Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Duotone Wing

Forum for wing surfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Duotone Wing

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm

This boom looks like it might be unchanged - being 115 to 175cm range. A 141 to 201cm boom will cover 4m to 7m Echo Wing. I hope they mould a plug on SUP blade for the boom. Sizes 2.6m, 3.3m, 4, 5, 6, 7m.

A couple of boomless wings in the background.

https://www.h2o-sports.co.uk/products/4 ... -echo-2020

dangavere
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: The sandy ones
Style: Wave, Wing Foil, Whitewater SUP
Gear: Fanatic Duotone
Brand Affiliation: Fanatic and Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby dangavere » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:09 pm

I recognise the problem.
What I did was put the loop through the boom and hook it into place - then pass the Velcro through the loop and close the Velcro overlaps. Better to do it before attaching the boom to the leading edge.
May I suggest 2 things.

1: Connect the blue loop string to the boom first pull it tight to make sure it slips all the way under the notch in the plastic on the boom end and then secure the velcro through the loop.

2. When securing the velcro you need to have more overlap that is why you're coming up short after second folding of the velcro. Please make first fold of velcro is at the same line of the trailing edge so that that "hook" surface is complete in contact with the full "loop" surface of the opposing velcro side. Your first fold is about 1.5 inches short of a complete fold over which is the proper way to secure the boom end.
Hope that helps.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:35 pm

Thanks Dan for your post. What you suggest above is what I do now because putting the loop on the boom hook was a real pain. But really, having to disconnect one end of the loop to connect the other can't be the best solution.. I trust Duotone is going to provide an easier connection system in the future.

And on another matter, I hope the Duotone Echo is more stable than the current Duotone wings.. my existing wings jump around a lot when loosely held (depowered).

:roll: CG

dangavere
Rare Poster

Postby dangavere » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 pm

Yes, this is the first version. The Echo will be much better and will come with a longer boom string attachment. It will be more stable but the inflatable center strut will always be more behaved because the middle strut is like a fin and keeps the wings straight and level which is great for wave and downwind riding but also suffers in many other areas. We can't have everything with one design... I still prefer the boom myself but I live in the Gorge and really enjoy the one-handed riding, jumping and upwind abilities which I believe the boom design is the best for.

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteykitekite » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:51 am

How's the down haul?

Is this a windsurfing forum too?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:04 am

dangavere wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 pm
Yes, this is the first version. The Echo will be much better and will come with a longer boom string attachment. It will be more stable but the inflatable centre strut will always be more behaved because the middle strut is like a fin and keeps the wings straight and level which is great for wave and downwind riding but also suffers in many other areas. We can't have everything with one design... I still prefer the boom myself but I live in the Gorge and really enjoy the one-handed riding, jumping and upwind abilities which I believe the boom design is the best for.
But it would be possible to have a vertical web joining the centreline of the canopy to the boom - in the same way that there is a web above the F-one Swing wing or the Boardriding Maui Wing strut to join the centre strut to the canopy. I'm guessing that was tried, but there has to be (as you say) a trade off that they think makes this design offer a big enough advantage when using wind power.
It does seem to me that one advantage of a boom that hasn't been exploited yet is to have a moulded SUP blade (as an accessory) that you can carry in a mesh backpack and if something happens that requires you to paddle back, you can plug that onto the boom to make a paddle. I've tried that and it works, but the blade I used wasn't as efficient as a large SUP-design blade would be.

There is also the new Duotone inflatable centre-strutted design, which seems to have the web and presumably does what the F-One does. One thing that would be an added advantage for such a design would be the ability to hover above and be towed behind you on the leash.

dangavere
Rare Poster

Postby dangavere » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm

ronnie wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:04 am
dangavere wrote:
Yes, this is the first version. The Echo will be much better and will come with a longer boom string attachment. It will be more stable but the inflatable centre strut will always be more behaved because the middle strut is like a fin and keeps the wings straight and level which is great for wave and downwind riding but also suffers in many other areas. We can't have everything with one design... I still prefer the boom myself but I live in the Gorge and really enjoy the one-handed riding, jumping and upwind abilities which I believe the boom design is the best for.
But it would be possible to have a vertical web joining the centreline of the canopy to the boom - in the same way, that there is a web above the F-one Swing wing or the Boardriding Maui Wing strut to join the center strut to the canopy. I'm guessing that was tried, but there has to be (as you say) a trade-off that they think makes this design offer a big enough advantage when using wind power.
It does seem to me that one advantage of a boom that hasn't been exploited yet is to have a molded SUP blade (as an accessory) that you can carry in a mesh backpack and if something happens that requires you to paddle back, you can plug that onto the boom to make a paddle. I've tried that and it works, but the blade I used wasn't as efficient as a large SUP-design blade would be.

