Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2022 North Orbit Review

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

2022 North Orbit Review

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2022 North Orbit Review

Postby Havre » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Thanks.

This is why I like Ozone's way of doing it better. I might be wrong, but the way they are presenting the 2022 it is basically a kite they don't know how to sell, but they have to sell it. 17% lighter bladder is good of course, but if you are on the 2021 why would you replace that for 17% lighter bladder (some other tweaks as well, but quite telling that the first thing that is mentioned is the 17% lighter bladder)?

Update kites when you actually have something to update (even if the new Edge sounds like the same kind of thing - Ozone not really knowing what they will do with the kite to actually update it). Not a problem if you are looking to buy new of course, but unfortunately I do believe it hurts second hand value for those with older models - even if the new one is hardly updating much at all.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Speaking to North dealer few weeks ago he mentioned that North for ‘22 will have number of small incremental changes that could add up to some recognizable improvement. I’m in marked for new quiver and I’m considering Orbit 8m, and Reach 10/13m with Reedin bar

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Kind of what they have to say - and since North (as most brands) are committed to yearly models it is the way it goes.

I was hoping to find some cheap 2021 models, but with the lack of production capacity (and or higher demand) it seems like shops are comfortable with not giving big discounts on "old" models as they will sell anyway. For me it was in the end cheaper to pre-order Edge v11 than getting 2021 Orbits. Nothing to suggest the Edge v11 will be a revolution either vs. the V10, but it felt a bit odd, since I'm more "old school" big air anyway, to pay more for a 2021 model than to pre-order a new one (not that I care too much about models like that, but for resell value it matters).

Not sure what I would have done if the Orbit 2022 "felt" like a better upgrade vs. the 2021. I really do like the idea of the Orbit - being a good big air kite with better manoeuvrability than the Edge, Rebel etc.

Unfortunately, I had to pull the trigger because of deadlines from Ozone, otherwise I definitely would have monitored the Orbit 2021 on Black Friday / Black Week. To me that sounds like a better buy than getting the 2022 full price (not that I can really say of course - purely based on what I'm reading and reviews like that).

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:53 pm

How much discount did you get on pre-order? My dealer is giving easily 20% discount on 2022 gear without much negotiations.
I’m keen to try orbit vs XR exactly due to speed as I’m missing bar with low V which is safer than high Y IMHO.

I like Rebel a lot too but after what I saw and heard in Soma bay about DT 2021 I can’t risk injuring myself because someone is cutting corners. I have seen some many torn kites and guess what brand they were? Seen a few Core kites torn as well but these were school kites and equally popular to DT on spot.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:48 pm

I always found it difficult to get discounts on new North equipment.

I'm not sure how much I would get in the end on the Edge v11 as they themselves do not know the final prices yet, but for the kites I'm buying it was almost 10% cheaper for the Edge than the cheapest I could find the Orbit 2021 (obviously there might be cheaper options I don't know about or in the case of South Africa can't get to).

Also it is better of course to buy from a local shop. Not only because they are close, but also because of consumer protection laws in Norway are strict. In case something happens.

Return to “Videos”