Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
User avatar
TD
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Where it blows!
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: North Rebel 8-15, Core XR4 17, Nomad 150, Spleene 157, Nobile Split Carbon, Axis 139, Nobile Split Surf/Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby TD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I guess kiters don't see Jamaica as a destination for kiting, but it should be. Much better than a lot of Mexico.

User avatar
TD
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Where it blows!
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: North Rebel 8-15, Core XR4 17, Nomad 150, Spleene 157, Nobile Split Carbon, Axis 139, Nobile Split Surf/Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby TD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm

I would try to talk the Hilton GM into letting you work with the concierge to do lessons upwind, and trainer kites on property. I would think they are always looking for cool stuff to offer guests. There had to be at least 6 guys who hit me up on how to get into kiting. It was a perfect setting.

JaZone
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 am
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby JaZone » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Ya , I live down here.
Dec-feb , and into March is pretty reliable.
I’m mostly flying 7-9m during those months,
With 9m being my main size.

Now , I’m using the 12m a little more if the wind doesn’t get strong enough.

South coast is even more consistent , since
There’s no land mass obstructing the wind.

JaZone
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 am
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby JaZone » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:47 pm

TD wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 pm
I guess kiters don't see Jamaica as a destination for kiting, but it should be. Much better than a lot of Mexico.
I don’t know why, either. 🤷‍♂️

JaZone
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 am
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby JaZone » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 pm

TD wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm
I would try to talk the Hilton GM into letting you work with the concierge to do lessons upwind, and trainer kites on property. I would think they are always looking for cool stuff to offer guests. There had to be at least 6 guys who hit me up on how to get into kiting. It was a perfect setting.
I did talk to the watersports manager there.
Got the impression they wanted nothing to do with it after the incident you mentioned.
They said they don’t care if guests do it , just that they have to go off property to do it.

I did tell them to contact me if people are interested , and left him my number.

JaZone
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 am
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby JaZone » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:56 pm

It’s a little different , you being an experienced kiter vs trying to teach students there.

Their beach gets pretty crowded, and if you’re
Teaching students and they’re constantly crashing kites near the guests, I can understand why they’d get nervous.

User avatar
TD
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Where it blows!
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: North Rebel 8-15, Core XR4 17, Nomad 150, Spleene 157, Nobile Split Carbon, Axis 139, Nobile Split Surf/Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby TD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:23 am

JaZone wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 pm
TD wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm
I would try to talk the Hilton GM into letting you work with the concierge to do lessons upwind, and trainer kites on property. I would think they are always looking for cool stuff to offer guests. There had to be at least 6 guys who hit me up on how to get into kiting. It was a perfect setting.
I did talk to the watersports manager there.
Got the impression they wanted nothing to do with it after the incident you mentioned.
They said they don’t care if guests do it , just that they have to go off property to do it.

I did tell them to contact me if people are interested , and left him my number.
I would figure out a way to make your kite a big billboard and kite in front of the Hilton (and others) to get clients, if you want to teach anyway. Kiting is the best marketing for kiting for sure.

By the way, your spot looks awesome. Good to know about the months and about south coast. You should add that for the area under the spots on kiteforum. It’s that kind of info that helps people like me make decisions on where and when to go. So, did I get lucky, or is that a typical week of wind? Sorry for all of the questions, but you ‘da man that knows.

JaZone
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 am
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby JaZone » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:46 pm

I think you were fortunate to 7/8 days of wind
During dec-feb is very good , I usually don’t go more than a couple days in a row without wind.

User avatar
BillyGoatGruff
Frequent Poster
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:51 pm

I kitesurfed Jamaica about 12 years ago on the original Flexifoil Strike... in Rasta colours :D , I got a lot of attention from the locals. At the time I was working for Jamalco in the Aluminium mines near May Pen. There is good kiting near Kingston Airport, Falmouth,Bounty Bay, Port Antonio and of on the East Coast. All the tourists seem to go to the North West (around Montego Bay) but i really recommend a road trip out east or south... lots to explore.

JaZone
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:14 am
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Jamaica Mon! First kitesurfing video at the Rose Hall Hilton

Postby JaZone » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm

Billie,
As you said , lot of people will stick to mobay,
Because it’s close to the airport.

Port Antonio is 2 hr or more drive.
If you gonna be here for a while , then yes , it’s good to check out bounty bay , port Antonio.

Kingston side gets more consistent wind , but mostly onshore.
Port royal is not a beginner spot for sure.
You will get rolled like you in a washing machine if you don’t get on your board and riding quickly.


Return to “Videos”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest