Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitemare: anchored self launch goes wrong

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitemare: anchored self launch goes wrong

Postby bkkite » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Been launching at this spot for a while... and my buddy swears his anchor has never popped out like this.... Lesson learned, fortnately no one hurt or pissed off :)

These users thanked the author bkkite for the post (total 2):
rnelias (Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:37 pm) • Digdawg (Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:02 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Kitemare: anchored self launch goes wrong

Postby knotwindy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Also, as you walk back towards the kite have one of the front lines lightly in your hand so if the kite ‘launches’ you can depower it onto that one line very quickly?
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
Topaz (Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:12 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:16 pm
Also, as you walk back towards the kite have one of the front lines lightly in your hand so if the kite ‘launches’ you can depower it onto that one line very quickly?
Great tip. I'll definitely do a follow-up video at some point mentioning it. In this particular situation, I fell into a deep channel in the marsh (3-4ft deep), and had a hard time getting my leg out, so it took me quite a bit longer to get to the anchor than usual. I also couldn't chase the kite through the marsh because of those channels, didn't want to break my leg or blow out my knee.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:17 pm

i was hoping for some video of a guy running after his kite in the swamp. Keep that camera running!

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:36 pm

not the safest method but I had to learn how to self launch already hooked (without anchoring the kite).

In an open area surrounded by grass or sand, I think it's not as dangerous as doing the process using anchoring points.

In my case, I had to learn after switching to rope slider spreaderbar. I usually have a bunch of solo foil sessions here where I live, thus, the wind is not so strong and the kite is usually smaller (but I've already self launched bigger kites in stronger winds too).

You just have to make sure that all lines are completely untangle and correctly attached and, of course, keep a hand in the QR while "unleashing the beast" :D

Any "self" procedure is potentially dangerous in this sport. Great vid and advices ;)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 pm

rnelias wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:36 pm
not the safest method but I had to learn how to self launch already hooked (without anchoring the kite).

In an open area surrounded by grass or sand, I think it's not as dangerous as doing the process using anchoring points.

In my case, I had to learn after switching to rope slider spreaderbar. I usually have a bunch of solo foil session here where I live, thus, the wind is not so strong and the kite is usually smaller (but I've already self launched bigger kites in stronger winds too).

You just have to make sure that all lines are completely untangle and correctly attached and, of course, keep a hand in the QR while "unleashing the beast" :D

Any "self" procedure is potentially dangerous in this sport. Great vid and advices ;)
Yep, that's definitely an option, and frankly one I should have probably used in this situation since I knew it was gusty :)

Agreed, all of these self launch options aren't great, but I've been able to kite in a lot more spots because of them. Sharing my mistakes already helped me a pick up a few new tips, and hopefully it helps others avoid them!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:31 pm

I much prefer to use weights such as sand bags or water containers rather than screw in anchors. However, if you are forced to use a screw in poor ground use 2. One for the chicken loop/strap and one for the flag line. Then if the kite falls back in a lull it can be rigged so that if the kite launches and pulls out the first it should flag to the second screw which hopefully can cope with the residual pull. Hind sight is a wonderful thing etc………….

PS Nice vid. A wire saw and 2 lengths of rope is a possible cheap alternative to cut a branch if a line can be thrown over it!
[ Suffering from board brain syndrome and cabin fever - doing COVID-19 isolation…………..]
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
mountain_lake (Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:59 pm

Gusts and lulls -- the worst time to tether launch or land.

You're far better off IMO to "drag" self launch in those conditions, as you can get the kite onto a wingtip and depowered like a tether launch but -- you're still in control, and can release the kite to safety should it go sideways.

I personally recommend if you have the bullshit that is single front line safety, to rig the kite so that whatever side you're forced to launch from is the side the kite will come down on the single front line. I've had kites released on one side, fly up and over to the other, before coming to rest in the "safe" position on the ground.

Of course, I can never remember which side is which :roll:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 pm

rnelias wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:36 pm
after switching to rope slider
This is why I think the Dynabar is so much better. Just wish the spreader bar pads would last more than a season :(

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:59 pm
Gusts and lulls -- the worst time to tether launch or land.

You're far better off IMO to "drag" self launch in those conditions, as you can get the kite onto a wingtip and depowered like a tether launch but -- you're still in control, and can release the kite to safety should it go sideways.

I personally recommend if you have the bullshit that is single front line safety, to rig the kite so that whatever side you're forced to launch from is the side the kite will come down on the single front line. I've had kites released on one side, fly up and over to the other, before coming to rest in the "safe" position on the ground.

Of course, I can never remember which side is which :roll:
Yeah, thats my conclusion too, I would drag self launch in these conditions the next time. With the marsh being relatively soft, its not too much wear and tear on the kite, and it helps you avoid the risk of the lulls and gusts.

Return to “Videos”