Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Preventing accidental Chicken loop release

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Preventing accidental Chicken loop release

Postby bkkite » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:04 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:36 pm
bkkite wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:20 pm
Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:27 pm
Cool. Well made video!

My guess is that you got to be well overpowered not to be able to just let go of the bar and leave the kite in the water while setting up again (assuming you are not in heavy waves, shore break or anything like that).
Yeah, here's the last video, but I was lit and having a hard time holding on to the bar, and there was a boat downwind, so I just released. I'd never been in the situation before, so all the comments and feedback on that video really helped.
Probably a good choice. You did hold on to the bar for quite awhile there - so I think you would have been fine if you had just waited 2s holding on to the chicken loop after letting go of the bar. But I don't know. Others might have a better informed view than me.

Something similar happened to me once. I held on to the bar quite long as well before my brain started working. Then it felt like I had a lot of powered with the bar pulled in, but in reality with the bar pushed out I wouldn't have had enough to even easily water start.
Yeah, after doing the practice run a few times, I think I would hold on to the chicken loop next time and depower to see if I can rehook. This one caught me by surprise and since there was a boat downwind I just took the conservative route and self rescued. I was close to shore, so I knew I could reset my lines quick and get back on the water. This would have been a lot trickier if I was much further out.

Return to “Videos”