Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m Unboxing and first impressions

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m Unboxing and first impressions

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:44 pm

I put together a quick little video of my unboxing and some first impressions. Stay tuned for extensive reviews and comparisons.

These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
grigorib (Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:12 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana, SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/105/111cm masts with 637+695/425 590/330 679/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530

Moses 590/647/330 $690, Moses 679/749/483 $890, 80cm alu mast $260

Re: Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m Unboxing and first impressions

Postby grigorib » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:21 pm

Very pretty. Very

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Thanks, I really love how they designed it this time around. They are gorgeous on the water. Just wish they kept the 11 blue but oh well.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi Guys.

Some more Details from me about the SONIC 3. I hope, it answers you some questions.
Otherwise let me know and I will answer here.

These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post:
Oldman (Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:54 am)
Rating: 8.33%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 pm

Quite a lot same line lengths in bridle upper levels, so shape must have been taken care of in primary lines, but why not. Same lengths of course make it easier to check if there is some shrinkage happened in the bridle ("long mixer test").

In line plan C line row second level is marked as DC 60 line, IDK if that is correct but it is quite thin even though it is C line row. IMO it should have been DC 100 like in B line row. Also A lines have same line thicknesses on different levels. These designs mean 2:1 loads for same line strength/thickness.

Mixer is usual 1:2:4 and line row locations are quite even. So apparently there is not much if any camber change during powering up. But at least camber isn't decreasing when AoA increases :)

Bridle is spaced about 2-3 cells which is perhpas a bit conservative but for sure good choice. Inner structure seems to be H-ribs from A to C and lots of usual straps. Lots of weight reducing cuts in these parts. In TE there is "little ribs" which are usually known as mini ribs.

AR increases slightly for bigger sizes. This is done by "stretching" kite but because cell count is quite high 55 it is ok. Other way to do it is to design every size separately.

For sure this is an excellent kite for its kind but nowadays FS is not alone with this kind of products. For example PL Aero V2 offers very high performance and quite nice usability with a bit more higher specs than Sonic3.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:49 am

Hi Kiteexpert.

You are right, that 60 kg at intermediate bridle Leven and top lines sound strange. Unfortunately lines are not in all different thickness/breaking strength with similar behavior like elongation, shrink, aging, ... available. DC 40 is not as good as the DC60 for example. DC 100 is also less good. We use our experience form Kite and Paragliding Buissenes to use the best once we can get. That can result to such decisions.
In the past we just did it based on breaking strengt and load at the line.

With the position of the Bridle we play a lot. It is one of the most things you modify. We just take what works overall better. The Sonic 3 have no backstall even with tighter B level while sheeting in it if sits a bit further forward. It is a questions also where the airfoil bends if you increase the chamber of the airfoil while powering up.

We also compare if more/less cells work better or not. The SOUL has less cells at smaller sizes, as it worked a tiny bit better there. But to be honestly, it was a tight decision after a lot of testing.
Main reason was to make it less aggressive and a bit more forgiving to attract similar target group with the big and small SOUL.
With the Sonic, we prefer maxiimum performance at all sizes possible. Bigger Sonic should not get too heavy.

We look forward, to get more customers feedback after they compared it. I hope, you also get your hands on one to test it properly.

Cheers, Armin

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 am

Ok thanks for the clarifying answer about the choices for lines and cell counts etc. 55 cells is plenty and wing looks very clean so all good there. Complexity and weight are still in control, and these are not kites for beginners or those who doesn't have earlier experience of foil kites anyway.

I'm looking forward to test Sonic3. I liked quite a lot of Sonic2 so I'm sure it will be good.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Yes, the Sonic 3 is for foil lovers.

I hope you all can go kiting and give some feedback.

Cheers, Armin

Return to “Videos”