am

Cannot answer questions about flying. However the bar should come apart easily, I have swapped chicken loops, depower main lines, and safety lines a number of times on Ozone bars. There are usually pretty decent videos on their site for maintenance and replacement. Let me know if you can’t find them and I will dig and link to them.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
fernmanus (Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:57 am

Bar will swap no problem but an extra 7cm isn't going to make that much of a difference. You can first shorten the steering lines a couple cms first to see if that will speed up the turning. This will increase bar pressure and will make the foil more likely to backstall though.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:51 pm

. Bar will swap no problem but an extra 7cm isn't going to make that much of a difference. You can first shorten the steering lines a couple cms first to see if that will speed up the turning. This will increase bar pressure and will make the foil more likely to backstall though.
That is good to know, but the bar pressure is already borderline uncomfortable.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:39 pm

Isn't the EXP an open cell Chrono with lighter cloth? You can over-sheet the Chrono v4 and make a pinwheel turn on the center of the kite. The turns become gutless but they are fast enough.

Im a big fan of the longer bars. I use 62 cm on 11 and 15 chrono in part to speed turning even when the kite is far depowered. If you ask nicely you can almost certainly get a longer Ozone bar stick only as a replacement part from the dealer/distributor.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:01 am

Isn't the EXP an open cell Chrono with lighter cloth? You can over-sheet the Chrono v4 and make a pinwheel turn on the center of the kite. The turns become gutless but they are fast enough.

Im a big fan of the longer bars. I use 62 cm on 11 and 15 chrono in part to speed turning even when the kite is far depowered. If you ask nicely you can almost certainly get a longer Ozone bar stick only as a replacement part from the dealer/distributor.
I am not familiar with that trick to spin the Chrono, thank you.
Yes, the EXP is an open cell version of the Chrono. The Chrono is a great turning kite, so I am perplexed by the EXP. My dealer has not got back to me yet, but I am hoping for a longer bar.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:51 am

18m high aspect foil kite has so much wingspan it can't loop fast, free wingtip of the kite just have to travel so long distance. I've flied few times 18m Sonic3 and making loops needs full commitment and hard steering hand. 15m Chrono I loop all the time, it isn't fast by any means but when steered hard it will do it. If steering is a bit too lazy wingtip often touches ground at the end of loop.

Making pinwheel loops is more like a trick, not usable for traction.

Real loops with big kite is best done by sheeting bar out and turning bar a lot. Then free end of kite does not choke and it flies through the turn as fast as possible. Kite pull remains somehow tolerable and the more you can take it to your harness the faster kite flies and completes loop.

Being able to take pull is at least as important as to steer it hard. If you are light weight and weak kiter all big kites are slow in their movements.

If EXP already has a lot bar pressure back lines can't be too loose, more like they are too tight. Making Z more tight and back lines not so tight could be worth trying.

Difficult to give advice without knowing the kite and having possibility to fly it. If I had I could tell what to do or is it like that by its nature. There is slight possibility it is as an open celled kite adjusted to fly a bit deeper in the WW than normal Chrono which could make it slower and gruntier kite.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:12 pm

. 18m high aspect foil kite has so much wingspan it can't loop fast, free wingtip of the kite just have to travel so long distance. I've flied few times 18m Sonic3 and making loops needs full commitment and hard steering hand. 15m Chrono I loop all the time, it isn't fast by any means but when steered hard it will do it. If steering is a bit too lazy wingtip often touches ground at the end of loop.
When I say the 18 EXP is slow, I am not comparing it to a smaller kite or a lower AR kite. I have an 18m Sonic 4 and Gin 18m Instinct. Both loop far better than the EXP and have lighter bar pressure.

I am hoping that an Ozone rep might speak up to let me know if an adjustment needs to be made or if that is the nature of an open cell kite. My last open cell kite was a 13m Frenzy about 10 years ago. I have been on closed cell kites ever since.

Return to “Foil Kites”