There is also the new Duotone inflatable center-strutted design, which seems to have the web and presumably does what the F-One does. One thing that would be an added advantage for such a design would be the ability to hover above and be towed behind you on the leash.
Yes they have tried many many different configurations. Ken Winner the designer is a smart guy that works and tests as much as anyone on the industry so I can assure you the designs will function well and be up to the typical Duotone Quality that we would expect from the top brand. From some loose market research, I have been told that Duotone sold more wings last year than all other mfg's combined. They have the patent on the boom design and some other aspect of the wings coming out in the future so I believe the Duotone foil wings will be setting the standard in the industry. Let's wait a year and see where we are? The future is looking bright and I have heard countless stories from "doubters" that tried it and found out they love the sport, from kiter's, to windsurfers, to Yoga instructors, to housewives and husbands...
The blade idea I believe is a good one however I must question if it would work on the smaller boards? I don't think it would. I am sure it would be great on boards that are big enough to paddle kneeling like 110+liters. Of course, it all depends on the size of the rider but most riders that get to the experienced level are looking for much smaller boards that will only allow you to paddle while in the prone position.

It may be like the dozens of people who approached me about putting a spare blade on the other end of a sup paddle 9 years ago (when I worked for Werner Paddles) so that you can easily paddle with 2 blades and not have to switch sides. That idea never really got any traction. It does, however, open up an opportunity for someone to develop such a product and sell it 3rd party.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:52 pm

dangavere wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm
ronnie wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:04 am
dangavere wrote:
But it would be possible to have a vertical web joining the centreline of the canopy to the boom - in the same way, that there is a web above the F-one Swing wing or the Boardriding Maui Wing strut to join the center strut to the canopy. I'm guessing that was tried, but there has to be (as you say) a trade-off that they think makes this design offer a big enough advantage when using wind power.
It does seem to me that one advantage of a boom that hasn't been exploited yet is to have a molded SUP blade (as an accessory) that you can carry in a mesh backpack and if something happens that requires you to paddle back, you can plug that onto the boom to make a paddle. I've tried that and it works, but the blade I used wasn't as efficient as a large SUP-design blade would be.

There is also the new Duotone inflatable center-strutted design, which seems to have the web and presumably does what the F-One does. One thing that would be an added advantage for such a design would be the ability to hover above and be towed behind you on the leash.
Yes they have tried many many different configurations. Ken Winner the designer is a smart guy that works and tests as much as anyone on the industry so I can assure you the designs will function well and be up to the typical Duotone Quality that we would expect from the top brand. From some loose market research, I have been told that Duotone sold more wings last year than all other mfg's combined. They have the patent on the boom design and some other aspect of the wings coming out in the future so I believe the Duotone foil wings will be setting the standard in the industry. Let's wait a year and see where we are? The future is looking bright and I have heard countless stories from "doubters" that tried it and found out they love the sport, from kiter's, to windsurfers, to Yoga instructors, to housewives and husbands...
The blade idea I believe is a good one however I must question if it would work on the smaller boards? I don't think it would. I am sure it would be great on boards that are big enough to paddle kneeling like 110+liters. Of course, it all depends on the size of the rider but most riders that get to the experienced level are looking for much smaller boards that will only allow you to paddle while in the prone position.

It may be like the dozens of people who approached me about putting a spare blade on the other end of a sup paddle 9 years ago (when I worked for Werner Paddles) so that you can easily paddle with 2 blades and not have to switch sides. That idea never really got any traction. It does, however, open up an opportunity for someone to develop such a product and sell it 3rd party.
I only tried the blade on the boom with a 105 litre 6' 8" board with a fin at the back - not with a board with a foil further forward. Guys are paddling a long way with very short SUP foil boards, so from a kneeling position and maybe with a nose fin, I would expect it can be done OK if you know how to paddle a short board. It's only intended for self-rescue.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:51 am
How's the down haul?

Is this a windsurfing forum too?
Have you seen this man ?
He might have changed his identity