Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Inflatable Boards for Winging

Postby Eltreato » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:13 am

To some degree I feel there is some overengineering with boards. I have a windfoil board I have been using for wingfoiling and it is fine. With that said, Idubt a inflatable would be as good of a board as it's hardboard counterparts in terms of performance, but it's stowability and durability may more than ake up for it. Once in the air the only real considerations are swing weight and stiffness as rail shape, rocker and outline become irrelevant.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:00 am

fluidity wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 am
Thanks for the thread Horst! I didn't see it when I started another very similar one. Do you have any idea of the differences in rigidity between the Manta and the Gong/Indianna boards? I was tempted by the manta due to local availability (in our country anyway) but not so excited about the limited size range or the deep tuttle box.
Yes, Manta offen starts interesting developments but didn't bring it to a wide market. But I think the 110 l may fit for many with normal weight. The last models also have a 165 x 90 connection even if I am a bit sceptical If it is done well. Anyway If you have time wait for the next models with fast improvements to come. Maybe I can test two more next week. Actually happy with the small Manta, also the lowend now with everything fine trimmed feels very good.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200714-232445.png

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 am

It's a pity there are deep tuttle and USA box options but restricted by manufacturer. Coming at it as a foiling newbie i like the USA box best and can choose between Naish, Gong and Indianna. I can also CNC up some aluminium plate and easily attach it to an old DIY kiteboard sinker and experiment with submerged water starts. I have a USA mast box on the covid affected courier... 2 months waiting so far.
Or I could 3D print a tuttle box attachment or mould to make one from but I think the USA box is slightly friendlier with the advantage of being able to be moved in it's fixing tracks.

SurfDing
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75kg
Gear: Gong, fone
Has thanked: 0

Postby SurfDing » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Gong do a tuttle adapter for their foils 39 euros. I'm looking at the 5'10 fone rocket air which I'm going to demo and if I bought one ide get the adaptor..

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Just a quick and dirty unpacking of my new Pendleboard labled by i-99 (Cesare Cantagalli) bought at Kitejunkie ...
https://www.pendleboard.co.uk/
https://www.duo-boards.com/
https://kitejunkie.com
unfortunately not yet tried, as my first trick was to break the valve screw of the hard board part. :oops:
Just wanted to make sure it is close it brokes at around 2 Nm ! as it is a hollow, self breathing one with two membranes but a super slim wall thickness of 1 mm (on the end just the screwthreat) but again unfortunately an as far I have seen 7/16" (11 mm) threat diameter, which is not the normaly used surf board valve screw diameter (around 9 mm) so hard in Continental Europe to get fast a well fitting replacement. Additionally unfortunately there was no description delivered with the board that could have told:
"WARNING, NEVER EVER touch the valve screw as it is self breathing one that will break in the moment you just come close with a 16 mm hexagonal head screw driver tool!" :-? The screw threat was also somehow clued in with some soft silicon like material ... which didn't improve the overall impression of this part.
Kitejunkie-Duoboard.jpg
Also the workmanship of the rest especially the soft part of the board, lets say, didn't look like above average. :-?

On the other hand, there are also fellow Germans, who claim that the clearance of a Tesla are not on the same level as on a VW or BMW, but I think this discussion may start for Tesla as for the duo-boards when there is another vehicle with the same features in the room and therefore can be ended here.

Respecting that you effectively buy a hard and a soft board additionally with the effort to glue them together, I still think the offer is very nice, additionaly with the windsurfsail option, 5 fin option. Base price for the simple design and 7'6" seems to be 1.299 €. As I understand not jet included is the price for the foil rails, which in my case have been place in after building the board but by the manufacturer, well take this info as you like it.

I hope to once do a rigidity test with all those inflatables, but for the Pendle it is already pretty clear: Depending from foil its position and style you may still stay with your front heel on the hard part of the board so the mean flexibility could be caused by the pretty thick deck pad. And so it also shouldn't be a problem maybe just for windsurfing option that the front part should be just inflated to 12-14 psi, in comparision to my Manta that recommends 15-20 psi. In the inflated setup with pressure I measured 9,1 kg nude. As you just have to inflate just half and also not to high pressure inflation of this 122 l board is by calculation and feel faster and less effort as for my 72 l board. And if ever used for a bit off shore (as I did those days in company of a sailboat) it feels good to have at least something about 60 litre that will always float what ever may happen.
Kitejunkie-Duoboard-Bag.jpg
The bag which should to be an important part of a well packing but still sensible hard tail board looks well padded maybe not on every corner but on all places where it is needed as seen.
It comes with 3 transport options (wheels, detachable shoulder strap and backpack straps) which all three seem to work well. Only part a bit missing would be an extra bag or case for the big parts like the pump, but shouldn't be a problem to find such a bag in any household. The bag seems to be build for all the board sizes as it is made for the hard tail which should be the same for all boards. So packed you may push the bag length together to 18 cm x 80 cm x 130 cm which means the two shorter boards will be folded once the longer has to fold twice. But as the bag is quite big you may also store additional kite or foil boards up to around 130 cm, tried it with a nude old kiteboard spleene S28 and the bag size didn't change. :D So also your foil and maybe even wing could find place, to have it all together. Delivered fins are plastic and the pump has detachable handles, the adapter for windsurf base M8 threat is not included.
Kitejunkie-Duoboard-Rest.jpg

