Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why should we put our hands in the center of the bar? Why different bar sizes?

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Why should we put our hands in the center of the bar? Why different bar sizes?

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:13 pm

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: Why should we put our hands in the center of the bar? Why different bar sizes?

Postby edt » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:49 pm

pros dont put their hands in the middle to make it easier for them to turn the bar but so that the kite doesn't move around as much, watch a pro right before he does a megaloop he'll slip his hand more to the outside to make it easier to turn the kite especially if he's doing a one foot megaloop

I don't think there's anything wrong with a beginner putting his hands on the outside of the bar it helps them turn the kite so do it! Also I don't believe in this "straight leg" "bent leg nonsense" i don't believe in "poo stance"

Just kite with whatever form you personally feel comfortable with. That's all. As you get better maybe your hands will naturally move towards the center. Don't force it.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos), Milos & Agios Nikolaos (Lefkada)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5, Switchblade 7/10, Contra 13, Ozone Enduro V2 9, CrazyFly Raptor LTD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why should we put our hands in the center of the bar? Why different bar sizes?

Postby zlatko23 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:23 pm

The physics in the video is not correct - yes, it is a type 3 lever, but this means one is always at mechanical disadvantage force wise. So the closer your hand is to the fulcrum(centre of the bar) the greater force you have to apply to leverage the steering line pull at the bar end. But what you lose in force you gain in distance - small travel of your hand is translated in bigger travel for the bar end. I agree with @edt - the benefit of having your hand closer to the centre of the bar is that you have to put a greater force to steer the kite, so that light, unintentional movements do not translate in bar movements and kite turning. You have to really make an intentional pull/push with decent amount of force to steer the kite.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:33 pm

Yeah really bar size is personal preference. I have 5 bars all set up for different conditions and riding styles. I use smaller bars for tricks with longer lines. Surf I use a bigger bar with shorter lines. Same goes for foiling. Most riding is hands to the center of the bars but then certain tricks I'll move my hands further out. Where you put your hands does not change how far you can move the bar it changes how much force it takes to move it. Size changes the maximum amount you can move it and to what degree you move it based on your input.

SolarSet
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Boost3 7m, Switchblades 10m, Soul 15m
NHP Split, Shinn Ronson

Postby SolarSet » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Yeah he is mixing terms by stating "putting hands in the middle will gives you more precision and make turning easier" it is actually opposite. Small movement of bar with hand in the middle will require much more force and will result in less precision because steering lines will move much more than if you apply same movement to bar ends.

IMHO rider put hands in the middle because the opposite of what this guy is saying, it requires much more force to turn kite by keeping hands in the middle hence kite stays more where rider wants.

Return to “Videos”