Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Roatan Honduras - quick trip

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Roatan Honduras - quick trip

Postby bkkite » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Will do a full video on the spot with tips for kiting, but here's a quick recap of my short trip there at the beginning of 2020... had no idea what was in store for us upon my return!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Roatan Honduras - quick trip

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Sweet!
Looking forward to the full video 👍🏻

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks, just recorded the audio this morning, so hopefully can edit this week. Beautiful destinations like this are what got me sold on trying foiling!!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Roatan is a great destination. Chris is super friendly and accommodating. The water out front of the lodge isn't the picturesque flat, but you can either kite upwind for about 15min or get them to take you around the corner to a couple amazing flatwater spots.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:23 pm

Blackened wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 pm
Roatan is a great destination. Chris is super friendly and accommodating. The water out front of the lodge isn't the picturesque flat, but you can either kite upwind for about 15min or get them to take you around the corner to a couple amazing flatwater spots.
Don't think I met Chris, I think a german guy showed up to give us lessons ( can't remember his name).

Where is the upwind spot from camp bay?

I rode a lot more on the other side of the island, near Fort Morgan Cay. Is that what you're talking about? I'll do a follow-up video to this, and break down the different spots for people.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:49 am

bkkite wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:23 pm

Don't think I met Chris, I think a german guy showed up to give us lessons ( can't remember his name).

I rode a lot more on the other side of the island, near Fort Morgan Cay. Is that what you're talking about? I'll do a follow-up video to this, and break down the different spots for people.
Chris Berg. He's the owner.

I just went up to Alligartor Nose. The water is a bit more sheltered and shallow (little less than knee deep), which turns it into butter flat goodness. It's about 100m wide and reasonably long. The only downside is it's mangroves on one side. I don't have any photos, but my Strava session shows the area. It actually took about 45min upwind to get there and 10min home. You can pay them to take you up there by boat.

Edit:
Can't get the image to upload for some reason, but it's just around the corner in front of the mangrove area between Roatan and Isla Santa Elena. Same wind as Camp Bay beach, just further east.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Blackened wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:49 am
bkkite wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:23 pm

Chris Berg. He's the owner.

I just went up to Alligartor Nose. The water is a bit more sheltered and shallow (little less than knee deep), which turns it into butter flat goodness. It's about 100m wide and reasonably long. The only downside is it's mangroves on one side. I don't have any photos, but my Strava session shows the area. It actually took about 45min upwind to get there and 10min home. You can pay them to take you up there by boat.

Edit:
Can't get the image to upload for some reason, but it's just around the corner in front of the mangrove area between Roatan and Isla Santa Elena. Same wind as Camp Bay beach, just further east.
Very cool, I didn’t realize there were other spots on that side.

I took the boat ride down through the mangroves and over to the other side where Careening Cay and Fort Morgan Cay are. If they got wind, it was in the morning, and afternoons tended to be stronger on the Camp Bay side. Either way, there was a good flat water spot by Careening Cay, and the foiling in Port Royal was glorious!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:18 pm

You would've gone right be it on your trip through the groves.

I was the only one there most of the time, so I didn't want to pay for the trip over the other side by myself. I just lent a kite to one of the kids working for Chris and we kited upwind. In retrospect, it wasn't the best idea as they're not super careful. He almost put it in the mangroves a few times doing tricks too close to them. Better than kiting alone though. Arguably better than kiting by myself in front of the camp with the "rescue boat" playing on his phone in a hammock. Pretty much forced Chris to come kiting with me every evening after that :).

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Blackened wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:18 pm
You would've gone right be it on your trip through the groves.

I was the only one there most of the time, so I didn't want to pay for the trip over the other side by myself. I just lent a kite to one of the kids working for Chris and we kited upwind. In retrospect, it wasn't the best idea as they're not super careful. He almost put it in the mangroves a few times doing tricks too close to them. Better than kiting alone though. Arguably better than kiting by myself in front of the camp with the "rescue boat" playing on his phone in a hammock. Pretty much forced Chris to come kiting with me every evening after that :).
Oh, thats interesting, there where lots of spots down that way, I never considered trying out there. I'll definitely have go back, there's so much to explore.

Fair point on not wanting to ride alone...

Also fair point on the team working for Chris, we had an issue where my friend who was just starting to ride up wind got put on a Core GTS...that was deflating as he rode. No one really noticed when he started to have issues, so I had to go flag someone down.

Return to “Videos”