Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning to Land my jumps with a Down Loop

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Playa Malvin in downtown Montevideo.
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Style: With a smile on my face
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None at this time

Re: Learning to Land my jumps with a Down Loop

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 pm

Dude,

Thank you again! A brilliant breakdown.

Agreed (now everyone is telling me the same), I should have learned to land jumps with downloops and heli-loops before trying kite loops!

This past weekend it was blowing 30+ knots down here in Uruguay and I therefore didn't have the balls to try any kite loops.

What I did do was to start to learn some down loops. I tried, I think, 8 in that session and had around a 75% success rate.

I was happy with that, considering the conditions.

Hopefully, I got some of it on my GoPro, however I looked at it part way through my session and it was saying "memory card full" - so we'll see!

Thanks again!!

Nick

Blackened wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 am
Kiteboarding Uruguay wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm
Thanks for the comments dude!

Heli-loops are definitely on my "to learn" list!!

Nick
Surprised you're just learning heli/down loops after learning kite loops. That's a fairly aggressive progression track :P.

1. The definition varies, but most people say down loops are front hand, heli loops are back hand.
2. Usually the definition of a heli or down loop is flying the kite past 12 overhead to "catch" you and give a secondary lift or slow down your descent. These are late kiteloops.

Tips:
1. 1:57 - kite position stuck at 12 - neither direction are you landing this cleanly
2. 2:07 - kite position stuck at 12, but you let the bar out allowing the kite to fly a bit more overhead to not drag you hard forward in the loop
3. 2:22 - don't loop with the bar out, it creates a larger, more powerful loop. Would've been a good downloop had you kept the bar in and just pulled your front hand as the kite was about 12:30.
4. 2:42 - as you said in the video, "a bit late". This is what I would tell people to do when they're learning powered kiteloops.
5. 3:00 - kite position stuck at 12 - landed because your jump was high/long enough to all the kite to recover overhead
6. 3:16 - kite position at 12, or even 12.30 - front hand hockey stick it.
7. 3:30 - kite position at 12.30
8. 3:42 - I can watch you think you've gone too high and slightly redirect back to the left, then pull the loop. This is exactly what you want to do. Except don't let the bar out and pull about .2s earlier.
9. Few others you just need to jump higher, have the kite a bit more to 11.30, and pull slightly earlier, which you surmised in the video.
10. 4:25 - Yes. Kite flown back to the left, then redirected overhead for a soft landing. Well done. This is a baby heli :)

Basically, as knotwindy said, fly the kite through 12 when you're doing the loop. For you as a left foot forward jumper, park the kite at 12:30 until you're descending. From there, front hand (left hand) down and bring the kite past 12 for a downloop. If you want to heli-loop, redirect the kite back to 11:30, then right hand down on the descent.

PS. Leave the bar all the way in when you jump.

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Playa Malvin in downtown Montevideo.
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Style: With a smile on my face
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None at this time

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:35 am

Hi everyone,

I had another attempt, this time with "proper" down-loops. Have a look and let me know what you think, if you have a few minutes free!

Thanks,

Nick

Si_DB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 107
Local Beach: Lancing Beach
Style: Averag
Gear: Ozone Torque V1
7,9 and 11m Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Si_DB » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:32 pm

It looked safer doing the late back kite loops on you previous video. Was hard to see what the kite was doing on this one and I couldn’t really work out what you were getting from it.

Fun to watch though but after seeing that face plant I’m not sure I’m more encouraged to give it a go.

Simon
These users thanked the author Si_DB for the post:
Kiteboarding Uruguay (Fri May 07, 2021 4:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Videos”