Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Postby br44 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:53 am

The QR activation looks suspect, however this accident is primarily (or my take, entirely) user error.

Anyone using a kite to reach great heights (big jumps, loops, or soaring in the mountains when snowkiting) must think very hard and make absolutely sure that there will be no accidental disconnection. Two quick options: (1) a solid connection without QR (like in climbing), or (2) a backup connection in case the primary QR connection is released or activates by mistake, or fails (like in paragliding). Yes - more pros and cons follow out of these choices. But those can be considered in advance, and in the end the least risky path can be chosen (obviously including no riding, no jumps, no boots, etc.).

It simply doesn’t do to merely assume that everything will work as it should. That’s relatively OK for foiling and simple riding (my case), where the worst case scenario is basically loss of gear. Which is not a big deal. Losing your gear (well assuming no bystanders etc.) is nothing compared to an accident like this.

You can be reckless many times, and make it. In his words, "it was unlucky, I've pulled many mega-loops, and this never happened". Sure. But the possibility of a fall like this was always there.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat May 04, 2019 3:02 am

This is obviously what is called an "Accidental release". That is when something causes the release to activate unintendedly. Be that the user with a hand or other body part, some part of the user's equipment like harness or board, or the environment like ground or debris, or a malfunction of the release which could be from something breaking or it's poor design. In all causes I would say poor design of the release increases the likely hood of an accidental release. With a higher level of riding an accidental release is more likely, because mistakes are more likely.

You can clearly see Rubens hand brush against the release and activate it. You could say he is at fault! but it is quite easy to design a release that this would not happen. The primary fault at first look of the Ozone release is the size. The larger a release is the more likely something is to catch and activate it. If such a easily activated release is beneficial to some then they should use that type of release. I personally have seen no situation were I have needed such a release and in fact having such has endangered me, my gear and other people on many occasions. I would not recklessly use or own such gear that which I consider incredibly stupid.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am

I think Ruben might have been saved if he had rigged full suicide here, then the kite would more than likely have caught him. As it is the kite is flagged at the top of the loop. You can still dump the kite if you are rigged full suicide, hit the QR and then the leash release. I won't second guess him though when you are doing stuff like this it's not the spectator's job to assess the various risks, as there are reasons to rig full suicide and reasons not to. Of course I blame the QR for the most part it shouldn't go off on a touch. The euro standard I think is 10NM force, you aren't allowed to sell a QR if it doesn't release in 10NM or less, and if Ozone has their set at 1NM that's not right, you should put it up at 10NM. 1NM is a few ounces of force. Way too light, and I like my QR's to be light.

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Sat May 04, 2019 5:53 am

Messed up ankle.
High risk of arthritis, pain and stiffness. Good luck to his future

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Sat May 04, 2019 6:55 am

Although not being the biggest Len10 fan I can only admire his positive outlook! Things can always go bad but keeping a positive mindset is the most essential feature to get you back up! Whether it is a material issue or a personal error I am quite sure he will recover soon and lot him restrict himself in any way! Looking forward to the return of the comeback kid!

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:58 am

Even in this video picture you we can see how big and not in our time standarts loos this giant Ozone QR for dinosaurus. i will neber bought it even from looking. It looks not relaliable. But kite industry must release bars for pros who doing big airs with double QR systems, it must be done for our safety !!!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Watching it at slow speed, it looks like the lip on the QR sits on top of his thumb knuckle. As the kite goes through the loop that movement pushes the QR against his knuckle, and as the kite goes the down, the QR effectively pulls itself against his knuckle to release.

That level of bad luck is on a par with mine :(
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
edt (Sat May 04, 2019 4:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat May 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Looking at it again at slow speed I'm inclined to agree with the above comment. His left knuckle seems to be jammed against the QR and then does start to push it away. There is still the question of release force but in general low release force is considered a positive thing so I'm not sure Ozone can be blamed for that. Let's continue with the wild speculation though!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat May 04, 2019 4:22 pm

It happens.

And this is broken fibula if not mistaking. From that height and velocity he was lucky to get away with only this.

The ankle might not be all fractured and everything displaced, however good chance that talar dome got hit as well due to velocity. The MRI will tell. That's how they found my fracture. 4 months after. Still limping, 6 after the injury.

I always had my suspicion about this release. The pin inside of it might be the issue.

It can be seen that the CL is on an angle, the complete release is off by some degree (1.28). That is placing a lot of stress on the pin, which, because the RED plastic release is on an angle too (from outside this is clearly visible, not 100% sure about inside, check for yourself), pushes it to open.

If the RED plastic is square and not on an angle as it is, it would not open, I think.

Not easy to test this in the lab, even harder to simulate when riding.

And why is everything on an angle? See the donkey dick? ;) well, a stiffy one makes a big difference. Anyway, not proven, so take with some salt.

Yeah, speedy recovery mate, six more breaks to catch up with me ;)

And back thoughts? Laugh it off...

PS
A pro tip, Im sure doctors put him on the blood thinners for DVT, b/c this is what almost got me real bad.
Last edited by downunder on Sat May 04, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat May 04, 2019 4:37 pm

edt wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am
I think Ruben might have been saved if he had rigged full suicide here, then the kite would more than likely have caught him. As it is the kite is flagged at the top of the loop. You can still dump the kite if you are rigged full suicide, hit the QR and then the leash release. I won't second guess him though when you are doing stuff like this it's not the spectator's job to assess the various risks, as there are reasons to rig full suicide and reasons not to. Of course I blame the QR for the most part it shouldn't go off on a touch. The euro standard I think is 10NM force, you aren't allowed to sell a QR if it doesn't release in 10NM or less, and if Ozone has their set at 1NM that's not right, you should put it up at 10NM. 1NM is a few ounces of force. Way too light, and I like my QR's to be light.
No.

It is not that light, not even close. Tested it in a shop.

Yes, I agree with you, and thats the reason for clipping the leash as Kevin L does, or as you say, which Ive posted a photo many times.
Which is how I ride as well, most of the time.

Even if the leash snapped, it might soften the impact, who knows...

D.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
edt (Sat May 04, 2019 6:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Videos”