Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Possible to learn wingfoiling with pocket board or 60 litres board for 80kg person?

Forum for wing surfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Possible to learn wingfoiling with pocket board or 60 litres board for 80kg person?

Postby omg » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 am

I’m very good at kitefoiling, strapless surfboard rider and an ex-windsurfer, and I was wondering would it be possible to learn to wingfoil with a small board and would straps help in the process? My thinking is if you have your feet in the straps would it be possible to waterstart ie. get up from the water by the power of the wing and just start foiling? That’s obviously how it works with the kite with a pocket board but the power from the kite might be very different to wingfoil power?

Thanks!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Possible to learn wingfoiling with pocket board or 60 litres board for 80kg person?

Postby slowboat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 am

I would say it might be possible for some people but probably prohibitively difficult for most humans. I would strongly encourage you to try and borrow a big board for your first few sessions. I do think foot straps will help with low volume water starts.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
omg (Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Possible to learn wingfoiling with pocket board or 60 litres board for 80kg person?

Postby Foil » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:56 pm

slowboat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 am
I would say it might be possible for some people but probably prohibitively difficult for most humans. I would strongly encourage you to try and borrow a big board for your first few sessions. I do think foot straps will help with low volume water starts.
Ask Gunnar (gmb13) about the posibilitys,
he has been looking at the volume required to get "unstuck" and skill level required for different volumes is something he is well informed about,
he has done all the homework, and has tried many volumes/lengths/shapes, even had short fat(high volume) boards made for him as an experiment to see what would work in the smaller sizes,
I believe the "getting unstuck from the water surface" is the golden egg that many are trying to find.
there are not many others out there who spend so much time on the water like he does.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
omg (Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm

With kite, pocket board and 633 Moses Onda I'm immediately up and running. Hence I was thinking abt how different the power is from windwing compared to kite, ie. with wing do you need to be standing and able to pump to get on foil, or is it possible to get the power amount needed from the wing immediately when lying on your back in the water?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm

what do you think without powerstroke?

Try 4-5 m kite without moving...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm
what do you think without powerstroke?

Try 4-5 m kite without moving...
that made me relate that back to my windsurfing days,
waterstarting from under the sail, for a small wing it would have to be very windy for the lift to work, and how unstable would that make everything without the benefit of being plugged into the board, and being able to to use the board as a water brake whilst pulling up to get free of the water.
I am only guessing as I have not tried a wing foil, but have spent a lot of time watching and learning.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm

omg wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 am
I’m very good at kitefoiling, strapless surfboard rider and an ex-windsurfer, and I was wondering would it be possible to learn to wingfoil with a small board and would straps help in the process? My thinking is if you have your feet in the straps would it be possible to waterstart ie. get up from the water by the power of the wing and just start foiling? That’s obviously how it works with the kite with a pocket board but the power from the kite might be very different to wingfoil power?

Thanks!
With a lot of wind anything is possible. But I find a lot of people underestimate how difficult it is to keep the board under control under the water whilst you try to get the wing over your head to work. You will not be waterstarting with a wing like you will with a Kite.

60 Liters is enough for you to get going in good wind. I have a friend who straight away started to learn winging with his 5'3" 57L Indians Surffoil board. It took him 4 sessions and a lot of struggle. He is one of the best surfers I know.

Another thing you need to be aware of when learning with such a small board, is that you have no way to getting back upwind if the wind drops, as you cannot just stand or even kneel on the board if there is not a lot of power in the wing. So in that case, you will have to paddle back to your starting point.

I personally believe boards with at least your weight (kg) in volume or more make it very easy to lean in the beginning and give you a good margin for safety.

Basically I am saying, yes you can learn with 60L. It will be hard work with not guarantee of success. And if you try, do not bother under 20 knots.

I hope this helps.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
omg (Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm)

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

I'm curious are people learning with wings as small as the 633?

The few guys I see doing it here are using really huge wings.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:54 pm

It's doable on the bigger prone you have for sure, a strap will help also to stabilize the board under you. You'll just need a lot of wind to get it going. Here's the down side to learning on a small board like that, it'll flip over easily and the foil can pop or tear your wing. I've seen it happen a few times to first time riders. I use a big board and short mast to keep from that happening with my students. I also have foils with rounded or blunt tips so it's less likely to hurt the wing and when the wing is let go, it'll sit past the distance of the mast and foil in case the board happens to flip over. When I ride on my foils, I have an extension on my leash to keep the wing away from my foil in crashes. I would borrow a sup foil board for a day and then you'll get dialed and it'll be easier to go tot he smaller prone.
These users thanked the author slingshotucf for the post:
omg (Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:56 pm)

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:26 pm

Waterstart with 4.6 aprox 22 Liter Board

I suppose for learning this would not be possible

Return to “Wingsurfing”