Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Gethighwithmike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach - Cape Town, Balneario - Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach - Cape Town, Balneario - Tarifa
Style: Big Air, Oldschool
Gear: CORE and Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored rider and private coach
Has thanked: 0

How To Heli Loop / Downloop / Landing Loop

Postby Gethighwithmike » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:00 pm

A heli loop, downloop or landing loop, is the loop you throw before landing a massive jump! You need to use one of these if you’re coming down from big heights, because generating enough lift at the right time becomes increasingly difficult with higher jumps. This is the maneuver that encouraged me to start coaching. Let me know what you think or drop questions in the comments! Nyeowww! :D

These users thanked the author Gethighwithmike for the post:
Milko0k (Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:28 am)
Rating: 10%

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Core XR6 8M, XR5 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon, Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: HOW TO HELI LOOP / DOWNLOOP / LANDING LOOP

Postby leeuwen » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi Mike, excellent videos
The video was posted here before but cool that you are here to answer questions!
Just a short question: you mention loops with the back hand are harder to do because they create more forwards momentum.
Could you explain why this is happening? On my low (8m) jumps it actually seems to slow me down because the loop is somewhat behind me.
Does the dynamic change somehow on higher jumps? Eg “parking” the kite causes this? Or is there something else involved?

Thx!

Kitemenn
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:34 am

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm
The video was posted here before but cool that you are here to answer questions!
Just a short question: you mention loops with the back hand are harder to do because they create more forwards momentum.
Could you explain why this is happening? On my low (8m) jumps it actually seems to slow me down because the loop is somewhat behind me.
Does the dynamic change somehow on higher jumps? Eg “parking” the kite causes this? Or is there something else involved?

Thx!
I have both ways, pulling it somewhat later can make it parachute you (slowing you down), however pulling it earlier can help you to gain momentum and continue your ride.

This weekend I was trying the front hand loop but had the feeling it was pulling me into the opposite direction of travel which I thought was counterintuitive. Been doing back hand heliloops for a while now but seem to struglle with the forehand...

Gethighwithmike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach - Cape Town, Balneario - Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach - Cape Town, Balneario - Tarifa
Style: Big Air, Oldschool
Gear: CORE and Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored rider and private coach
Has thanked: 0

Postby Gethighwithmike » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:53 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Thx!
Hey Leeuwen! Loops with the back hand are harder because they require sending your kite forward during the jump at some point (if you're doing them the correct way, at least ;) ) and this added speed from sending the kite makes the landing both faster and riskier. Hope this helps! Nyeowww!

Return to “Videos”