Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Location and help from a kitesurfer can help you self learn to kitesurf

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Location and help from a kitesurfer can help you self learn to kitesurf

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:11 pm

So i recommend you get a kitesurfer friend to help you or be nearby to assist you in case of need.
I know what you're thinking: if I had a kitesurfer friend to teach me, then I would no longer be teaching myself? That would be the same as taking lessons. If you go all by yourself without any help, you probably not even rig the kite correctly, so your very first attempt can be the last one.
Get at least the very first tips with someone that can help you. It's not a sport that you can figure out by trial and error without any guidance. Get at least a half-hour with a kiter on the beach to help you launch and land your kite and give you a few pointers. If you're still learning to pilot your power kite, your friend can grab you by the harness handle to help you fight traction and learn to better lean back against the wind.
Your friend will also help point out your most obvious mistakes, such as pulling down the bar at the wrong time or waiting too long before steering back up as your kite is heading downward.
That's not typically too much to ask from a friend, and it's usually something kitesurfers find pleasant and amusing.
Teaching you to kitesurf from scratch, on the other hand, would involve a higher commitment and responsibility. That is why you should take lessons in the first place. It will save you money and time by getting you the right gear and tips to quickly acquire the right skills.

Another critical point is:
Do you have a safe spot with the right conditions to practice? If you're going to teach yourself kitesurfing, you must pick an appropriate location with the right wind conditions. It would be best if you had a place with :
A lot of space and no crowds. To launch your kite, you need an empty area around you with a radius of at least 25 m (the length of your lines), plus some free space downwind from you in case you crash your kite or need to stop in case of emergency. Your lines are like blades at high speed, and you don't want to cut anyone's ear or throat during a bad launch or unexpected kite loop. The best is if you start with short lines. This way, the space you use is smaller and power also. Using short lines will help you a lot in your first attempts. Check out the video linked above about the short lines and their importance. In the description, I'll list a few more videos that can help you shorten your lines. Good schools will always have short lines to teach with, so you learn faster.
No obstacles nearby. No buildings, electric lines, cars, rocks, or other objects. Expect anything to happen, and plan for enough clearance downwind from you. If there's a building downwind, take your stuff and walk further where there isn't!
If you're at the water start stage: a beach (or lake) with as little waves and current as possible, a sandy bottom, and if possible shallow enough to walk even a few yards from the shore or stand up if things don't go your way. This can help you a lot and even when searching for a school, and this is something you should have in mind when choosing the place to have lessons.

Sideshore (parallel to the beach) or side-onshore wind with medium speed – too weak or too strong can make your learning much harder. Imagine you might get dragged downwind helplessly by your kite for a long time, and try to envision where you'd end up exiting the water if that happened.
If possible, try to arrange for someone with a boat or jetski to keep an eye on you and come to rescue you in case of an emergency, mainly if the wind is offshore. You may thank yourself later for doing this.

Return to “Videos”