Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Postby deniska » Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:37 pm
edt wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am
I think Ruben might have been saved if he had rigged full suicide here, then the kite would more than likely have caught him. As it is the kite is flagged at the top of the loop. You can still dump the kite if you are rigged full suicide, hit the QR and then the leash release. I won't second guess him though when you are doing stuff like this it's not the spectator's job to assess the various risks, as there are reasons to rig full suicide and reasons not to. Of course I blame the QR for the most part it shouldn't go off on a touch. The euro standard I think is 10NM force, you aren't allowed to sell a QR if it doesn't release in 10NM or less, and if Ozone has their set at 1NM that's not right, you should put it up at 10NM. 1NM is a few ounces of force. Way too light, and I like my QR's to be light.
No.

It is not that light, not even close. Tested it in a shop.

Yes, I agree with you, and thats the reason for clipping the leash as Kevin L does, or as you say, which Ive posted a photo many times.
Which is how I ride as well, most of the time.

Even if the leash snapped, it might soften the impact, who knows...

D.
There many reasons why people don’t rig full suicide for big air. Once you let the kite go you can’t use any of self rescue techniques and swimming in the ocean at 30kts swell could be more statistically dangerous than occasional self release.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 pm

downunder wrote:

No.

Thanks for testing this downunder! Good to hear it's not super light. That's good.

You know I have had some quick releases in the past where my thumb could get caught on the QR just like this. The one s I am using right now there's just no way for the thumb to trigger it something about the geometry. One thing you can do is sand down that lip because that's where the thumb caught, not sure tho. In any case I wouldn't ride an ozone QR doing big air until this is completely figured out. I hope Ruben gives Ozone some input on this QR so they can fix it.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:17 pm

downunder wrote:
edt wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am
I think Ruben might have been saved if he had rigged full suicide here, then the kite would more than likely have caught him. As it is the kite is flagged at the top of the loop. You can still dump the kite if you are rigged full suicide, hit the QR and then the leash release. I won't second guess him though when you are doing stuff like this it's not the spectator's job to assess the various risks, as there are reasons to rig full suicide and reasons not to. Of course I blame the QR for the most part it shouldn't go off on a touch. The euro standard I think is 10NM force, you aren't allowed to sell a QR if it doesn't release in 10NM or less, and if Ozone has their set at 1NM that's not right, you should put it up at 10NM. 1NM is a few ounces of force. Way too light, and I like my QR's to be light.
No.

Yes, I agree with you, and thats the reason for clipping the leash as Kevin L does, or as you say, which Ive posted a photo many times.
Which is how I ride as well, most of the time.
Even if the leash snapped, it might soften the impact, who knows...
D.
Downinder can you post photo of how you or Kevin L ridin with leash clipped on bar ? You mean to put it efore QR ?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 6:18 pm

deniska wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm

There many reasons why people don’t rig full suicide for big air. Once you let the kite go you can’t use any of self rescue techniques and swimming in the ocean at 30kts swell could be more statistically dangerous than occasional self release.
Exactly. Let people rig how they want. There are reasons for doing it both ways. Can't be critical of how Ruben rigged in this case, he has his reasons. There is two situations where I suggest you rig suicide 100% of the time and that's one when you are doing gliding over snow on a mountain, that shit is insane, I wouldn't suggest anyone gliding over snow or even land, but if you have to, you gotta rig suicide. Two, if you are doing a pull up, you know where it's a no wind day and you are getting pulled up behind a boat, again I don't suggest anyone doing this stuff, but if you do a pull up, please remember reclip and rig full suicide.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 6:26 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:17 pm

Downinder can you post photo of how you or Kevin L ridin with leash clipped on bar ? You mean to put it efore QR ?
It's pretty easy to change to full suicide on the water, if you want to ride most of the time regular or half suicide.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Thank you. Strange that Ruben dont used this full suicide mode, as he dont do unhooked tricks, he do only big air, so why he not rode on full mode ? This will definitely soften impacts all time if something happen in big jump.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:35 pm
Thank you. Strange that Ruben dont used this full suicide mode, as he dont do unhooked tricks, he do only big air, so why he not rode on full mode ? This will definitely soften impacts all time if something happen in big jump.
Sometimes it's nice to be able to depower the kite with a single QR pull especially in boots.

Here's a Ruben Lenten rag doll:

He knows how to rig suicide he wanted to rig it this way for one reason or another, I wasn't there so I can't second guess the reasons.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat May 04, 2019 8:45 pm

By the way he’s not lucky and it was not just his fibula - he has a really severe compression fracture of the distal tibia and has fractured his malleolus. This fracture is basically right in the ankle joint and will be tough to come back from. Look at the video and you’ll see the fluoroscopy image showing how much metalwork there is in there.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 05, 2019 2:33 am

edt wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Here's a Ruben Lenten rag doll:

He knows how to rig suicide he wanted to rig it this way for one reason or another, I wasn't there so I can't second guess the reasons.
OK, here's the other thing: we often see Ruben & others mega looping in extremely shallow water. In the case of this video - it looks like the water may actually have been so shallow that he grounded out on landing, causing the front of the board to dig in. Imagine the QR dumping him from 50 feet straight into one foot deep water. His ankles might not be the only thing he would have broken.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Sun May 05, 2019 8:36 am

a99 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:35 pm
Not so strange really. Pretty much every ozone video by any rider has a shot of them clipping the QR in order to promote the mechanism. He would simply have clipped into normal mode to get the b-roll footage at the start of the session.

Return to “Videos”