Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

10 Commandments of Kitesurfing

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

10 Commandments of Kitesurfing

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:17 pm

There are many spoken and unspoken rules when it comes to kitesurfing. As a beginner, you may run into some difficulty, or perhaps an embarrassing situation or two, if you don’t know these rules (or 'commandments' as we like to call them). It’s also not a bad idea to have a quick refresher every so often as an experienced kitesurfer. So here are our top ten commandments for kitesurfing - enjoy!

These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
grigorib (Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 10 Commandments of Kitesurfing

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Nice :)

Few things to add:
- I'm not thy God and you shall take any other God's advice if it makes sense. Take any advice with grain of salt. Think.
- Help other ones. Not only with a beer or smile but help them out. Tow them back to shore if they're struggling. Bring board in front of a struggling beginner. Turn that "trailing edge down" over for the stranded ones. Karma goes long way
- Don't pee into your wetsuit unless it's one you're about to throw away soon. Don't take that stinky blob into a car. Concentrated urine stinks
- learn to be self-sufficient. Learn to drift launch and self land. Bring spare parts. Assume nobody will save you, so be cautious (they probably will, but not guaranteed and probably not as quick as you want it)
- Don't hog space. Don't keep your lines laying all over tiny beach. Don't occupy that precious flat spot all by yourself. Don't stand with kite over your head on the beach preventing others from throwing nice transitions next to shore. Don't steal that wave from a poor surfer who had butt in water for 15 minutes to ride for 20 seconds.

Thong over wetsuit is something new to see :) Actually it's a good indication that a girl has and would wear one instead of "lack-o-self-confidence one-piece". Unfortunately a thong won't cover bare ass when seam rips open and your jewels start shining through. And a protection layer before sitting on those rocks is not a bad idea.
Let's be fair - most girls wear that underwear under wetsuit while probably not many guys wear anything under theirs. So I'd challenge girls to wear wetsuit over naked body in return for commandment #1
But I agree - shorts over thick wetsuit in cold water - that looks ridiculous.

We need to crash to Toronto scene one day and ride with them Flysurfer folks :)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Also... Do not pump up three kites, leaving two on the beach (not even nesting them, with bars and lines all over the place) while riding with the other one. Better yet, only pump up the kite you are going to use.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Luckily I only have one kite...that’s not my problem ;-)

But I do have a problem with not shorts over my wetsuit...luckily taste of everyone is different!

And I do think a bikini over the wetsuit is sexy 👍🏻

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:01 pm

When I saw that the "10 Commandments" video was over 9 minutes long, and then saw that the first "Commandment" was about board shorts over wetsuits, I promptly moved on to another thread. I don't have an opinion about board shorts and wetsuits except that, if it's the first "Commandment", the other 9 can't be all that important to me.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Boardshorts over wetsuit=ashamed of shrinken cold cock? 😂

I havent peed in my wetsuit.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart
Been thanked: 0

Postby Galeltic » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:39 pm
Luckily I only have one kite...that’s not my problem ;-)

But I do have a problem with not shorts over my wetsuit...luckily taste of everyone is different!

And I do think a bikini over the wetsuit is sexy 👍🏻
is that why u wanna any hot chicks look at your bottom ? :baby:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Don't care who wears shorts, don't care if bikini bottom comes off body dragging (bikini top may cause drag if not properly filled).
Replace that with though shalt not trample on other kitesurfers lines! It treads dirt into the lines and if unlucky it could cut fibres on sharp shells etc.

Still not sure whether this was taking or not taking the piss.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:54 am

You guys are too funny about the boardies over wetty.

I use ion boardies with a harnes over wetties. How else? ;)

Or that is ok? ;)

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:22 am

Herman wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:16 pm
Replace that with though shalt not trample on other kitesurfers lines! It treads dirt into the lines and if unlucky it could cut fibres on sharp shells etc.
Thats what you get for leaving em out!

It's just the same old generic blaa being churned out by a suitably hot chick, she convieniently missed the 'thou token eye candy must wear only bikini in kite vid' commandment.

Return to “Videos”