Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Postby Flyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:40 pm
The thing that strikes me about the video is that, by Ruben's standards, the conditions were pretty benign & the jump was not particularly high. The injury appears to have been caused by crash landing with boots. Are boots too problematic for jumping really high in extreme conditions?
They suck when you crash, but they're great for stable landings. Straps are the other way around.
Yeah - I get that. Probably lots of injuries from landing badly with straps too.

Falling from this height, without the kite to slow your descent, would be potentially life threatening - with or without boots - so you definitely don't want a QR that opens unexpectedly. On the other hand, if Ruben had been able to kick off the board, it's not likely that he would have been seriously injured at all. It seems like he must have landed in a bad way to cause his severe fractures - in fact, I'm a bit surprised, with all his experience, that he didn't anticipate the consequences of the flat impact & try to land differently. I don't know if he has commented on this?
Attachments
Going Big.png

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 pm
in fact, I'm a bit surprised, with all his experience, that he didn't anticipate the consequences of the flat impact & try to land differently.
Are you serious? :o
That's a height where you can't do much but brace yourself and hope you don't break anything.
There is not much he could've done to avoid injuries.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 pm

dice wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:23 pm
Flyboy wrote:
in fact, I'm a bit surprised, with all his experience, that he didn't anticipate the consequences of the flat impact & try to land differently.
That's a height where you can't do much but brace yourself and hope you don't break anything.
You're looking at the video right ... not that photo of Enrico Van de Laar? The jump was not very high by Ruben standards. I'm guessing that Ruben must have had many difficult landings over his career, so has some experience at dealing with it. If falling from that height with boots results inevitably in severely broken ankles ... it would seem that boots are not a very safe choice.

I don't like to think what would have happened to Enrico Van de Laar if his QR opened at the apex of his jump ... boots or no boots. :(

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 pm

It seems that for megaloop and bigair riders with boots must be created board QR system, probably with long leash attashed to both foot binding that rider can release board in few seconds !!!!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:05 pm

a99 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 pm
It seems that for megaloop and bigair riders with boots must be created board QR system, probably with long leash attashed to both foot binding that rider can release board in few seconds !!!!
Because of one serious injury of a pro rider?
I would like to see some statistics on these type of injuries first. Maybe better to make/use a better QR?
Something with a stronger bungee counter acting unintentional release? Pro riders are strong enough to overcome a bit larger release force than us the lesser gods...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:37 am

dice wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:23 pm
Flyboy wrote:
That is true.

As on this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2400721&p=1067316

do we really think that Dimitry should be able to do better in this situation? It happens.

Broke my ankle, used straps, and the other foot was ok. Landed super flat, one foot gave away. Did not even imagine that this would happen. But it id.

BTW, I tested this bar some time before this incident, and did not find it that touchy to release. Yes, on the easy side, but not that easy.

But that's not the point. The point is that you guys are paying BIG bucks for this bar, and it should be PERFECT. Otherwise, use a broom stick as a bar, and kiss release ;)

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Hmmm....
Attachments
Screenshot_20200110-132109~2.png

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Full info here: https://ozonekites.com/news/article/cli ... art-recall
ozonekites wrote:All Click-In Loop users are required to read fully and take action if necessary.

We made a routine Quality Control check on all Click-In Loop stock in our factory. We found a small number of Click-In Loop parts from a recent production batch had a minor manufacturing issue by a third party that may mean they do not work as expected.

As safety is our main concern we have decided it is prudent to replace the Stainless Steel Release Lever even though we consider the chances of a problem as very low. We will supply the new part to your shop/dealer. Replacing the part is easy and requires a 2mm Hex key.

Please take the following steps:

1. Check if your Click-In Loops Stainless Steel Release Lever is marked with a small dot as in the photo (above).

2. If your Stainless Steel Release Lever has the mark you do not need to take action.

3. If your Stainless Steel Release Lever does not have the mark please contact your shop/dealer who will arrange the part to be replaced.

Replacing the Click-in loop Stainless Steel Release Lever

Download a How to pdf HERE or watch the video HERE

We apologise for any inconvenience. We are dedicated to quality, safety and would like to ensure that all our products are working as designed.

Thanks

Team Ozone

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 pm

So can this defect trigger unintended release or is it something else?

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:09 am

Looked as though cranking that bar hard jammed his hand between it and the release. A hair-trigger release for sure. 5 months tho.
These users thanked the author RedSky for the post (total 2):
downunder (Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 am) • a99 (Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:45 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Videos”