Ozone Subzero V1 13m issue

For all foil kite riders
Saski
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Verket
Style: Freeride
Gear: Reedine, Slingshot, crazyfly, north, sabfoil, DIY.
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Subzero V1 13m issue

Postby Saski » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:23 pm

Hello. Have an ozone subzero V1 13m kite which I am working on fixing.
The problem with the kite is that it pulls to the left and seems like the wingtips collapse when turned quickly. I am going to change the speed system as it is slightly out of trim by about 2cm.
Apart from the speed system, is it any of the brides I should check on? I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me, for example, if there was a special line or row that has a tendency to go out of trim.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: Ozone Subzero V1 13m issue

Postby mgs » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:13 pm

Hello,

Check the bar leader lines and flying lines are of equal length and adjust as needed.
Inspect the main bridle in particular the lefthand side for any knots and misrouted bridles.

You say the speed system is "slightly out of trim by 2cm" (20mm)
Replacing the Speed System isn't necessary as the most likely cause of the misalignment (Speed System Zero Check) is the result of pulley lines PB1 and PB2 shrinking.

With KR1 (Brake line) attached to PB1 pulley line, any shrinkage of PB1/PB2 results in KR1 pulling on the brakes if it gets worse will cause potential wing tip tuck.
A sign that the brakes are being applied as a result of pulley line shrinkage is the pronounced crease in the trailing edge during flight.

You could move KR1 connection point 10mm as a starting point towards the canopy to back the brakes off, but you really need to address the speed system zero check misalignment.
Ozone may sell replacement PB1 & PB2 pulley lines or you could make some yourself.

Line equalisation, pulley line replacement, cleaning pulleys has been my regular maintenance activities for years.
Never had the need to check the main bridle.

Hope this is of help.

Saski
Rare Poster

Postby Saski » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:55 pm

Thanks for reply. Have checked on 1 and (pb2/pc1). pa 1 is 5mm too long. but pb2/pc1 is measured at 450mm against 405mm which should be original. That it should extend 5 cm seems strange.

have ordered line kit without pullys as they are good.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am

Saski wrote: Thanks for reply. Have checked on 1 and (pb2/pc1). pa 1 is 5mm too long. but pb2/pc1 is measured at 450mm against 405mm which should be original. That it should extend 5 cm seems strange.

have ordered line kit without pullys as they are good.
Hello - That's ok.
Having checked against a very little used PB2/ pulley line, the 405mm dimension as provided by Ozone looks to be measured from the centre of the Ronstan Pulley to the end of the loop and is spot on.
Checking one of my "used" Chrono speed systems the dimension was 400mm (5mm shrinkage)

Your 450mm measurement does seem somewhat excessive! Can you re-check? Measuring from the centre of the pulley to the loop end.
The non adjustable speed system dimensions look to be standard on the Chrono, HL and the Subzero.

Saski
Rare Poster

Postby Saski » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:18 am

I have now changed the entire speed system and the bridal check is ok, everything is more or less in line +-1mm.

It was not stated that one should measure pb2/pc1 from the pully. but I now get exactly 405mm with new bridals :)

Now waiting for a slightly less stormy weather to test the kite.
We have now had two winter storms in a row in Norway with more than 40-100kn wind.
Was in the mountains at the weekend and we had 40+ kn with heavy snow, -5c and constant white out. Not particularly pleasant kite weather.

Return to “Foil Kites”