Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitefoiling Tacks - Heel to Toe - It's All In The Hips

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kitefoiling Tacks - Heel to Toe - It's All In The Hips

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:39 pm

These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
robclaisse (Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Re: Kitefoiling Tacks - Heel to Toe - It's All In The Hips

Postby robclaisse » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:15 pm

Damn it you're quick on the shares Toby :-) Came here to do it myself and you are one step ahead! Cheers

As always if anyone has any questions on the Heel to Toe tack, ask away. I know this has been a popular technique discussed here on the forum in the past, so I hope adds to the discussions and helps those looking to learn this tack.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LeoLeal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:34 pm

robclaisse wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:15 pm
Damn it you're quick on the shares Toby :-) Came here to do it myself and you are one step ahead! Cheers

As always if anyone has any questions on the Heel to Toe tack, ask away. I know this has been a popular technique discussed here on the forum in the past, so I hope adds to the discussions and helps those looking to learn this tack.
Hey Rob,
Thank you again. Your videos are helping me a lot.

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:19 am

robclaisse wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi Rob thanks a lot for the video, this really helps as I have been struggling with the move to no avail for quite a while.

Whats interesting is that the general advice for 180 is that you dont lean back and dont lean forward thru the move and initiate the turn off the back foot, watching your video it looks like you lean back quite a bit and initiate thru the hips. Wondering if its contradicting or is something i am missing?
thanks again

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. Glad the video is helping...
dkazhdan wrote: Whats interesting is that the general advice for 180 is that you dont lean back and dont lean forward thru the move and initiate the turn off the back foot, watching your video it looks like you lean back quite a bit and initiate thru the hips. Wondering if its contradicting or is something i am missing?
thanks again
Overall I think that with kitefoiling, that there can be a very wide range of ways of teaching some of the more advanced techniques and a lot is down to equipment and conditions. Tacking a 500cm2 foil compared to a 1200cm2 foil can require very different techniques but in fact two different brand's 1000cm2 wings might require different techniques. A lot of it comes down to how much yaw and low speed lift they have - with high lift and a foil that pivots sharply around the mast (lots of yaw), I've found you can keep your body more upright and enter and exit with less speed. As foils have less lift at lower speeds and less yaw, I tend to see that more speed is needed and you can have to carve through a wider carve, which can require you to lend back slightly (or a lot!). But your size of kite, how powered up you are and the sea state (flat, choppy or lumpy waves) all affect the best technique to use. All this makes it hard for generalised video instruction - it's why I have held off making a proper in-depth tacking video for now, as for me to do in the true Progression way it would have to cover quite a lot of options! It's also why coaching in person is so helpful for tacking as you can quickly adapt the techniques you use to the person and situation.

Directly related to my video, I think if you look again some tacks I lean back a lot others not so much, the more important action is to sit into the harness as you initiate the carve, which can be down or slightly outboard, resisting the kite and maintaining line tension.
My video is just a mixture of clips I had to hand rather than anything specifically filmed for these techniques.
And I actually went out and played around with different techniques after reading your comment so I could be sure of what I thought - on my setup, F-ONE Mirage Carbon 1000, doing a very slow tight pivoty carve with a very upright body is possible but it's actually quite hard to do it and stay foiling on the exit. That foil likes to be carved so that probably shows why I tend to show that style in the clips (I;m also 100kg so foils stall a bit quicker with me ;-). But overall, the hip technique - forward inboard and then forward towards the nose - is something I would advise whether you are carving in hard or pivoting around in a tighter arc. It may not be so obvious when you look at videos of people doing it with a more upright board but they are doing it! You may start driving off your back foot to initiate the turn (I don't really cover that in my video but that is what I'm doing initially) but you always need to get weight forward to exit, to get into that correct toeside position.

What I think is more interesting is once you start to consciously become aware of these hip movements you start to see that it is something you do with our hips in lots of other tricks/techniques. Once you are aware you can do it deliberately and you might find it starts to solve problems that are holding you back elsewhere.

Anyway, long ramble, hope it made some sense - the TL;DR is that kitefoiling is so great because there are many ways to skin a cat! And our hips are super important for getting us around most carves at some point :-D
These users thanked the author robclaisse for the post (total 2):
dkazhdan (Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 pm) • irwe (Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi Rob thanks for your reply, this really explains it very well, appreciated