Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stranded Kite Rescue

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Playa Malvin in downtown Montevideo.
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Style: With a smile on my face
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None at this time

Stranded Kite Rescue

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 am

Hello Forum Friends,

I recently rescued my friends kite during a kite session and happened to have my GoPro filming when I did so.

I would be very interested to hear what people’s thoughts are on how I grabbed it, in the heat of the moment, and also what the best method would be for safely rescuing a kite.

I know I made a bunch of mistakes so please let me know your thoughts. I’d like to learn as I’m sure others would as well. Please feel free to leave me a comment here, or directly in the comments on YouTube.

Many thanks,

Nick

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Stranded Kite Rescue

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 am

Hi Nick,

Thx for sharing your video.

You make things really complicated.

All kite rescues I and all others I regularly see on my spots will approach the kite, not the bar.

Two potential big problems I see at your approach:

1. I would never hook myself into a bar from a dropped kite, which has the potential of death looping.

2. I would never release my kite and then get to the other kite on one line…big risk of more tangles.

So, I would carefully approach the kite from the side, grab the tip, and drag towards the beach.
I would slowly move myself towards the center of the kite, while making sure the kite lays on its back.
Now I could even get more speed and ride the kite towards the beach, while the var drags behind.

You will have your kite still up, and are away from the lines of the other.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 2):
Kiteboarding Uruguay (Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:31 am) • andrzej351 (Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:48 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Playa Malvin in downtown Montevideo.
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Style: With a smile on my face
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None at this time

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:30 am

Hey Toby,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
In hindsight, I absolutely agree with you’re comments. It’s amazing what you do in the moment compared to what you should do when thinking about or reviewing a situation after the fact. Fortunately, kiters and kites all ended up safe and, hopefully, you’re feedback helps prevent others from making the same mistakes that I did.

Cheers,

Nick
These users thanked the author Kiteboarding Uruguay for the post:
Toby (Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sun » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Have not watched your video, but agree 100% with everything Toby said. Never bother with the bar and lines, just grab the kite. Flip kite on its back and carry it like you would on land. Only big risk is snagging objects or seaweed with the bar dragging.

This is of course after making 100% sure the kiter is OK. Equipment is a tertiary concern after your safety and the safety of others.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post (total 2):
Toby (Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 pm) • Kiteboarding Uruguay (Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:12 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Yes, Kiter first!

E.g. the sad story about the missing Kiter lady in Argentina…

Return to “Videos”