Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We filmed a kite beach for 8 hours ... crashes

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: We filmed a kite beach for 8 hours ... crashes

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 am

Can someone film some hours of Tarifa kite beach with its 50 kite schools and normal rider?

Now that must be true hell

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:15 pm

mr_daruman wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:54 am
#1 mistake. Nearly everyone seems to be overpowered on a kite way bigger than they really need. Judjing from the trees on the sea conditions looks like 20~25knots?
Cuban Trades are not that strong, 17-20 knots unless cold front kicks them up to 27, but you are right, people tend to be on the wrong size over there.
Kiters come mostly from Ontario and Quebec Canada. Most of them have 9m which they use on twintips and surfboards back home. For the Cuban wind range 10m is the best, especially when you left your surfboard back home. So you see a lot of them using 12m for that reason. The second thing is; these are mostly beginners and untrained intermediates who make a classic mistake of digging the edge and flying low so the 9 or even 10 doesn't work for them. I went from 7 and 9 to 8 and 10, just because of Cuba.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:24 pm

oksman wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:36 am
Toby wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:42 pm
unbelievable what mistakes are being made...90% of kiters have no clue about safety.

A must for everyone to be safer is the safety video I made:

https://strictlyhooked.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2464
Toby, that's a really nice instructional video you've produced, kudos. However, I would add just a couple of things regarding safety

1 - Avoid attaching the leash to the back of the harness, it might make it very difficult to eject completely the kite in an emergency situation

2 - When overpowered, I don't agree one should hold the board and body drag to the shore. IMHO it's much safer if you keep your board on your feet and your kite low, and then slowly direct yourself to the shore. That way you have much more leverage than only your body to oppose and control an overpowered kite!

Regards
I can add to this also.

Launching towards the land is also silly in high winds with a powered kite. You will be dragged inland if the launch goes wrong.

Launch facing the water with the kite at the water's edge. That way you don't have to fly the kite over the zenith to get to the water while standing on the beach.

I also don't agree with body dragging in holding the board. That means you have less control of your kite and could potentially get wrapped up in your lines particularly in a wave location. Keep the board on your feet then you have move leverage if super-powered. Or ditch the board altogether and retrieve it after landing the kite.

Also, don't trust that the person launching you know what they are doing. Instruct then not to let go until you give the thumbs up and get them to repeat the instruction to confirm they understand. I have had experienced kitesurfers that should know better launch me by simply chucking the kite before the lines are tight and before I've given the thumbs up.....

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 am

What surprises me very often is basic body dragging skills upwind to your board seems to be completely lacking, even for many experienced kiters.
I learned body dragging with one hand out (front hand) pointing upwind practicing both sides, to simulate edging on a board. The best advice I ever got. This also teaches you one hand control of your kite. Never had to use a leash, always got back to my board.
These users thanked the author mr_daruman for the post:
windmaker (Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:20 am

Why go kiting when you can just stroll on that beach for your excitement :-)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 am

One of my local spots was like that today. Was almost hit by a tomahawked kite when starting out. One kiter almost took my head off when he changed direction abruptly without looking to see that I wss down wind and behind him about 75 yards. He dove the kite right into me and I ducked to avoid his bridle lines. Some were crashing their kites in the landing area, not even asking for an assist. Dozens of kites on the beach with lines strewn about. High winds seems to attract the kooks. Most of the kiters were not locals.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:53 am

This is absolutely typical for the number of mistakes during 8 hours on a windy day on ANY busy kite beach.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm

mr_daruman wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 am
What surprises me very often is basic body dragging skills upwind to your board seems to be completely lacking, even for many experienced kiters.
I learned body dragging with one hand out (front hand) pointing upwind practicing both sides, to simulate edging on a board.
Body dragging can be a significantly harder in low wind situations and near impossible in spots with unfortunate wave conditions/position where waves are breaking all around you..

For anyone learning I would recommend learning in optimal conditions say 18-20 knots, flat water and add some buoyancy like a impact vest.
In these conditions you should be able to get plenty upwind even if you make a few mistakes along the way like pulling the kite to fast across the window when you change directions.

As said, hand forward and basically planking / making your body as straight as possible should make it trivial to get to your board.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:33 am

One interesting thing at 0:56.
The guy seem to land the kite on purpose, by fronstalling it in the air on purpose. Do you analyse this like me ? We see the kite being "shaked" in its fly , certainly by pulling on the right front line by the pilot.

I do this to land alone but first I lay the kite on the ground like with an assistant and then pulmml hard on the upper (here right front line); what is your opinion in doing it BEFORE the kite touches the ground like we see? It seems to work well here with kite going more francky to the ground and with less risk of " relaunch - then go to the middle of the Window", doen't it ?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Regis

I agree with your analysis. Some of the kites I fly just don't like to be pulled down off a tip (they flip back too easily when they get near the horizontal) and if I am going to land that way I have to be flying them across and down and then pull the top front line hard to stall and prevent it being a hard crash. You need to have a low V to get enough top front line in to make it a really soft landing. If you have to pull both front lines it still goes down but harder and does not turn into wind as much.

I suggest you also evaluate trimming in and unhooking. Have the flag out at the top. Fly across and down hard as if to overfly the window and at the last moment release the bar, this will have the same effect. (Use one hand on chicken loop one hand on bar if required.) You could do it by firing the qr but I use a variety of dodgy chicken loops and so it would be hard for me to get the timing right with a qr release.

The best method is quite kite specific for this style of landing imho and you have to find what works for your kites at your launch but I am sure you knew all that. No wind here at present so I am just having a general ramble.

Regards Herman

(Footnote: He flagged/pulled earlier than I do, which might make it harder to judge where the kite will end up sitting but equally it may be just what works for the kite and rider.)
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Videos”