Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wingsurfing - Intel - forum topic?

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Old Flexfoil 9, Switch Element V4 11m, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m 2014, Nitro14m v6, Nitro9m v6 12mSwitch Legacy2
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints.

Re: Wingsurfing - Intel - forum topic?

Postby fluidity » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Why behind a boat scottnorby?
Isn't it easier to have your own control with the wing to speed up and slow down?

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SEATTLE WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Liquid Force WOW 12
Liquid Force Envy 9
Liquid Force Solo 15.5

Postby scottnorby » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:51 pm

If you know how to kitefoil you are fine
.....but yeah behind a boat is a much faster way to get a lot of time on the foil----without any concern for messing around with a wing and looking for wind etc.

Im not saying you can't....because you can learn to Wing even without prior foil experience.

Im just a believer that time on the foil/board comes much easier and faster with even a small boat

Also you can learn to rely on the energy of the boat wake if your boat makes a wake
You can even ride the wake of a boston whaler--- no wakesurf boat needed
When you get on foil with a wing.... and go thru waves or swells--- you will feel the energy better if youve ridden the wake of a boat

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby mike dubs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:15 am

I had no foiling background at all, just windsurfing and strapless kiting. Just committed myself. First 6 sessions tough as I was in chop, then started to get very short flights and each time I went out flights got longer. Took about 8 sessions, I’m on session 14 now, crash when I try and turn or I go too fast but that’ll improve soon too. It’s physically very demanding in the early stages so if ur unfit or overweight it might take u more sessions as you will burn out quickly to start with. Very addictive too, especially blasting fast in 12 knots when I wouldn’t have even looked to bother kiting.👍mike
These users thanked the author mike dubs for the post:
fluidity (Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:07 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Wingsurfing”