Virtual assistant to launch foil kite in very high winds

For all foil kite riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Re: Virtual assistant to launch foil kite in very high winds

Postby papasmerf » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:29 pm

funalex wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:44 pm
The line run through little dyneema loop, some are glued on the tent pol, some stay on the kite itself.

for the moment, the release system is just a larkhead knot... but it doesn't stay undertension very well... I must improve it with another idea to release ... for exemple, attaching the release system to the board... I don't know, any idea is welcome.
always nice to see new ideas!
These users thanked the author papasmerf for the post:
funalex (Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:52 pm

Smeagle wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:03 pm
Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:26 pm
Foil kites have been around for decades and they've only gotten easier to handle.
I guess you don't know the Kestrel ;) It's great to handle when filled, but launch is a little different and more difficult sadly. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I just say it has some handling issues with launching, especially in higher wind.

But even if we get to other foil kites: Launching a foil kite in winds above 30 knots, not matter which size, is risky and not easy at all.

Correct, I don't fly Kestrels. And I agree at 30kts+ things are different. But you play to the kite's strengths. The top end on the Kestrel 6m is 30kts but I fly the 7m R1 in 30+ inland winds and it behaves well if flown with respect, its a hell of a lot of fun and well-mannered on the ground or in my case, ice/snow. This said, the fly surfer Peak 5 4m in 30+ is less dangerous and less stressful. And the 2.5m is a ton of fun to fly in 40+. It's a matter of the right kite for the conditions, needs, and skillset.

I do not doubt that the Kestrel is a beast to deal with in 30kts. But for the money, I don't think we can expect it to handle and behave like a kite that costs 3x as much.

This said there are kites that cost a lot more that I hate when on the ground. The original Ozone Hyperlink, ALWAYS became a mess on the ground in high shifty winds. Loved it in the air, hated landing it for any length of time.

But my original point was that foil kites in general, are not difficult to manage even in high winds. At least not in my experience. From what I've witnessed, most issues with high-wind foil launches are due to pilot error and lack of experience. People out trying to learn without someone who knows what to do in certain circumstances to tell them what are usually simple actions, if you know about them. Again, IME

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:20 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:52 pm
The top end on the Kestrel 6m is 30kts
:lol:
30 knots is the kestrel 12m top end
These users thanked the author funalex for the post:
mede (Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Smeagle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:49 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:52 pm
I do not doubt that the Kestrel is a beast to deal with in 30kts. But for the money, I don't think we can expect it to handle and behave like a kite that costs 3x as much.
Maybe I was not clear enough, high end is great on Kestrel, ONLY the LAUNCH is a little different and more difficult. You need to practice a while to get it right, even when you have lots of foil kites experience.

BUT after launch, when it is filled, it handles BETTER than most "expensive brands" I tried!

- Oliver

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tomlutz » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:17 pm

Hi Alex, have you further elaborated on this? Would be great if you could launch a Kestrel in the wind window just like a tube kite. I just had two very sketchy launches on narrow lake launching sites, on shore wind but not enough space downwind and water was deep close to shore (Kestrel 12, gusts up to 25 knots, half in the trees and I got lifted 2 m in a gust, my friends declared me crazy, but everything worked out well and I didn't care). Tubes don't have these issues.

Otherwise with enough space launching a foilkite is absolutely ok if not totally overpowered, even above 35 knots, because until it is fully inflated there is maybe only half the surface efficient and by the time the kite is fully inflated it is safely high in the wind window 11 or 2 o'clock. Tom

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:34 pm

Hi.. Yes, it's a very good way to launch safely ! But not suitable above 8m because it's impossible to hold the tent pole properly with a bigger kite.

There is another trick to launch more safely a foilkite, by overtensionning the B bridles, and release it once inflated, but I didn't have time to finish the system. Becaause I don't really have the best release system in mind

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:51 pm

my idea is simple... a line between these 2 points (on B bridle), shortened about 50%... for launching safely, and once inflated, beeing released. I've tested it, it's really safer, but I don't know how to release the tension... :/
Sans tqitre 1.jpg
Sans tqitre 1.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 475 times

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 am

funalex wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:51 pm
my idea is simple... a line between these 2 points (on B bridle), shortened about 50%... for launching safely, and once inflated, beeing released. I've tested it, it's really safer, but I don't know how to release the tension... :/

Sans tqitre 1.jpg
Idea:
  • 2 small sliding rings, 1 on each b bridle.
  • loop a very thin line through the 2 rings and back into first ring, then down towards bar
  • at the top end of the depower line, attach a piece that can block a line (small clam cleat, or plastic piece that can hold a knot in the line - knot would work as the distance of rope is predefined)
Then you can start the kite with line tensioned and distance between B bridle shortened, and then relax the line for normal configuration.
if the line is very thin (it can be as no load), there is not much drag either.

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:02 pm

One of my entry for that idea... No fifth line.

One of my idea, is to slide one B into the other B, and once the kite is turned a lot, releasing the system... But I didn't have time to continue this idea...

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 pm

funalex wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:02 pm
No fifth line.
2 small magnets on the B bridles? With breakaway force such as when you power on explosively after launch, they separate?

Return to “Foil Kites”