Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Felix Pivec - A Kitesurfing Story

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 am

Felix Pivec is one of the worlds best unhooked, strapless kitesurfers. Kitesurfing since the 90's Felix was hooked on his first back roll.

Watch the evolution of unhooked strapless kitesurfing through the eyes of a pro.

These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 2):
Hugh2 (Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:42 am) • lindseym (Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 am)
Rating: 20%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 134 and 136, Cyclone 140, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Slingshot Hoverglide foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Felix Pivec - A Kitesurfing Story

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks for posting that, Toby. Back in July 2012 I had a week on Oahu. First I went to Kailua but the wind was light (I had windsurfed there back in 1998, even met Robbie Naish then), so, having watched Tophat and Felix strapless surfriding videos for a couple of years, I bought a beat up old surfboard on Ebay, and the next day drove to Mokuleia. It was still mid-morning and the only person there was Felix. He was very welcoming and encouraging, launched my kite and off I went to learn how to ride strapless! It was great fun and I got it quickly, albeit not actually riding the waves, more avoiding them. Later that day Bill Hanssen, the Switch designer, arrived and he and Felix worked tirelessly on the bridle settings for a new prototype, Felix would go out, ride a couple waves, come back in and say "doesn't drift quite right" and they would tweak the bridle and out he would go again. I went back every day of the week after that, and eventually even rode some small waves (this was summer time) and also got to watch Tophat do his thing, quite amazing with what looked like a homemade bar with no depower, unhooked most of the time, just a Felix describes in this video. I still love to ride strapless, although I'm still not really good at it, spending inordinate amounts of time body dragging into the beach to recover my board.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 am

Sure, welcome.

So you got to ride with some legends...that’s awesome 👍🏻

Although the video is older...these videos from names in the sport are gold...and it’s important that the kiteforum search will be possible to dig out gold like
This in the future for people to see it.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 134 and 136, Cyclone 140, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Slingshot Hoverglide foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 am

And I get to ride with some current day legends. Kevin Langaree, Nick Jacobsen, etc, right at KiteBeach or Witsand or Dolphin beach. When they are out and I am still riding I stay upwind of them so as not to interfere or be in their landing zone. It's best to watch them from the beach, but it is also very impressive to watch from the water and realize just how much harder they kite than does an old guy like me. I love to jump, but not like that! Anyway, the SEaster is blowing, the waves are small, so I'm going to do several strapless downwinders today.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 am

that's really nice of you giving space to top riders.

I wish more people understand what good riders do. I suffer a lot because of people always in the way and not giving space...while I always give them their space. Pure ignorance.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Extreme Toilet Stance
Gear: Cquad, Waterskis, Gojoe and Reel leash. Orange lifejacket with the neck piece and whistle.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 am

cool vid

" we actually knew what we were doing" with regards to switch kites.

that is pretty funny! for sure there were a lot of clueless people involved in the industry, still are.

Return to “Videos”