Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing vs Windsurfing Injuries

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kitesurfing vs Windsurfing Injuries

Postby Toby » Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Who is more likely to get injured: a kitesurfer or a windsurfer? While the answer may not surprise you, what is truly interesting is the breakdown of injuries that occurred by skill level, as well as where kiting and windsurfing injuries are most likely to happen.

These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
a99 (Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kitesurfing vs Windsurfing Injuries

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 14, 2020 3:38 am

Be nice if they’d broken down the injuries into sub-categories

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby UKSurf » Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 am

Have done both sports for a number of years Windsurfing can be totally safe or dangerous depending on how you practice the sport. Kitesurfing is inherently dangerous and in a totally different league in terms of danger. Sure windsurfing can be dangerous if you ride in large waves, do very technical freestyle or rotations but you have to add the danger to the sport. The blasting, jumping and gybing form of the sport that most windsurfers do is one of the safest high speed adrenaline sports you can practice in my opinion. With kitesurfing all it takes is to lose control of your kite, have an equipment failure, get hit by a gust or get tangled in your lines when the wind drops and you are in a very bad place very quickly.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 am
Have done both sports for a number of years Windsurfing can be totally safe or dangerous depending on how you practice the sport. Kitesurfing is inherently dangerous and in a totally different league in terms of danger. Sure windsurfing can be dangerous if you ride in large waves, do very technical freestyle or rotations but you have to add the danger to the sport. The blasting, jumping and gybing form of the sport that most windsurfers do is one of the safest high speed adrenaline sports you can practice in my opinion. With kitesurfing all it takes is to lose control of your kite, have an equipment failure, get hit by a gust or get tangled in your lines when the wind drops and you are in a very bad place very quickly.
Exactlly ......20 or more kiters get killed world wide every year from Kiting injuries, I don't thint 20 windsurfers have died in the past 20 years...

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu May 14, 2020 2:16 pm

I think there is a greater chance of injury in windsurfing, but a greater chance of dying in kitesurfing.

There is just a lot of stuff you can impact when windsurfing.

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu May 14, 2020 4:42 pm

matth wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm
UKSurf wrote:
Exactlly ......20 or more kiters get killed world wide every year from Kiting injuries, I don't thint 20 windsurfers have died in the past 20 years...
And most of the windsurfers who died just happened to die of old age while windsurfing :thumb:

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 pm

matth wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm
UKSurf wrote:
That's was my thoughts too.

I wonder do they equate for the fact that there is more Kiters than windsurfers 👍

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 7, 9, 12 Crazyfly Bulldozer 2020 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:38 am
There was a more recent study in the Netherlands where a lot of kiters were followed for a certian period (I participated as well), and had to fill in a form every few weeks. I cannot find hte presentation itself, but this is the (in Dutch) presentation that was given at a safety conference in 2015 of 16. Only kiting, no comparison with windsurfing.

https://spoedzorgnet.nl/sites/default/f ... surfen.pdf
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
Kamikuza (Fri May 15, 2020 3:55 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri May 15, 2020 4:02 am

Faxie wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
There was a more recent study in the Netherlands where a lot of kiters were followed for a certian period (I participated as well), and had to fill in a form every few weeks. I cannot find hte presentation itself, but this is the (in Dutch) presentation that was given at a safety conference in 2015 of 16. Only kiting, no comparison with windsurfing.

I meant more by “style”...

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 7, 9, 12 Crazyfly Bulldozer 2020 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Postby Faxie » Fri May 15, 2020 4:25 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:02 am
Faxie wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Kamikuza wrote:

I meant more by “style”...
We had to enter that in the form as well. Freestyle/ride or wave. Maybe some more, can't remember.

Return to “Videos”