Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cold weather gear tips, I know its a bit late

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Cold weather gear tips, I know its a bit late

Postby bkkite » Fri May 21, 2021 11:46 pm

Still getting the hang of editing quickly, but here's some tips for cold weather. Let me know if you've got any I should add in future updates

These users thanked the author bkkite for the post (total 2):
Kiterisland (Sat May 22, 2021 12:49 am) • Delta99 (Sat May 22, 2021 3:38 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Re: Cold weather gear tips, I know its a bit late

Postby Kiterisland » Sat May 22, 2021 12:49 am

This is awesome. Thanks for making it. I love all my suits. Nothing like boosting in a blizzard, feels like you floating in a cloud.
These users thanked the author Kiterisland for the post:
bkkite (Sun May 23, 2021 3:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat May 22, 2021 2:59 am

A killer wetsuit is absolutely key

On something like my seventh year in a merino lined Patagonia. Will get their R4 suit again as soon as this one craps out.

I’m not much for the extra gloves and warm drinks, but find layering a merino or polypropylene base layer drops your wetsuit to another temp level.

My first 10 sessions have a base layer.

I’m never cold.

Dress at home, put a fucking pair of pants on and go kite.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sat May 22, 2021 11:42 am

Here in DE / NL it gets pretty cold in winter. On the other hand, winter is the best time of the year for wave kiting (strong consistent wind, large waves). Hence, you have to dress properly :lol:
My current winter wetsuit is the Xcel Infinity Ltd 5/4 mm with the "Radiant Rebound" material for most of the suit. I have to admit that this suit / material is the warmest I have yet experienced. At the same time it is very easy to put on / off (the inner material is rather slick and slippery, very comfortable) and although it is a backzip almost no water enters the suit (which was surprising to me, being used to chest zips for many years).
With a 1 mm neoprene long-sleeve top beneath I can comortably go out for 2 hours in 5 °C water and 5 °C air temperature.
I had a 2 mm neoprene hoodie (super warm!) but I prefer to have nothing on top of my wetsuit. A hoodie has quite a wide cut and is very loose fit. Such a hoodie can become a dangerous mess when you get into trouble from e.g. a looping kite. The hood for example can get washed over your face and block your view and/or nose mouth. Not good.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat May 22, 2021 1:47 pm

holy moly man those 6mm boots plus socks and incredibly thick gloves. I will go with 2mm gloves and 2mm neoprene socks, down to 32F 0C. But at 32F I will wear first layer underarmor, second layer 3/2 wetsuit, third layer fleece, fourth layer drysuit. In cold temperatures I always wear a wetsuit under the drysuit so if the drysuit gets a hole, I still have thermal protection, and this gives me confidence to get out from shore and do some tricks. I used to use a 5/4 and neoprene jacket but really love the drysuit because it gives you instant warmth at any time. If you are out in the 3/2 and suddenly realize "Hey I should have put on the 5/4" just grab the drysuit and throw it on top of your 3/2. I see everyone wearing incredibly thick boots and incredibly thick gloves, and all I ever use are 2mm gloves and socks. Weird. I will come in every 30-60 minutes and land the kite to get the circulation back into my hands. I think most of the time people get cold hands from lack of circulation. We are gripping that bar and that cuts off blood to the hands. Can't really quit gripping the bar, so you have to come in and land, then the blood gets back into the hands. I don't like anything thicker than 2 or 3mm gloves because the thicker the gloves, the more work you do gripping the bar and eventually your forearms fail. In thick gloves I can go out for 2 or 3 hours then my grip is finished. With 2mm gloves I can kite 8 hours in 32F just keep coming in to get the circulation going in the hands again. I have a tiny neoprene cap much more stylish than the hood. I switch to the hood right around 35F/2C. In 70F I am either in the 3/2 or a shorty, pretty hard core to be in board shorts in 70F that's awful cold to be out all day.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Sun May 23, 2021 3:45 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:59 am

On something like my seventh year in a merino lined Patagonia. Will get their R4 suit again as soon as this one craps out.

I’m not much for the extra gloves and warm drinks, but find layering a merino or polypropylene base layer drops your wetsuit to another temp level.

I’m never cold.

