Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jumping Higher Tutorial (inc: landing, heli-loops, launching, wind / water conditions & safety tips)

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Jumping Higher Tutorial (inc: landing, heli-loops, launching, wind / water conditions & safety tips)

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:50 pm

This detailed tutorial guides you through the process of learning to boost higher. It is designed for kiters are landing small jumps consistently. It covers:
-landing technique first of all, since this is a key problem area and needs to be mastered before jumping higher.
-next, it explains strategies for launching higher, such as how to hold an edge at increased speeds.
-then, it walks through a 10m+ jump step by step.
-lastly, it looks at the importance of wind strength, water conditions, reducing risks as you start to boost higher.

**NOTE**As you boost higher you are definitely at increased risk. These risks can be mitigated with lots of light-wind practice, and by maintaining your equipment in top condition.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jumping Higher Tutorial (inc: landing, heli-loops, launching, wind / water conditions & safety tips)

Postby Herman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:32 pm

Congratulations to the makers of the above wonderful summary and tutorial. I hope all the young guys coming into the sport appreciate just how useful all that information will be. I would have "killed" for that video 15 years ago. (Metaphorically speaking!)

Thanks for posting Toby.

Regards Herman.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Jumping Higher Tutorial (inc: landing, heli-loops, launching, wind / water conditions & safety tips)

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:52 pm

That is indeed a nice video, explains a little more thoroughly what is needed. I wish I had the nerve to try the heliloop for landing, I just can't bring myself to try it. Otherwise, especially in Cape Town with these strong SEasters we've had this week, anyone can jump as high as they like off ramps, indeed I sometimes chicken out of a jump when I get too high for comfort, letting the bar out briefly to stop the rising.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:27 pm

I found the best way to train heliloops is when you are just powered and with a bigger kite, for me 11-14m. Either in normal jumps or transitions. Thus you build the muscle memory and get really comfortable.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 am

Well, I gave it a go. To be honest I just don’t know how people fly their kites so accurately without looking at them.

Simon

Return to “Videos”