Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

6 Foil Foot Switch Exercises

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

6 Foil Foot Switch Exercises

Postby bkkite » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:17 pm

In my stubborn progression to get better at foot switch exercises, I grabbed the most interesting ones from Kitesurf College and Progression and tried them out on the water

These users thanked the author bkkite for the post (total 3):
a99 (Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:58 pm) • daffes (Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:54 pm) • grigorib (Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

daffes
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Brasilia
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Freeride twintip and hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Neo and Mono
Been thanked: 0

Re: 6 Foil Foot Switch Exercises

Postby daffes » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Nice, I study from the same sources, cool to see your process applying it. It surprised me your on foil foot swap went well after your taxi foot swap didn't, looks like the exercises in between really helped. I have been trying on taxing and a few went well, haven't tried on the foil yet, and I haven't tried the ski stance and foot together drills yet.

For me, what seems to be working best is
1) pre-set the upper body pointing to the front of the board, to minimize movement after the swap
2) have a shallower stance pre-swap, I set up my mast far ahead and the foot straps far behind
3) Using lift from the kite
4) I agree the land drills really helped, I think putting the front foot weight from toes to heel as you bring the back foot to the front also helps keeping the pressure point balanced on the board

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Re: 6 Foil Foot Switch Exercises

Postby bkkite » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:46 pm

Haha, i don't know why the taxi foot swaps never really worked for me. I rode a surfboard before foiling and had already learned to foot swap. The exercises definitely helped build muscle memory and get used tot he balance.

I think the lift from the kite is the part that I'm doing the least well. I'm not moving the kite enough to get enough lift. I was out yesterday doing the back leg lifts, and thats helping.

Return to “Videos”