Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Duotone Wing

Forum for wing surfers
Alvaro
Medium Poster

Re: The Duotone Wing

Postby Alvaro » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 am

Horst,
Can you waterstart your inflatable board with your foot in the front strap or you need to kneel every time?

Thank you

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 am
... I need 30+ knots to get up on the 3m.
In the last part with the 3 m I was on a monofoil, I am now sure that it easier to pump it up with the freedom of not having a stabi that blocks pitch movement.
When you are already up for pumping and foot switch are the only arguments for me to have a stabi, but to a big part as experiencing the gong wings aren't to well monofoil for their wingsizes. There are smaller wings as the Moses Onda with much much better pumping behaviour when used as monofoil.
Directly before the pictures with the 3 m² I used a 4 m² Proto with stabi and even if the Proto had a better glide ratio the stabi was it what felt terrible draggy when up and therefore also overpowered with high load on the arms, so I turned back, first dismounted the stabi then take the 3 m² and was happy with the change.

@Alvaro:
You mean waterstart windsurfer style:
No for me with a board that ports your weight 100 % no chance, tried it several times even overpowered. Your missing drift resistance, the fixed Mast to board conection as Windsurfer and most of all the chance to push the big fat as of the board a bit under the water as you can do with windsurfers. You need to process climbing on board, knee on board, take the wing, stand up and start which is not too compfortable in waves but thats how it is.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:30 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:04 am
I have now had two weekends of mucking around on the duotone 5m wing and it is a heap of fun. I have not as yet gybed, tacked or successfully ridden toeside. But I have been able to go upwind and ride the little lake waves downwind and get that wonderfully lift that a big foil wind can give.

I was expecting it to be a limiting experience compared to kiting and kitefoiling in general, but I have been surprised to find I have the same fun level. So much so, that I gave 20 knots of jumping wind to go batwing'ing instead.
Sat 6km, Sun 11km.

All I can say is expect a satisfying physical workout. Your arms and shoulders will be sore.

I was riding a Hover 150, AXIS 102 and the duotone 5m batwing.
Maybe you need an 8m
6FC24491-B5CA-40DF-904E-DF2319F23DBA.jpeg
8m Zeeko Wingfoil

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:41 pm

3InletsWindsports wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:30 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:04 am
I have now had two weekends of mucking around on the duotone 5m wing and it is a heap of fun. I have not as yet gybed, tacked or successfully ridden toeside. But I have been able to go upwind and ride the little lake waves downwind and get that wonderfully lift that a big foil wind can give.

I was expecting it to be a limiting experience compared to kiting and kitefoiling in general, but I have been surprised to find I have the same fun level. So much so, that I gave 20 knots of jumping wind to go batwing'ing instead.
Sat 6km, Sun 11km.

All I can say is expect a satisfying physical workout. Your arms and shoulders will be sore.

I was riding a Hover 150, AXIS 102 and the duotone 5m batwing.
Maybe you need an 8m
6FC24491-B5CA-40DF-904E-DF2319F23DBA.jpeg
That is big!!!

I grabbed a 7m Gong, but hopefully Duotone will come out with a 7m.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pierre.d » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Hello Sergio

How work the inflatable board?

Pierre

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:23 pm

I've tried prone paddling back against the wind towing the wing inflated, then found it easier with it deflated and rolled up.
The Duotone has the advantage of having an adjustable boom, so it seemed like it would be worth checking out attaching a paddle blade.
I wouldn't recommend using this one - which has a 28mm bore blade (it was too much work to detach it from the shaft) - it was also only about 50 to 65% as powerful as my 580 sq cm blade Fanatic carbon paddle.
The Duotone boom does the job OK, either kneeling or standing, and it floats - it may require someone to produce a blade for it as an optional accessory for self rescue.The Duotone boom is about 25mm internal dia., so a 26mm bore SUP blade would be ideal - to carry in a mesh backpack.
minowduotonemeshpuma.JPG
minow wallplug.JPG
Last edited by ronnie on Sun May 03, 2020 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author ronnie for the post:
bigtone667 (Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:54 pm

pierre.d wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:26 pm
How work the inflatable board?
As maybe also writen in the monofoil topic:
I am pretty happy with the inflatable 72 l mantafoil board. I hope to be able to improve it with a break away edge on the underside to better take of and it is even for me pretty small. But no problem with quality, stiffness, conection or anything else. Even managed to install a backstrap. But this is all about wing foiling with a kite it can be also nice but here it is a complete different topic to start with such high volume. As with the kitewing you have to climp it up which can be difficult the first tries.

@ronnie:
Nice had planed similar and already a paddle for it, but actually not yet sure if this combination makes sense for my small board.

@All
About the Duotone Wing
Especially for the Duotone with its great boom I would recommend to use a harness for all who want to go well powered for longer time. I tried it just one time and now sure will always use it from now on and also will rig much more powered in the future as with the harness obviously it is easy to handle much more power and save arm force for getting up and jumping.
For the first time I used an old light windsurf waist harness and a fat, stiff rope with a flexible pvc pipe around as you do for a cheap rope. Even with the bigger knots on the boom the disturbance is aceptable but for future will find a normal windsurf harness rope for sure to have the boom again more smove.
It was surprisingly easy to dirctly hook in and go nearly both hands off with the harness, as used from windsurfing.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:55 pm

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:09 pm

I recognise the problem.
What I did was put the loop through the boom and hook it into place - then pass the Velcro through the loop and close the Velcro overlaps. Better to do it before attaching the boom to the leading edge.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:43 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:09 pm

I recognise the problem.
What I did was put the loop through the boom and hook it into place - then pass the Velcro through the loop and close the Velcro overlaps. Better to do it before attaching the boom to the leading edge.

Exactly, just lock it with the velcro.

Not a very neat way it is made, if the idea is it should be easy to deattach.
If the idea is it should NEVER be able to come loose by itself on the water, it works just fine as is.

If only having one wing, it does not matter, as you just leave the boom attached, can be rolled in the bag like that, so I just do that :naughty:

Having several wing sizes for the boom, you need to de and re-attach often indeed.

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”