Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where is the best place that you have kiteboarded?

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where is the best place that you have kiteboarded?

Postby Eduardo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 am

My personal favorite place has changed as my kiting style and non-kiting preferences have changed. When I was an early kiter chasing big air, I would go anywhere for strong reliable wind and did not care about anything else. Then the best was Maui, Aruba, Costa Rica, ...Then I started to also value other things to do in kite trips and got married and travel with wife, and then like waves, add foiling, and ...

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Playa Malvin in downtown Montevideo.
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Style: With a smile on my face
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None at this time

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:07 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:02 pm
Cool. Cabarete is really nice when the wind is strong - unfortunately that doesn't happen that often. If the wind had been better I would have gone back every year.

Went on a "kite safari" in Zanzibar going between islands and sandbars. Not sure if that could ever be beaten - certainly not for flat water.

Western Cape and Cumbuco and north the two best areas I have been to.
We had good wind in Cabarete most days, but not all day like in Northern Brazil. For me Cumbuco is nice but if you head further along the coast you can find some absolute gems with far fewer kiters.

Would love to kite the Cape, one day...!
Last edited by Kiteboarding Uruguay on Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:10 am

Toby wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm
Cabarete is really nice.

But I prefer Cumbuco, Brazil.

Egypt out on the islands is amazing too.
One place I want to kite in my dreams is Los Roques...Venezuela.
Cabarete was great, but the North of Brazil has so much more to offer. Cumbuco is nice but if you explore there are better places further up the coast.

I went to Dahab back in the days before kiteboarding was a thing, would love to go back with my gear....

Agreed on Los Roques, it's absolutely on my bucket list. Maybe I'll go once they sort their politics :o

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 am

Eduardo wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 am
My personal favorite place has changed as my kiting style and non-kiting preferences have changed. When I was an early kiter chasing big air, I would go anywhere for strong reliable wind and did not care about anything else. Then the best was Maui, Aruba, Costa Rica, ...Then I started to also value other things to do in kite trips and got married and travel with wife, and then like waves, add foiling, and ...
Interesting to hear you list Costa Rica. How is the kite scene there and when is it windy?

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:13 am

StephanLo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 pm
I really could return to Hikkaduwa beach in Sri Lanka. Since the beach was so incredibly long and the atmosphere was enormously relaxing and meditative. And everything was so colorful. I just surfed, though, and never kitesurfed. Would be exciting to go there for kitesurfing next time.
Being based in Uruguay, it means everywhere is a long flight away. I'd love to kite in Asia but it would mean trying to take a month off of work to really experience it!

Maybe one day!!! :D :D

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm

yes,

not only Viganj in Croatia, ie this spot:

viewtopic.php?t=2411419&p=1151769

Viganj is not my cup of tea. better in Neretva river mouth. but, Viganj will get more popular due to new built bridge from mailand to Peljesac peninsula. very popular with wind surfing schools, so if keen to kite with 100-200 ws, all good.

when in the EU, Im doing other stuff than kiting.

Nothing compares to Australia where I live tho. Safety Bay is World class, a 2mins ride to penguin island and watch sea lions while kiting. All thank to a constant seabreeze, known as Fremantle Doctor. Deserted beaches, similar to Brasil.

So the question is really on which continent the place is.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 pm

michigan. no alligators or sharks, just fish and birds.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Kiteboarding Uruguay wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 am
Eduardo wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 am
Interesting to hear you list Costa Rica. How is the kite scene there and when is it windy?
Costa Rica season is November/December to April...if I remember correctly. Last time I went (Playa Copal) is over 15 years ago so no clue how the development has been since then.

My personal favorite is Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil.
These users thanked the author nherbold for the post:
Kiteboarding Uruguay (Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:14 pm

POA! Had a bucket list downwinder there last June. Every bit as good as every awesome video I had seen from there.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:20 am

All of my favorite locations are snowkiting spots in the mountains. My favorite water spot is OBX.

Return to “Videos”