Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Only Variable Which Matters After 40 For Your Kitesurfing

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: The Only Variable Which Matters After 40 For Your Kitesurfing

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:07 am

I can only agree to what he says.

Watching a video of yourself won't help to technically improve, but style.

When I crash a trick (and that happens many times), I immediately feel what is wrong.
Either, the kite position, my position, rotate or or less, jump higher, be quicker, more body tension, work against an unwanted rotation etc.

It's all about feeling it. And that is truly hard to translate to another person.

So, go out and try new stuff...instead of thinking too much about it.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Nah! The variable which matters most after 40 is time.

It goes much faster after 40, that’s why you look slower to a distant observer!

It also becomes more difficult for your conscious brain to interact with your subconscious brain, without causing a clusterfk, because they are running at different clock speeds. (This interaction requires concentration and, that ability will have been eroded by the effort required to maintain your dreams after the age of 40. If you are over 40 you probably didn’t even make it to the end of the video!)

Fortunately all my important memories are stored in my muscles and I flow when I am in the zone.

But I think I know what Sam is getting at even though I think the description is weird! The body is wetware not hardware!
Last edited by Herman on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:31 pm

The single best way to improve is to watch a video of yourself attempting a trick with a kite coach who can explain what is going on. The second best way to improve is to take videos of yourself doing your trick and then post them on kiteforum to get a critique.

How many times have you seen a post on these forums asking for help? There are always a million suggestions giving a million different kinds of advice. They don't know what to do. Some people have been stuck for years unable to make progress. Then one day they post a video Toby looks at it for two seconds and is able to immediately give advice on how to fix the mistake.

Leave this flow shit for kite philosophers and just take more videos of yourself.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:13 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:07 am
I can only agree to what he says.

Watching a video of yourself won't help to technically improve, but style.

When I crash a trick (and that happens many times), I immediately feel what is wrong.
Either, the kite position, my position, rotate or or less, jump higher, be quicker, more body tension, work against an unwanted rotation etc.

It's all about feeling it. And that is truly hard to translate to another person.

So, go out and try new stuff...instead of thinking too much about it.
You're also at the top of the game, whereas the rest of us aren't :P.

I agree when first trying out kiting it won't help much. Probably won't help much through doing basic backrolls. Once starting basic jumps, I think video starts coming into play and value of video escalates as skill level escalates. While initially it's likely to help with learning the basic trick, as you get more skilled, it becomes a lot less about learning a trick and more about style / dialing in the small margins.

As an example, a couple years ago when I was learning to loop, watching a video showed me two pretty glaring things:
1. I wasn't sending the kite quick enough.
2. I was pulling the loop way too late and way too hard.
After realising the problems, the feel change was almost immediate. Within a couple sessions I could feel when I pulled it too hard/late.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Semi Professional Master Baiter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 pm

i think video review helps everything.

Anytime a friend bothers to film you, you can learn from it, technique and yes style. Getting someone to film is the greatest problem when conditions are good.

It will also motivate you.

I have a bunch of almosts on video and when I watched them, i am lie F@##, i am going to stomp that next time.

Also, I like collecting stuff I have landed on video. The trick bag showreel.

And today, instagram is the go to place to get motivated. I wish there was a video platform not associated with FB.... well utilised by riders.

The skateboard industry hosts its own videos through Thrasher (as well as posting them on YT) and this enables them to have more control over their own sport which is most awesome.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:52 am

Herman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:11 pm
Nah! The variable which matters most after 40 is time.
Nope, I'd say the variable is "injuries incurred" while thinking, "well 47 is close enough to 37 to maybe pull this off"...... or not.

Herman wrote:
It goes much faster after 40, that’s why you look slower to a distant observer!
So what you are saying is that I think what I'm doing looks cooler than it is.....

Herman wrote:
It also becomes more difficult for your conscious brain to interact with your subconscious brain, without causing a clusterfk, because they are running at different clock speeds.
Wait, is this an unscheduled intervention again? We're not talking about booze again, are we?

Herman wrote:
(This interaction requires concentration and, that ability will have been eroded by the effort required to maintain your dreams after the age of 40. If you are over 40 you probably didn’t even make it to the end of the video!)
I didn't watch the video yet.....what's in the video???

Herman wrote:
Fortunately all my important memories are stored in my muscles and I flow when I am in the zone.
Fat is just muscle plus time. Thus it's like quantum computing memory......where am I going with this????

Herman wrote:
But I think I know what Sam is getting at even though I think the description is weird! The body is wetware not hardware!
That's the line of the frickin thread. Wet vs hard...... guess this is where it all winds up in the end. c'mon cappy, you've been there like me???
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Herman (Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:50 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Videos”