Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why shallow water is dangerous

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why shallow water is dangerous

Postby Havre » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:43 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:33 pm
Havre wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:19 pm
The second most common dog in Norway is one of the so-called pitbulls. Why is it so popular?
Do they ban some dog breeds in Norway? Do they enforce the ban? What about gun laws? I'm guessing Norway is more strict than the US? Maybe we are talking about different dogs?
There are breeds that are banned in Norway. "Amstaff" which is one of the "pitbulls" are banned - and several others which are not "pitbulls".

Those laws are enforced yes - dogs that are banned and caught will be killed.

I guess no other country compares to the US when it comes to guns or firearms. Firearms are common in Norway and easy to get, at Svalbard it is mandatory to carry one outside of the city I believe :lol: , but you will have to go through a background check. Most firearms I guess are used for hunting - so I would have guessed that smaller handguns are not that common. You can get those as well, but then I believe you need to be a member of a club using it for competitions or something. Not sure how that relates to pitbulls?

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:48 pm

I was attacked once by a dog while snow kiting, but it was over 15 years ago. I am not sure what the breed was, but it was built more like a lab except the dog was black with longish fur.

The owner had set it free in a park, and was yelling to try to control it, but I imagine the dog saw me as something very odd and just could not resist.

Bundled up, and with a helmet and goggles on, at first I guessed it was one of my kiting friends messing with me when it came at me from behind.

Luckily, it mostly just grabbed at my harness and only got a small nip at my ass before I realized what was going on and was able to outpace it.

I once had a roommate who owned a Staffordshire terrier, and that dog was such a sweetheart that I was really surprised when people would sometimes jump out of the way when I took her for a walk.

She looked pretty tough, and if you were a stranger walking into the house she might bark once real tough as a warning, but if no one paid attention, she was likely to walk up, turn around, look back at you and wag her butt in an effort to get you to rub it

Another acquaintance of mine had a male American Pit Bull, and that dog could act very aggressive. Not mean, but he might start jumping up on you to show his dominance. It turned out that the owner actually had the dog very well trained, and if the owner was anywhere around it would pretty much ignore strangers... Unless you put your hand out to it, in which case it would decide to show you who was second in command.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 am

The fact is that in case of something happening, an angry yappy shit of a chihuahua is not going to cause as much damage to you than a supposedly calm well behaved pitbull.
And there can be many things that can trigger dogs in sort of unpredictable ways. From experience, some go mental when they see a kite, some go crazy at the sound of an e-bike, or a skateboard, the sight of an uniform, some smells, some random innocent things that are perceived as a threat...

So a chihuahua bite will be painful, will require monitoring for signs of infection, but most likely it's no big deal. Whereas a bite from pitbulls will result in more serious damage, possible loss of limb, or worse.

So I agree that education is everything, all about proper dog owner responsibility, etc... Yet, when shit hits the fan, as it rarely does, the damage potential very much comes into play, and that's where the breed makes the difference.

I've had 4 teeth holes in the leading edge of an Airblast, in the center part that is pretty much as big as my thigh and it's kind of scary to see the size of those jaws, (lesson learned, don't drop your kite in the shallows!),

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 am

LL2017 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:51 pm
You wont give an answer because you know, and almost all pitbull owners know too, that you take extra precautions with a pitbull because of the breed.

Dodging that question once again, you have provided damning evidence that you are aware of this and trying to cover it up.

It is common sense that pitbulls require extra care to be taken in training and handling. It's also common sense as to what there breeding was selected for. You know this, and so does every study of animial behavior.

Be honest. That goes further than the smoke screen you think you have created.
Last edited by Matteo V on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:37 am

Yep, for sure this is true, and good dogs only have good owners.

My biggest peeve is that dogs allowed to run free on the beach, where usually it is is outlawed, seem to have an irresistible urge to piss on kites.

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 am
The fact is that in case of something happening, an angry yappy shit of a chihuahua is not going to cause as much damage to you than a supposedly calm well behaved pitbull.
And there can be many things that can trigger dogs in sort of unpredictable ways. From experience, some go mental when they see a kite, some go crazy at the sound of an e-bike, or a skateboard, the sight of an uniform, some smells, some random innocent things that are perceived as a threat...

So a chihuahua bite will be painful, will require monitoring for signs of infection, but most likely it's no big deal. Whereas a bite from pitbulls will result in more serious damage, possible loss of limb, or worse.

So I agree that education is everything, all about proper dog owner responsibility, etc... Yet, when shit hits the fan, as it rarely does, the damage potential very much comes into play, and that's where the breed makes the difference.

I've had 4 teeth holes in the leading edge of an Airblast, in the center part that is pretty much as big as my thigh and it's kind of scary to see the size of those jaws, (lesson learned, don't drop your kite in the shallows!),

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 am

OK ... but with a golden retriever even deep water is no protection. :nono:

Given that aggression can be selected & bred into a breed in fairly short order (due to the the short interval between generations), presumably the opposite is also true: aggressive breeds can be made more docile & family friendly over time. I'm guessing that this is what has happened with responsible American Pit Bull breeders. However, it's clear that there are still many people owning & breeding these dogs to be aggressive, which means there are likely to be many dangerous Pit Bulls around for the foreseeable future. That dog attacking the kiter is no joke ... imagine if that were a small child playing in the water. :(

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:09 am

LL2017 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am
LL2017 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm

If you bothered to read the quoted statistics you would see that the "pitbull breed" is not #1 for dog bites.
Those weren't pages of statistics :lol: they were a collection of semantic arguments and desperate attempts to obfuscate what are very clear statistics.
Maybe you didn't have your glasses on? I'll post the link again for you. Which clearly links to the studies which show the "very clear statistics".

https://www.pitbullinfo.org/dog-bite-sc ... udies.html
Perhaps you failed to read my reply:

"Those weren't pages of statistics :lol: they were a collection of semantic arguments and desperate attempts to obfuscate what are very clear statistics."

You can waffle all you like about studies on dangerous dog breeds, but the statistics on fatalities clearly show that pit bulls and their mixed breeds are deadly -- be it due to the dogs themselves or meathead owners.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster

Postby Trent hink » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm
How about snakes in water?
I always yield and give way.

No kidding.

Have you seen one lately?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/695/730/600/637 wings and 310/273/230/425/420 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot/Moses 80cm alu mast $240. W695 wing, 1200 sq.cm wing, 273 sq.cm stabilizer

Postby grigorib » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:08 am

Trent hink wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 am
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm
How about snakes in water?
I always yield and give way.

No kidding.

Have you seen one lately?
Seen a couple in OBX

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:13 am

Havre wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:43 pm
Not sure how that relates to pitbulls?
I'm just curious what it's like in Norway with regard to guns. We spend a fair amount of time in Texas worrying that UN peacekeepers are going to come take our guns. In a way gun restrictrions and how strongly they are enforced are a marker of how far any given government goes to protect citizens from themselves. It strikes me that dog-breed restrictions represent a legislation that protects people from a risk that is smaller than guns.

The original intent of the question is to understand if Norway is serious about destroying dangerous dogs and dog-breeds and in particular subsets of pit-bull dogs. I suspect that Norwegian pit-bull dogs are weaker than American pit-bull dogs.

Return to “Videos”