Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflatable Boards for Winging

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Inflatable Boards for Winging

Postby fluidity » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:06 pm
<cut>
To me the lack of a back strap and the weight of 6,4 kg for the 70 l GONG Hype are pretty much enough reasons to cancel it from the list of optional replacements for my Manta.
Agree.Ii don't think a rear strap is needed on the 80kg+ boads as there is a lot of windage with them. As the boards get smaller though, jumping is more likely. And not impressed with the video on the HIPE page showing a jump at around 10? seconds- freeze is and you'll see it's with a non HIPE board that DOES have a footstrap. Misleading.
Pity because with the USA box mast mount, should be easy to ballance load point relative to straps.

But I'm so new :D Still to get up and foil!

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi Gunnar

with the posted range of 44L, 71l, 103L, 144L and 157L I wonder where the 120 somthing L is.
With 90kg naked, 103 seems tight and 144 almost to much. It does not seem to be very even.
Are there any changes in wight ?

Cheers Dirk

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:00 am

dirk8037 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:33 pm
Hi Gunnar

with the posted range of 44L, 71l, 103L, 144L and 157L I wonder where the 120 somthing L is.
With 90kg naked, 103 seems tight and 144 almost to much. It does not seem to be very even.
Are there any changes in wight ?

Cheers Dirk
They will be bringing a 125 also in the near future. Just signed off on the final shape for that.

--
Gunnar

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

There is again another brand coming up with 3 x iBoards for Winging:

https://grandtoursports.com/alle-produkte/#wing

I also updated my blog with a bit more content about shapes, tricks, jumping, and pics of it:

https://kj4l.com/?p=261
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
fluidity (Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:59 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

I also updated my blog with a bit more content about shapes, tricks, jumping, and pics of it:

Interesting, they are reportedle doing a large glass fibre mast attachment pad too.

I'm curious as to which manufacturer will be first though, to customise the drop-stitch strand lengths to provide serious contouring.soft side rails aren't so bad but it's much more efficient to have actual corners, edges at the stern of the boards to promote planing and release of water in wake.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Interesting, they are reportedle doing a large glass fibre mast attachment pad too.

I'm curious as to which manufacturer will be first though, to customise the drop-stitch strand lengths to provide serious contouring.soft side rails aren't so bad but it's much more efficient to have actual corners, edges at the stern of the boards to promote planing and release of water in wake.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:19 pm

fluidity wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:59 am

The technology exists, I will add some photos later on. I'm afraid the demand for such SUPs is not sufficient.. yet.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
Horst Sergio (Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 am

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:19 pm
fluidity wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:59 am

The technology exists, I will add some photos later on. I'm afraid the demand for such SUPs is not sufficient.. yet.
I'd really appreciate that!
I presume existing drop stitching machines have fixed stroke across both warp and weft of the top and bottom fabrice which would make glue-pressing of the PVC/vinyl etc flat layers fairly simple. But it can be argued that if the shape can be made as good, the rigidity close enough to hard board for feet and foil mast then the product can be considered superior to a hard uninflateable board. Currently the price point seems close to 2:1 for hard board vs high pressure inflateable board and I suspect the inflateable SUP technology is only around 10-15 years old. There is definitely room for improvement and manufacturers will tool up if it gives them a reputation for a superior product with the price not being a lot higher. I don't think the basic required modifications are even that difficult. For starters, the side rails aren't a big issue as a foil board never carves, it's sole job is to support the rider high enough to make starting easier and landing easier. The big improvements available are in modifying drop-stitch height between layers and moving the top and bottom material at independently controlled speeds. Between these two very simple changes, you can taper board thickness to the bow, place a small rocking point where hard boards wedge up for the kick onto the foil zone and also control overall curvature of the board. And that kick zone is important too because reducing the stern-tail height reduces the required material for a hard rear end cap which is the best way to improve board release performAance, both for pumping onto the foil and for releasing side touch-downs when in a heeled over turn.
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post (total 2):
irwe (Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 am) • nixmatters (Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:52 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

airic
Rare Poster
Gear: surf tomo evo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:56 pm

@airic: Great as mentioned in the very first post :wink: , but unfortunately still unable to fly with just front straps and a weight of 6,4 kg for the 4'11''

Happly the manta has 30% less weight and after updating the straps again also 3 for jibing. Comeing to a point where jumping starts to be more and more fun and to be the very main reason.
Hard to explain, have never been good in jumping with the windsurf, but the up to 2 m on the wing already feels more exciting than 10 m with the kite foil, even started to try flying landings.

Since I have seen tube kites 20 years ago I know that inflatable rubber boats can fly, but since winging I experienced that this can also be fun. :D
Kitejunkie Wing Foil Railey.jpg
Oh and by the way, heard again of another brand, so should be actually be around 7 brands, just didn't want to name it as long I don't have confirmation for the info.

Return to “Wingsurfing”