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m

Postby twig » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi, any review of the gong hipe inflatable sup/Wing board? It would be nice to hear about the different sizes! The only thing that worries me are if its not angeled like some foilboards are, so that it would end Up like that you are running it with the nose a bit with a down angle, it looks like it in the commercial in the very few video frames that i see. Many foilboards are angeled so that it feels flat when gaining alot of Speed of you know what I mean.
Maybe om just over thinking and should just order one. It looks Good :)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 pm

twig wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 pm
...The only thing that worries me are if its not angeled like some foilboards are, so that it would end Up like that you are running it with the nose a bit with a down angle, it looks like it in the commercial in the very few video frames that i see. Many foilboards are angeled so that it feels flat when gaining alot of Speed of you know what I mean. ..
Yes I agree, have seen the angled back legs also in the videos and its a basic problem, that inflatables often seems to be shaped to flat and can even bend towards a negative pitch. But it is not to hard to compansate this with a shim, inbetween:
- board and strut: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2393935&p=1025417#p1025417
- or prefered strut and fuselage: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2393935&p=1102219#p1102219

as I mostly use with my Gong foils especially when riding my inflatable.
Using a shim here will set your compfortable, both legs even and just slightly angled, cruising speed to a higher level.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 am

I was keen for a Gong or an Indianna but I've gone with a locally available F-one. Wider than a door, 174? litres. no foot straps. Needs more than a breath of wind for me to ballance on, I tried on Saturday. Construction seems OK, I had already ordered a USA box mast mount and mast from aliexpress but I think the courier is held up by covid affected ports. The mast attachment is supposed to be tuttle but I can't find any on-line dimensions or pictures matching the mast base socket so I'll likely do a 3D printed mould for a carbon fibre composite joiner or a lost-PLA 3D printed model to replacement cast in aluminium. I already tested the socket with a 3D print that fits perfectly. Meanwhile my DIY designed, 3D printed foils and fuselage are nearing completion. Lots of work, I enjoy the challenge but the time I'm spending on it and cost in materials is likely already as much as the lower cost complete kits. Not exactly production line assembly!
FYI:
-The V1 F-One kit I got comes with:
Board(rolled up with spacer foam)
Valve tool + 2 x thick patches in a little tube, same dark blue and yellow as the foil air-sup.
Manual in French and English.
2 x M6 x 100 mm bolts with hex outside head
High pressure pump showing max 2 bar or 28PSI, recommended 17PSI and 21PSI absolute max, 15PSZI indicated as too weak.The pump has a longer stroke and is skinnier than a kite pump. There's an adjuster on it to convert from dual action to push only action, recommended for the last part of inflation.
A washer for the pump connection.
A massive bag with side straps to attach the pump. Note that after removing the packing foam the package can roll up much smaller.
Kid's Floaties fit around each fin for protection, this made me laugh.
-What's missing:
Leg leash.
Foil :lol:
Footstraps.

At 18PSI it's pretty rigid. After trying to bend it I'm of the opinion that once I get competent I'll be more concerned with wind affecting the large size of the board than swing weight at the front or flexing on the foil.
Note that the foil mast head tuttle attachment shown in the F-One manual has a base flange that spreads loading over the bottom of the tuttle box, it does not penetrate all the way to the top of the box.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:12 pm

I am testing the final prototypoes for the next generation of the Indiana Inflatables at the moment. So far everything is working well, so I think the first batch will be ready for sale end of August or Beginning of Sept.

There will be 44L, 71l, 103L, 144L and 157L. They all have M6 Inserts for the V-Straps.
IMG_20200731_125924-2.jpg
--
Gunnar

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Thank You for the input Gunnar,

even if I am stil happy with my 72 l Manta, I am going to keep an eye on the 71 l Indiana.

If saying that a wing board is not necessarily just riden in waves but in most cases in the flat, where advanced riders would start to go into jumping freestyle ...
you could say that Indiana might become the first brand to take inflatable wing boards serious as for jumping freestyle you just need a back strap. The option to have at least 3 positions to choose for all 3 straps underlines this to me.

I just wonder from visual impression if the straps are a bit close together. My self made back foot base to the front foot front base on my Manta actually is close to 90 cm, similar to my kite Groove Skate XS and something like 80 cm overall or even less I would expect to feel a bit to close together for freestyle.
-> Have you already measurements for the straps ?

The other interesting point for me again about jumping is weight. Would want to have it stiff and reliable for sure on the other hand
I already arrived at 8,5 kg
(Full assembled with Monofoil, 90 cm strut, 1100 cm² wing; wet heavy straps, leash, full 18 PSI air pressure ...)
Kitejunkie-iWingfoilboard@8,1kg.jpg
-> So any chance to have it maybe with a lighter foil at least inside 9 kg ?

To me the lack of a back strap and the weight of 6,4 kg for the 70 l GONG Hype are pretty much enough reasons to cancel it from the list of optional replacements for my Manta.

Return to “Wingsurfing”