Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Seat Harness vs Waist Harness. What Is The Best Choice For You in 2021?

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: Seat Harness vs Waist Harness. What Is The Best Choice For You in 2021?

Postby nherbold » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Now use that big brain of yours to explain to my little brain how hanging off a tree relates to the dynamics and continues motion involved in kite boarding? You ride with your kite at 12 much do you?

And how many people ride 3-5 hours continuously? Sure I've done it..lots of times, but that almost always included riding and relaxing, some lawn-mowing and just enjoying the ride and surroundings.

I am not referring to YOUR preference or MY preference, but rather the overall notion that a waist harness has to be put on tightly in order for it to be functional at it's optimal efficiency and comfort....yes riding style and ones general athletic level will all be deciding factors in what works for that person, but show me the professional rider doing (some) progressive free style (or wake style) including some unhooked tricks. Surely they spend hours and hours on the water and for some reason they all ride waist harness....must be a marketing ploy or they all really love kiting and being uncomfortable at the same time or could it be that for a certain type of riding a waist is preferred whilst another style would favor a seat?

You want to use an analogy go for one that actually makes sense. Yeah a sports car is fun and exciting, but you need to strap yourself in and get ready for some turbulence if you are gonna put the hammer down. Or you can take a comfortable sedan and cruise around at your leisure. Right tools for the right job is all I'm saying....and it helps to fully understand the tools......Like so many things a lot depends on the user.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:07 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:51 pm
As always with kiting it is very personal. Most important is fit & comfort.
BS!!!

ITS IMAGE - Image is everything. Image is the most important. Dont wear a diaper. A corset is much more fashionable. (Sarcasm)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:18 pm

Whatever makes you happy . A waist harness will NEVER offer the support, comfort and leverage that a seat harness does. A waist harness does work well with surfboards and foil where there is far less pull from the kite and comfort and broken ribs are not an issue..

Why do most folks wear waist? Fashion.

Your analogy is worse than mine. Are you implying that you cannot put the hammer down in a seat???? Lol

Most of the best kiters I know wear seats, and are on the WOO leaderboards on a regular basis..
Last edited by matth on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am

lederhosen wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:39 pm
nherbold wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:20 pm
matth wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:25 am

I just ask.." if you had to hang from a tree for 3 hours would you rather hang from your ass and hips or from your waist and ribs"?
Well argued....as all of us readily describe kite boarding as "hanging from a tree".
If a seat works better for you great, especially if that means you can now hang from that tree for 4 to 5 hours :thumb:
I got a treeclimbing harness this winter and have used it for snowkite and on the water and it is the most comfortable harness, both for foiling and for walking around.
And if you ever get your kite caught in a tree, you can use the same harness to get it out! :lol:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:36 am

matth wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:18 pm
Your analogy is worse than mine. Are you implying that you cannot put the hammer down in a seat???? Lol
You can put the hammer down way better with a waist harness because of your "crumple zone" ribs that act like a energy absorber when you send it. Instead of all of the force being transmitted to your delicate bottom, that force is absorbed by your gently breaking ribs. (Sarcasm)

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby drone » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:21 am

Poor racers, all have back problem :DD

Return to “Videos”