Never heard of wearing a base layer under neoprene, though I used to be a back country skier and am familiar with the concept. Did you just wear a long sleeve under a wetsuit?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Sun May 23, 2021 3:47 am

Onda wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 11:42 am
Here in DE / NL it gets pretty cold in winter. On the other hand, winter is the best time of the year for wave kiting (strong consistent wind, large waves). Hence, you have to dress properly :lol:
My current winter wetsuit is the Xcel Infinity Ltd 5/4 mm with the "Radiant Rebound" material for most of the suit. I have to admit that this suit / material is the warmest I have yet experienced. At the same time it is very easy to put on / off (the inner material is rather slick and slippery, very comfortable) and although it is a backzip almost no water enters the suit (which was surprising to me, being used to chest zips for many years).
With a 1 mm neoprene long-sleeve top beneath I can comortably go out for 2 hours in 5 °C water and 5 °C air temperature.
I had a 2 mm neoprene hoodie (super warm!) but I prefer to have nothing on top of my wetsuit. A hoodie has quite a wide cut and is very loose fit. Such a hoodie can become a dangerous mess when you get into trouble from e.g. a looping kite. The hood for example can get washed over your face and block your view and/or nose mouth. Not good.
I’ve honestly loved my Xcel 5/4. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I wear it when everyone is wearing 6/5s or dry suits. Is xcel just really warm??

Mines got a lot of holes and patches in it at this point, so I’ve got to start thinking about a replacement in future seasons.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Sun May 23, 2021 4:00 am

edt wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:47 pm
holy moly man those 6mm boots plus socks and incredibly thick gloves. I will go with 2mm gloves and 2mm neoprene socks, down to 32F 0C. But at 32F I will wear first layer underarmor, second layer 3/2 wetsuit, third layer fleece, fourth layer drysuit. In cold temperatures I always wear a wetsuit under the drysuit so if the drysuit gets a hole, I still have thermal protection, and this gives me confidence to get out from shore and do some tricks. I used to use a 5/4 and neoprene jacket but really love the drysuit because it gives you instant warmth at any time. If you are out in the 3/2 and suddenly realize "Hey I should have put on the 5/4" just grab the drysuit and throw it on top of your 3/2. I see everyone wearing incredibly thick boots and incredibly thick gloves, and all I ever use are 2mm gloves and socks. Weird. I will come in every 30-60 minutes and land the kite to get the circulation back into my hands. I think most of the time people get cold hands from lack of circulation. We are gripping that bar and that cuts off blood to the hands. Can't really quit gripping the bar, so you have to come in and land, then the blood gets back into the hands. I don't like anything thicker than 2 or 3mm gloves because the thicker the gloves, the more work you do gripping the bar and eventually your forearms fail. In thick gloves I can go out for 2 or 3 hours then my grip is finished. With 2mm gloves I can kite 8 hours in 32F just keep coming in to get the circulation going in the hands again. I have a tiny neoprene cap much more stylish than the hood. I switch to the hood right around 35F/2C. In 70F I am either in the 3/2 or a shorty, pretty hard core to be in board shorts in 70F that's awful cold to be out all day.
Solite makes boots that feel thinner than they are. The NP gloves are amazing because they have really wide wrists that don’t cut off your circulation or affect your grip. They are 5mm globes, but I don’t really take them out till there is snow on the ground and ice in the water. Every once and a while the wind chill is so high that I need them to keep warm, otherwise the 5/4 has been thick enough for all my needs. Never thought I needed a dry suit, felt like they were cumbersome for riding and just for getting into and lot of? Am I missing out?

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 am

bkkite wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:45 am
jumptheshark wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:59 am

I’m never cold.

Never heard of wearing a base layer under neoprene, though I used to be a back country skier and am familiar with the concept. Did you just wear a long sleeve under a wetsuit?
Base layer is super useful to me.Inside the 5/4 hooded Drylock Xcel, i wear when super cold conditions like snow on the ground, 2 C° air and water
normal skisocks under the 7mm! boots and long merino pants!. Upper body : Merino or 1mm neoprene tanktop or PP Top with hood. So together with the hooded wetsuit a double hood! but that is not often. 3 mm Ripcurl gloves ( often glued)
The merino (ski) base layer with skisocks and crocs for walking/ standing on frozen ground is very helpful and turns a good 5/4 into a 6/5 :bye:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun May 23, 2021 12:15 pm

It’s fairly temperate where I ride and I just use neoprene and thermal rash vests and leggings, marigolds. However I have used the Canadian trick of keeping a flask of warm water to poor into your wet suit and gloves before you packdown. Not sure it would be wise to use it as a session extender but it did make me feel better packing the gear away.

Return to “Videos”