Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning the Foot Off

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Playa Malvin in downtown Montevideo.
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Style: With a smile on my face
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None at this time

Learning the Foot Off

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Hello forum friends,

Another short video of me trying to progress down here in Uruguay.

Please take a look if you're interested.

Cheers,

Nick

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Learning the Foot Off

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:40 pm

It’s called OneFoot 😉

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: We are blessed with some great beaches here in Uruguay and, on occasion, some pretty epic conditions as well.
I enjoy kiteboarding anywhere I can in Uruguay be that in Montevideo, or at one of the many beaches, rivers or Laguna's further outside the city.
I've also been lucky enough to kite the North Coast of Brasil, Cabarete and Paracas in Peru.
Gear: We have a great Ozone dealer here in Montevideo who gives excellent customer service, kite repairs and payment plans. So, of course I have a bunch of Ozone Kites. 3 Edges of different sizes and an Enduro. My board is also Ozone.

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:40 pm
It’s called OneFoot 😉
Hey Toby,

I know you (literally) wrote the dictionary on these types of tricks, but I think it might also depend on where you come from or, possibly, how it gets translated into different languages.

:D :D :D

Thanks for the comment!

All the best,

Nick

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi Nick,

I didn't event those names...they come from those who invented it.
I only invented one element, the No Handed OneFoot Spin, which I don't give a name.
All other tricks are combinations of elements.

So I use their names.
Foot Off was never used from what I now...only OneFoot and Boardoff.

But this thing with names is just without organisation...it's chaos. Many call a Backroll when it is a back rotation...a Tic Tac is a OneFoot up and down, not a Tail/Nose Spin they call it today (again, I didn't name those tricks from back then).

And I don't use new names for tricks I land first, since I will never know what it is...it's just too many. I only use what they used back then for the trick elements (Like Deadman or King Deadman (which is not a Deadman Boardoff they call it in events now...)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:32 am

Just got banned on Facebook for 30 days, for replying to this post in the Kiteboarding group...

Someone said "Foot outs are easy if you're young, skinny, and flexible".

I replied "just get a longer board. 170cm is easy to do foot outs even if you're old, fat, and rigid as a board".

Bullying and harassment, apparently. I think I'm done with Facebook.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:21 am

Guess I need to ban you too for that comment ☺️

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:06 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:21 am
Guess I need to ban you too for that comment ☺️
That would only be fair :lol:

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:48 am

Hey Toby!

Thanks for taking the time to send such a detailed reply, you’re absolutely right. Hopefully, you didn’t take my last comment the wrong way, I was being genuine in terms of acknowledging your experience with different trick names. My next video (I think) will be about a double back roll where the first rotation is inverted and the second no and I finish the trick with a downloop to tell me ride away on landing. The description is a mouthful 😂😂 do you know if that trick has a shorter name?

Again, thanks for the feedback previously and for creating such an awesome place for viewing and sharing kite content.

Cheers, Nick
Toby wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 pm
Hi Nick,

I didn't event those names...they come from those who invented it.
I only invented one element, the No Handed OneFoot Spin, which I don't give a name.
All other tricks are combinations of elements.

So I use their names.
Foot Off was never used from what I now...only OneFoot and Boardoff.

But this thing with names is just without organisation...it's chaos. Many call a Backroll when it is a back rotation...a Tic Tac is a OneFoot up and down, not a Tail/Nose Spin they call it today (again, I didn't name those tricks from back then).

And I don't use new names for tricks I land first, since I will never know what it is...it's just too many. I only use what they used back then for the trick elements (Like Deadman or King Deadman (which is not a Deadman Boardoff they call it in events now...)

Kiteboarding Uruguay
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteboarding Uruguay » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:54 am

Dude, sorry to hear that, that sucks!

Facebook clearly looked at my profile and went “old ✅, fat ✅, rigid as a board ✅” and decided you were picking out just 3 of my many flaws. 😂😂😂

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to watch the video and for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it, even if Mark Zuckerberg and his minions didn’t!!
Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:32 am
Just got banned on Facebook for 30 days, for replying to this post in the Kiteboarding group...

Someone said "Foot outs are easy if you're young, skinny, and flexible".

I replied "just get a longer board. 170cm is easy to do foot outs even if you're old, fat, and rigid as a board".

Bullying and harassment, apparently. I think I'm done with Facebook.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Kiteboarding Uruguay wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:48 am
Hey Toby!

Thanks for taking the time to send such a detailed reply, you’re absolutely right. Hopefully, you didn’t take my last comment the wrong way, I was being genuine in terms of acknowledging your experience with different trick names. My next video (I think) will be about a double back roll where the first rotation is inverted and the second no and I finish the trick with a downloop to tell me ride away on landing. The description is a mouthful 😂😂 do you know if that trick has a shorter name?

Again, thanks for the feedback previously and for creating such an awesome place for viewing and sharing kite content.

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick,

not that I know of.
But, I am sure it is a double rotation...not Backroll :D
They all write it wrong. I know, because many years ago I was in doubt too, and ask on the forum, and I was explained by english natives that a Backroll is more a real roll, where the board is a bit higher (like the first low rotation with a forward moving kite we all do in the beginning).
And rotation is where you use the kite to jump and rotate on the vertical axis.
Then going inverted is a a inverted rotation (front or back).

But, there is a Stiffy ! So Inverted got called Stiffy when you stretch yourself all the way.

What you describe I do as Front...and I call it Front 720 Stiffy Tail Grab Downloop with grabbing the Tail in this video.

Looking forward to see yours, since I found the Back rotation with Stiffy a bit tougher to make it look nice. A front rotation with Stiffy is more stylish.
But you might just go inverted without being stretched all the way.

So, post it and let me see ! :thumb:

Return to “Videos”